November 18, 2010

Sue's interview with RochelleAllison author of 'Starry Eyed Inside'



High School Fictional. No one sends Bella into a tailspin quite like Edward Cullen... but can she make him hers? The ups and downs and all arounds.
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 13 - Words: 61,633 - Reviews: 2540 - Updated: 11-16-10 - Published: 8-24-10 - Bella & Edward


AHHHHHH High School...

For some a great time, for others welll..... not so great.
Remember that guy? You know the one the guy... He was hot, he was elusive, he was cool and seemingly untouchable? YUP that one. Picture him in your mind. I know who was mine and I felt like a complete fool when I stuttered and stammered and said the worlds stupidest things in front of him.

WELL this fic captures all those horrible insecure High School type feelings.
Does he like me? Did he smile my way? Do I look OK? Is there something on my face? Snd the worst EVER moment when he actually SPEAKS to you?
Butterflies.

That "Imma gonna puke and giggle at the same time please do not let me do the snort laugh" thing in front of him! The whole "my parents are too stupid to breathe" thing we all felt as teens and our friends are our lifeline through the mess of adolescence 

If you have read ANYTHING by Ro you know her stuff is fabulous and simple and real. The plots are not complicated, full of twists and turns and fantastical stuff. This story is such a sweet fic. Not overly fluffy but one of those "WOW, I wish I could tell a story like that". I do not want to tell too much about the story because I hate to give anything away.

SO take SUE's advice. Read it you will not be sorry!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was it that gave you the 'spark' for your story? Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
Well, I'd had a lot of requests to do a high school story. A couple of years
ago I wrote a story for Nanowrimo, mainly as an experiment just to see if I could get it done. The story was loosely based on my highschool experience, and that of my friend's. Starry eyed Inside is a (majorly) reworked version of
that.

Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any 'triggers' to get you in the writing mood?
As much as i adore music, I prefer silence when I write. The only triggers I have to write are the knowledge that Tuesday night's coming and I better get off my butt. People put too much into "feeling inspired". Sometimes you just have to discipline yourself and do it.

Give us an elevator pitch. Say you're in an elevator with a prospective
reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
It's a coming of age story, about a girl making her way through highschool.
There's this guy who plays a huge role in that, and this is how they come
together, fall apart, and come back together.

Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?
I don't really picture specific people or faces for any of my characters or stories.

Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
A little bit of both. This is the first story I've written where the skeleton
of the story and all the major events are already mapped out.

Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
Yes, Nicki (aka nicnicd). She's sugar-sweet and amazingly patient and we have synergy, baby. Seriously. We've been together since Volition.

Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
Right now, I am just focused on SEI. There are ideas for a fic off in the
future, but, that's far off.

What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)
I started reading Twific because I'd read the original Twilight saga a few
times and I loved it. I wanted more. Plus, like most people, BD's fade to black nonsense left me... erm... frustrated. :) I have stayed because of the wonderful creativity and the sheer number of juicy stories, the sense of
community, the friends I've made, and the opportunity to work on and share my own writing. It's fun! Like a club we're all part of.

Do you have a background in writing?
Not really.I was good at it in school.

How about your creative self-c  onfidence?  By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
Well, at first it was terrifying. Like, knots-in-stomach anxiety. I'm better
now. Although, every single time I post a new chapter I sort of hold my breath, hoping people don't hate it. It's scary, sharing your stuff like that. On one hand, you want to be true to yourself but on the other you want people
to enjoy what you produce. I still dislike getting pissy reviews, obviously, but I'm not as angst-ridden about it as I used to be. It used to ruin my mood... now I'm able to react, deal with it, and move on a bit more quickly. Progress!

Do you tell your friends and family that you're an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
Not really. A few close friends know, and a few read.

Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most?
Bella. Some of the scenes... happened to me. Verbatim. Which is why when some people question the likelihood or validity, I just smile. If you only knew.

Which RL author(s) inspires you?
It depends on what kind of story I'm writing I guess. I mean, I can list
writers who I love, and who have probably impacted how I write or what I write
about... ee cummings, Gwendolyn Brooks, Judy Blume, Stephen King, Maggie
Stievater, and yeah - Stephenie Meyer. Everyone complains that she can't
write, but you know what? She told a damn juicy tale that kept us captivated.
And, she inspired me to start writing. I thought shoot, if she can do it, so
can I.

Did any FF authors inspire you? What was it that had you reading FF and thinking "I could do this"?
Well, it was the Age of Edward (summer 2009) that got me thinking I needed to write.
As for fic authors who inspired me way back when... Vixen1836, ezrocksangel,
Jennyfly (aka thallium81), halojones, smellyia, AngstGodess.

What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
Get a good beta or two, and set aside time to write. Don't get discouraged -
your writing gets better the more you do it. I look at early stuff I wrote and
CRINGE. (The original manuscript for Starry Eyed Inside is so fantastically
lame it makes me blush. It's horrendous.)

Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I like honey sandwiches. I like the number 3. When I was little I wanted to be a movie star.

If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional
who would it be and what would you say to them?
Jesus. I'd talk the man's ear off.

What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
Oh, the usual. Cliches - whether sexual or general. Unrealistic dialogue.
Majoring on the minors (details). Turretts-level cussing... I mean, really.
Chill.

What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
Rampant bitchiness. Constant criticism of every. little. thing. As women, we
should be uplifting and encouraging each other. But some people are too
prideful and full of themselves while others are trifling and backstabby.
When the Fandom is good, it's great. It's amazing. But when it's bad...

Anything else you would like to add?
Not really. Thanks for interviewing me! xoxo!!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment