September 19, 2011

SUEs interview with Symphiann about her fic 'Blue Satin and Cowboy Boots'





There were 4 unwritten laws in Forks during 1883.1-you listened to your Pa.2-You worshipped God.3-You did your chores without complaint.4-You stayed away from the Cullen brothers. I had no problems with those laws until a pair of green eyes looked my way.
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 9 - Words: 25,626 - Reviews: 291 - Updated: 9-17-11 - Published: 7-13-11 - Bella & Edward



I found this story because it was listed in an archive of historical Twifics. I was excited to find something new out there being written and currently updated.
This is a cute story that has part mystery about the "bad boys". You never really find out what it is that they have done just that the good town people say to stay away from them.


Bella in this story is a simple farm girl whose life is chores and more chores. She is getting to be a grown woman and is expected to be courted by young men, especially Mike who is a wealthy mans son.


She is not interested in Mike. The man she is interested in is Edward. He has been nice to her and in her mind she does not see why the townspeople think he is a trouble maker. He has been nothing but polite to her.


The blue satin comes in because the general store has a bolt of this very pretty fancy fabric that is not at all what a practical farmers daughter would even own.


So why do I like it? I adore the little interludes between Edward and Bella that are completely innocent. We are talking a few moments here and there during the story usually in a crowd of people so no one can question anything that has happened between them.


I like how Bella is questioning the opinions of her community because of her limited interaction with this young man. And, well, it's just a cute escape fic that is well told


Now you know what to do. Give it a read, let the author know what you think and then come on back here and tell me if you agree with me!


Here is my interview with Symphiann:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was it that gave you the 'spark' for your story? Was it a picture? A
moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
I guess there wasn’t really one thing that brought this story to mind. I have always loved this era, the simplicity of everyday life. I wrote a short story in high school set in this time and I found it the other day while cleaning out our storage closet, I re-read it and it inspired me to write something completely different this time around. The other stories that I have posted have all been set in the present, I wanted to give my readers something different.


Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any 'triggers' to get you in the writing mood?
I listen to music. Mostly classical piano. I pop my ear buds in, open a can of Diet Dr. Pepper and write away.


Give us an elevator pitch. Say you're in an elevator with a prospective
reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
I guess I would say something like this: “If you are looking for a story that is a little different from the norm. Something filled with first love, cowboys, secret rendezvous, and some outlaw action, then “Blue Satin and Cowboy Boots” is the story for you. I have so many things in mind that won’t follow the norm. I have a lot of twists and turns planned for the future. Bella is going to be tested in ways that she never thought possible. It’s going to be quite the adventure, one that I hope you want to take with me.


Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone
else entirely? If so, who?
Hmmm… I like both Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart as the leads. I also see Ashley Green, Kellan Lutz, Jackson Rathbone, and Cam Gigadent for their characters. I love Taylor Launter; he is perfect for Jacob in the books but not so much in my story. I envision someone more menacing looking. Also in place for Rosalie, I always imagine a blonde Olivia Wilde. She is the perfect Rose. At least in my humble opinion.


Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your
pants thing?
I would say that it is 50/50. I have all the major events planned out, but the little things that build each chapter just write themselves.


Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
I love both of my Beta’s! Yuki-Sakura Chan is my amazing Beta on “Blue Satin and Cowboy Boots” and she also did “Where You Belong”. Sabi’s Sookie is a great help on my other story “The Other Twin” I couldn’t do this without them!


Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
I have another story that I am posting on right now called “The Other Twin”. I hope to finish that one before I start another. But I do have a least a dozen of different starts saved to my laptop, so we’ll see which on jumps out at me when I’m ready.


I am also working on an original novel. I hope to have it finished shortly.


What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic? What is it that has kept
you here (besides your own writing).
I had just finished “Breaking Dawn” and was going through a major withdrawal. One day I found myself on the IMdB.com message boards for Twilight and saw someone posted something about a little known story “Wide Awake” ;) I was curious to what the fuss was all about and figured I would read a chapter or two. I was hooked. I read anything and everything could get my eyeballs on. I think the thing that really got me was that you never had to let these characters go. You fall in love with all of them and with Fanficition you can keep meeting them over and over again.


Do you have a background in writing?
I have always loved to write. I use to write my little sister short stories to read before bed. I got a lot of praise from my English teachers and also from anyone who read my stuff but I have never taken any classes for it or advanced myself that way. I am looking into taking an online creative writing class through my local college next spring.


How about your creative self-confidence? By nature writers tend to be a
notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing
experience?
It is scary! One part of me is excited to post a new chapter, it’s a rush but with every review I get, I pause before opening it. I’m always nervous that it is going to be something bad. It’s tough putting yourself out there like that and not know what you are going to get back. Posting online is easier, I assume, then publishing something. Right now I can hide behind my computer and lick my wounds if someone is mean but when I publish something I know it will be a lot harder.


Do you tell your friends and family that you're an online author with a
devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
My close friends and family know about this. My best friend/cousin is actually my pre-reader. She reads everything before anyone else. I value her input so much! My little sister still reads everything I write, it must be set in from her youth. My mom is my number one supporter, she is always pushing me to finish my own novel.


Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the
most?
I guess I would say Bella. It’s hard not to identify with the person you are writing. So much of my own thoughts or feelings become hers. I think what would I do if I was in that situation.


Which RL author(s) inspires you?
Wow, that is a tough one! I love to read, so I always have a book stashed somewhere. If I had to narrow the list down I would say: Stephenie Meyer (Of course), Danielle Steel, Nicholas Sparks, and Charlaine Harris.


Did any FF authors inspire you? What was it that had you reading FF and
thinking "I could do this"?
This is another tough one! There are so many amazing authors on FF that it’s hard to choose. If I had to pick though, I would go with: BrattyVamp, Beegurl13, Ezrocksangel, George girl, Isakassess, Lady Gwynedd, Psyche001, Troublefollows1017.…I could go on and on!


at least he has a cowboy hat!
There wasn’t one thing in particular that had me decide to write something. Just one day I was like “I can do this.” I just started writing something that I would want to read and it went from there.


What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
Try your hardest! It gets tough. Never force your writing, it shows in your work if you do. If you are have a moment of writers block, step away. I find that if I start writing on something else, that it sometimes kicks my brain back into gear.


Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I always read magazine back to front. Not sure why, that’s just the way I do it.


If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional
who would it be and what would you say to them?
I would choose my Grandma Betty. I guess that’s not a very creative or glamorous choice. But I miss her something fierce and I would give anything for fifteen minutes to give her a hug, tell her about what she’s missed since she passed and to also let her know how much I love her and miss her.


What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
My biggest Pet peeve would be: Making Tanya or James be the bad guy. I know I’m being a hypocrite here, because I used them both in that context in my first story. But I like the stories that “Think outside of the box” on the villain or “other woman”!
just because Ben Hill is cute


What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
This one is easy. My biggest peeve here is people that are overtly critical to the point of being mean. I don’t understand it. No one is a professional here by any means and if you want a perfect story with no grammar mistakes then go to your local book store and buy yourself a book. There is a difference between constructive criticism and just being flat out mean.


Anything else you would like to add?
The only thing I can think to add here is a big fat thank you. First to you guys at “So you think you can write” for choosing my and my story “Blue Satin and Cowboy Boots” for an interview. Secondly to my fans! You guys are the best readers and reviewers that this girl could ask for!
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment