September 30, 2010

Sue's interview with SDfreeze about her fics The Cube, Tilt , and Drift


Bella is a unique girl, to say the least, and meets Edward when he needs to learn a different way to live. She helps him look at the world in a whole new way and find true love.
 TILT
 Can a squiggle and a Lemniscates make a marriage work and have a child? Will Edward, ah, learn to trust women and will Bella finally learn to listen *SEQUEL To The Cube*
Family life with a squiggle can be tough, but a trip to Hawaii with their friends gives Edward, ah, and Bella an adventure of a lifetime. *Third in the trilogy of The Cube and Tilt*


I am reviewing a trilogy for you, today. A trio of fics that had me laughing, shaking my head, guffawing, giggling, etc.

I got this rec from none other than the fabulous WriteonTime123. Yes, I stalk her tweets. Do not worry, she knows I am her stalker, and she is OK (or at least she says she is).

This trio of fics has brought to me, what I can confidently say is just the best Bella EVER!

Yes, I know I have said it before, but this Bella is just so fantastic. She is her own person and is happy with that.

I LOVE THAT!

This Bella looks at the world in a different way, and she sees things that may or may not be there.

It is creative people like Bella that make life interesting, however she cannot survive as a squiggle in a world of squares. She needs a translater, someone who can fit in both the square world, and one who understands and appreciates the squiggles of the world, for the beauty they bring. She needs a...

Lemniscate ....

Enter Edward. He is, well, sweet, gullible, sweet and just so Edward. Ah, most of the time...

I like this fic. I love to laugh and this has some hotness in it, along with the giggles. It also reminds you of the fun of fic.

So go read it! Leave her lovin', etc., etc. You will not regret it! Trust me!


 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


What was it that gave you the ‘spark’ for your story?   Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?

I just let story ideas run around in my head and the ones that take hold are the ones I go with. For Cube I was thinking, what would make an incredible guy go for an unusual girl? He would have to be a bit broken and needing something different. So I came up with an Edward who was constantly picking the wrong women and added the serial proposer for comedic effect.

 Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any ‘triggers’ to get you in the writing mood?

I can write anytime, anywhere, and under any conditions. I am an expert at ignoring anything going on around me. But I mainly write when I get home from work to unwind or on business trips to stay out of trouble.

Give us an elevator pitch. Say you’re in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?

How do you explain a squiggle in two minutes??Okay, Bella is a squiggle in a square world. She wants to find a man who loves her the way she is and refuses to change. Edward is not a squiggle but not a square either; he’s a lemniscates and a forever kind of guy. He has been married twice to women who cheated on him and all he wants is someone loyal. He meets Bella at his father’s company as he is going through a divorce from Bella’s nemesis…the town whore, Jessica.

The majority of Bella’s life happens in her own mind, which Edward totally understands. Jasper is Edward’s roommate and best friend, but very southern. He falls for northern girl Alice, who has to pretend to be southern to keep him after having sex on his kitchen table. Rose is Bella’s roommate and best friend and knocked up by Emmett….who Bella loathes, but without really any reason. They all exist together in Bella’s squiggle world.

Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?

I picture Sues as Phyllis from The Office but the rest are all the regular actors.
Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?

I always make an outline and never give the story a title until it is finished. But, the characters often deviate from the outline and it drives me crazy.
Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shout out here
?

On Twilighted my beta is Shabbyapple and I adore her.    

Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?

Actually the third story in the squiggle trilogy, Drift, will be my last because my husband is threatening to leave me. But for some reason the Edward from Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down, haunts me. I feel he has something more to say but I took his story clear to his death in the sequel, so I’m not sure what it is.

What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)

I was a semi fan of the books but didn’t care for the whole Vamp angle, so I came to Fanfiction to read human versions of the characters. I got hooked.
  
Do you have a background in writing?  

Only grants for not-for-profits.

How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?

I have matured throughout the process. At first I literally cried from the mean things people would say, but I began to learn so much about myself in the process, it got easier to ignore the idiots. The stories came from MY head and took the path I wanted them to take, so I grew stronger by staying true to what I had finished and not getting swayed by comments.

Do you tell your friends and family that you’re an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?

Are you kidding, I BEG them to read my stories and NONE of them will. I even began printing them and giving them as b-day gifts (along with a card and money) to my sisters, but they just returned them.

Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most?  

Oh, Jessica, totally.

Which RL author(s) inspires you?

I like all of Tracy Chevalier’s books. Thomas Hardy is my favorite author. Ann Rice can write two whole pages about lighting a candle and you can actually feel the freaking heat!

Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and thinking “I could do this”?

I can’t say one specific story or author, I think I read so many varied stories that my own ideas began to grow and rattle around in my head. I wouldn’t say I am at the point I comfortably feel, “I can do this.”
How SUE sees this Bella

What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?

Write YOUR story, don’t let comments lead you or you’ll be constantly unhappy with the direction. If you have some real life issue give it to a character and save the therapy money. Man, I want thousands of dollars back!!

Give us a Random Fact about yourself?

If anyone comments on the food on my plate I can’t eat it, no idea why, but if you talk about my potatoes it is the same as spitting in them. Crazy I know.
 
Author's view of Bella. I must admit this is adorable!
If you could have 15 minutes with anyone, alive or dead, real or fictional, who would it be and what would you say to them?

Real: Chaucer, I would ask him to marry me and then make out with me.

Fictional: Hamlet, I would just ask him to make out with me.
What is your FanFic Pet peeve?

I honestly don’t mind the grammar errors or spelling mistakes. If I can feel the story nothing else matters. But I don’t get the whole one chapter every few months. Why begin loading if you can’t finish it?

What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
FLAMERS, I hope there is a special room in hell for them. If you don’t like the story move on and find one you do like. Nobody needs to hear your narcissistic comments, hellhounds!!


Anything else you would like to add?


I would like to encourage everyone to let their inner squiggle free and shit without permission!!


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sue....
I just finished Drift last night. I read all three stories after seeing you rave on twitter (I guess I kinda stalk you) but I know you don't mind. Anyhoo. I loved all of Bella's names and comments about Emmett and the turn around at the end. Hilarious.
mel24fan

Post a Comment