November 22, 2010

Tanja's interview with Jaxington about her fic "Life in B Minor"



Bella and Edward are the most unlikely couple at their California private school.  She is the queen bee and he is the soulful musician, but against the odds they fall in love.  At 18, Bella gets pregnant and the stresses of the music industry tear them apart. Ten years later, they are brought together again.  
BxE then BxJ and back to BxE

I suck really, really bad. I had everything in this post ready for nearly a month but couldn't find the inspiration for my actual write-up. So here's what I'm coming up with on Monday morning 7am....

Back in the day, when I was still reading fics over at Twilighted, I was browsing the Most Recent Update pages and saw the summary for this story called Life in B Minor. Back then it was only 3 chapters and didn't have a banner (you know, I usually started reading a fic based on the banner). But seeing as I LOVE stories where Bella gets pregnant or already has kids I thought I'd give it a try.

Life in B Minor tells the story "rich girl" Bella and Edward, a musician. Both met at 16, going to the same school but Bella never noticing Edward. The story is told in the present about 12 years after they met with Bella being a single mom to her and Edwards daughter Vanessa, working for her fathers recording company, and Edward being a famous rockstar with his band Vampire Sunrise. Flashback chapters show what happened in all those years leading to Edward and Bella not being together anymore.

I really love Jaxingtons writing stye and personally wouldn't never have thought this was her first story. I don't think it's easy to write present and past and don't get everything completely mixed up (that's what would happen to me)

So if you want to read a newly complete fic about the music industry, rockstars, a strong Bella and a relationship with misunderstandings like any other normal relationship you should read Life in B Minor. Oh, and did I mention Daddyward? (for a better summary read the elevator pitch question)

Enough of my sensless rambling, read what Jaxington has to say.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


1. What was it that gave you the ‘spark’ for your story?  Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
I don’t recall a specific moment of inspiration or spark. I played around with storylines in my head for flippin ever before I finally wrote something down. 

Otherwise… I get ideas from music and humorous episodes from the wackiness of my real life.

2. Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any ‘triggers’ to get you in the writing mood?
I wish I had a process.  It would make my life a whole lot easier.  Occasionally, I attempt to designate specific times to get chapters done, but it never works out. It comes and goes in creative waves I suppose. The mood will strike me randomly and it is a frenzy to get all the words out of my system. When balancing college and real life, it is incredibly inconvenient because I totally neglect everything else when I am writing. Also I get horribly frustrating writers block.

I always, always, always have mood music. When writing Life in B Minor, I listened to the songs used in the chapters. Sometimes I get obsessed with a song and put it on repeat. 

3. Give us an elevator pitch. Say you’re in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
Well, I like to think Life in B Minor has a little bit of everything.  Romance, angst, lemons, humor, and music.  It is a story of the consequences of miscommunication and redemption.  The characters are relatable and genuine.  Edward and Bella aren’t endlessly tortured, as they typically tend to be in fanfiction.  They both make mistakes and love fiercely.

Despite the real life component, there is the fanciful as well.  Life in B Minor has sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll.  Plus, Tat/Daddyward is really quite hot.

4. Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?
Nope, sure don’t.  I read the book before I saw the movies and used a little thing called my imagination to make my own Edward and Bella. 

That is not to say I don’t like Rob and Kristen and the rest of the gang in the movies. They just aren’t the real thing in my head.

5. Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
Before I wrote Life in B Minor, I knew how I wanted the story to begin and how I wanted it to end. I had a few major scenes I wanted to hit, but mostly the journey was a mystery to even me.

6. Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
I have no beta. I am beta-less. So instead of a shout out, I shall use this section as an advertisement opportunity. I have a new story in the works, anyone interested in being my beta?

7. Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
Yes!  I do. I have about 3 chapters written in a new story called Hallett Hall.  It is a college flick. They say writers should write about what they know, and I know about college at the University of Colorado, so there you go.

Bella and Edward, total opposites, meet as freshmen in college under embarrassing circumstances. Edward thinks he’s in love. Bella is freaked out and has abandonment issues. High jinks ensue. Told through a series of flashbacks, because I love me a good flashback.

Once again, there are no vamps. But maybe someday.

8. What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)
happened upon the vast world of fanfiction about a year and a half ago.  I was really sick and it was summer vacation and had only my laptop to keep me company. I came upon twilighted.net whilst stumbling about on the internet and fell in love instantly. 

And now I am completely obsessed. I love the stories and frankly, I find some fics to be superior to the originals. I read them all the time. It is a problem.
  
9. Do you have a background in writing?  
A bit, I suppose. I have kept a journal since I was in 6th grade. I wrote for the school newspaper and took creative writing in high school. Next semester I am taking Intro to Fiction, so that is something to look forward too. It is also terrifying.

10. How about your creative self-confidence? By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
I am totally, crazy insecure about my writing.  Academic writing, I rock. But the fiction? It is much more personal and I had to get drunk to muster up the courage to post the first chapter of Life in B Minor.

Yet, at the same time I really don’t mind a good, critical review. I want to improve as a writer and I can’t do that without critique. So hurt me. I can take it and will probably only cry a little.

11. Do you tell your friends and family that you’re an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
Oh no. No, no, no, no. Absolutely no one in my real life knows about my online writing. It is my dirty little secret (see prior question). But beyond insecurity, I like having something that is just for me. Fanfiction is the one thing in my life that is totally and solely mine.  And that’s the way I like it.

12. Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most?  
Oh baby. I like this question. Well, honestly I think I am going to have to say Edward. I get cranky and annoyed. Often. I know what is like to be pissed off and out of control. I know what it is like to hate yourself for loving someone you can’t have. I am hard on the outside and mush in the middle. I am also a total fuck up, but I like to think I am on my way to self-improvement.

13. Which RL author(s) inspires you?
Well. Stephanie Meyer. Shockingly. 

But besides the obvious… I have to say Andre Brink as my token genuine literature author.  J.K Rowling (of course).  Tiffanie DeBartolo, author of my absolute favorite book ever How to Kill a Rockstar.  And shamefully I must admit I love a good Nora Roberts or Susan Elizabeth Phillips read.

14. Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and thinking “I could do this”?
I loved Faking It by spanglemaker and With Teeth by TalulaBlue and Tropic of Virgo by In.a.blue.bathrobe when I first started writing Life in B Minor. Right now I am obsessed with anything by KiyaRaven or Savage7289.

15. What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
Just do it!  Suck it up, face your fear, and just post the damn thing! Also get a beta. I wish Life in B Minor had a beta. Did I mention I am looking for a beta?

16. Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I have never eaten a hamburger because of my crazy, hippy mother. When at home, I prefer to wear only my underpants. I am a history major with an Africa obsession.

17. If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional who would it be and what would you say to them?
Abraham Lincoln. For sure. Without a doubt. He is so sexy. Also wise. And yes, I know I am strange. We would talk about the Civil War all damn day and do some stuff that requires no words.

18. What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
Stories with no real plot.             

19. What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
The endless, Harry Potter vs. Twilight debate.  It is annoying and stupid.  I really don’t think the two are comparable.  And as someone who grew up alongside Harry Potter, I must say I really don’t think there is any debate.  Please don’t be offended.

20. Anything else you would like to add?
Thank you, thank you, thank you for selecting me to be a part of your blog.  I grinned like an idiot when I got the email request.  I am so honor and blown away by the response to my teeny little story.

Also, I recently started a blog on tumblr where I plan on posting teasers and updates for upcoming stories and answering questions. Check it out at http://jaxington.tumblr.com/

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment