September 19, 2012

His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty


by


As always, we can thank twitter for this one. I was kinda cruising around, stalking peoples conversations because I am creepy like that, and I saw mention of this new book coming out. I had to have it!

Female pilot

WW2

Romance

set in Britain
Has nothing to do with this book I just like the pic
An American medic who is very handsome

Did I mention a female pilot in WW2?

With all of the talk lately about women's rights and things, I want to talk briefly (meaning ramble on for a while) about why I find WW2 so incredible.

Many people talk about the battles that men went through but what always fascinated me is what the women did and how they dealt with it. All over the world women took on the jobs that the fighting men of their generation normally would have done, instead of just being nurses and teachers. Women went to work in the factories; they became the police force; they became the work force of the world, not just building the war machines but also running the domestic world while the men went off to battle. Women ran the homes and they made paychecks.

Lets, talk about the real start of a revolution:
these women got a taste of things that their mothers never had AND they were vital to the war effort. They were an essential part of the allied victory.

Now what I like about this story:
First, the characters grow. These two are both strong-headed, independent people with very set ideas about how they want their lives to be after the war. Both have lived life, they have pasts; they are adults and it shows.

Next, the insecurities they have are realistic and fitting with who they are and where they are in their lives and the circumstances of war.

Finally, this book made me laugh and it made me cry. I really enjoyed it.

The thing I did not like:
My family demanding to be fed and paid attention to and such. I had to stop reading to go do things for them. Silly, demanding children.

I loved the tension between Joe and Lulu and the way their relationship built up naturally, not to mention the love letters between them. It has been said before: a good historical romance requires a LOT of research and this one is fabulously done. 

OK my favorite quotes (those little things that I had to highlight while reading; these made me smile for whatever reasons):

"Jesus, his imagination had no manners."

"The faint aftertaste of mint flavored tooth powder lingered in her mouth. Joe wanted to gobble her up like a peppermint stick."

"We all have work to do."

"Fly safe, Louise."

Now, why do I like that last quote? This bit killed me every time it was brought up in the book because of the life-and-limb situation she and her girlfriends were in. They did not say goodbye using nicknames; instead, they made it a more formal occasion and used their full names.
I love how Joe describes her as having a "quiet kind of vengeance". 

There are more, but if I put them up here I will end up spoiling too much of the story, and then you'll say, "I don't have to read it because SUE told me the whole thing already!"
I'm giving this one 4 stars. I really enjoyed this book--it was a damn good read and made me tear up in places. I loved the steamy romance and only rolled my eyes at a couple of things that pulled me from the story.

This review comes to you special this week because
Friday and Saturday we are doing a read a long AND a give away!
If you have not already entered via Facebook, Twitter, or here on the read-a-long tab, you can enter below by leaving a comment.

HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN WIN:

E-copies of all 3 of Carrie's books!

So you can have a copy of His Very Own Girl to give away to a friend!

We will have one winner each night and winners will be announced here on the blog, on Twitter, and on our Facebook page.

GOOD LUCK, AND HAPPY READING!



Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Laura Russell said...

That photo that has nothing to do with the Carrie's book? I like him. Meanwhile I do like historical romance and these sound intriguing

Sue said...

I love that pic I could not resist using it but it really has nothing to do with the book. In this story the female lead Lulu is the pilot great book I hope to see you tonight on twitter at the read a long

Post a Comment