April 11, 2010

Undiscovered Gems

Photobucket

Disclaimer: Please note that we from SYTYCW haven't read the stories we mention in Undiscovered Gems (at least not all of them). This here is mainly an opportunity for authors to pimp their stories. =)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Photobucket
My Heart With You by llynn20
Author twitter: llynn20ff
Summary: Escaping the trauma of her past, Bella finds solace in solitude with the exception of a promise made to continue playing her guitar. Edward’s past seems to be catching up with him as well, but he finds himself running towards instead of away from it.

WHY should I (the reader) read your story?
Because I'm still working on it every day and I update every 7-10 days. Few things are more disappointing than an author creating something that they don't continue to create or complete. My Bella is older and has a little more experience in life. She's got great friends that aren't wallpaper, she's got a career, she's got a hobby. She grows in my story. Edward's story is a bit of a surprise that is going to slowly be revealed. There is a plot. Promise.

Where did you get inspiration?
My Bella is loosely based on my younger sister who knows this and doesn't seem to mind. I like to research history, so there's a dash of that. I'm also inspired by music, which plays a pretty big role in the story. I have a playlist included on my ff.net profile.

What do you think is the BEST thing about your fic?
My beta, NotEvenTheTrees. Oh, and the mysteries that are woven throughout. The chapters aren't super long and I love writing little cliffhangers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Photobucket

"Closer, Cold Desert." by MariahajilE

Note from the author: I can understand why RP fics have gotten a bad rap lately so I get why you may be reluctant to read them. I've always been more of a ExB reader myself so writing a fic, let alone an RP fic, just wasn't on my radar. HOWEVER (see how I went with the shouty capitals there?), my story's not quite like other RP fics out there (or so I've been told). My story's currently a WIP, halfway to hitting that "Complete" button. It's available on Twilighted and FF, and, for some unknown reason to me, has garnered a teeny, tiny following. It's not popular by any means, but those who do read are loyal and very, ahem, passionate about it. What I was hoping for was to get you, the non-RP fic reader, to maybe take a gander and let me know your thoughts. I'm looking for honest, constructive criticism.

Summary: "Average girl and hopeless romantic Iris meets one of Twilight's most notable stars, Jackson Rathbone, after a freak incident. A friendship between the two quickly blossoms, but her growing feelings for Jackson are starting to plague her every thought. Iris begins to wonder if a friendship is going to be good enough for her, and, if not, how to deal with the feelings and consequences they bring."

Why should I (the reader) read your story?
One thing I am very passionate about with this fic is that I try to write it as realistically as possible. The main character, Iris, deals with self-esteem and body issues just as most woman do. She doesn't look like she was hatched out of a plastic surgeon's office and she's trying to deal with that on top of having feelings for a man who quickly became her friend and a crush. My current readers tell me it's funny, crackalicious, gives the average girl hope.

Where did you get the inspiration?
Not to get all SM on you, but the inspiration for this story came from four separate dreams I had. When I described my dreams to one of my BFFs, an obsessed fan fic reader, she immediately suggested I turn it into an RP fic. Once I started writing, I wanted to keep all the characters as true to form as possible. That, along with a need to keep it as realistic as an RP fic can be, inspire me to write the best I can.

What do you think is the BEST thing about your fic?
I know I keep harping on this, but it's the realistic aspect that really strikes a chord with my current readers. I happen to agree. Iris is a character that many people can identify with because she's real. She has issues and insecurities. She needs to be smacked upside the head every once in a while. She doesn't always have the answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Summary: Bella Swan, archeologist & resident snark wants to lose herself digging for history. Edward Cullen, vampire & protector of humans wants to find Bella & the ancient tablet she unearths before the Volturi do. Adventure, humor, and citrusy action abound in a story sure to keep you guessing and laughing.

WHY should I (the reader) read your story?
Bella Swan and the Tablet of Truth is a rare find in the world of fic because it's snarky fun mixed with adventure. Think Indiana Jones with estrogen and lots of bad language. OH, and vampires. Don't get me wrong, I love an angsty love story as much as the next reader and I love a crack fic but there aren't all that many stories that incorporate great banter, fun plot, and unexpected danger out there. I believe that my Bella and Edward skim the norm of their canon characters, taking just enough to still make them Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. They look the same, have the same likes, and the same families but really thats where the similarities with Ms. Meyer's creation ends.

Bella is a dedicated and talented archaeologist with a particularly wonderful foul mouth and self reliant demeanor. She's living in a world that for years has been dominated by men so she's constructed a tough exterior that only her best friend, Angela, knows how to get around. She's never felt the need to rely on a man for support or attention and is comfortable in her own skin.

Edward IS NOT A VIRGIN but still a vamp who is a little cocky, very intelligent, and no where near the emo mess he is normally. He plays off of his family well and handles things the way a normal guy would. He's not hung up on being a "monster", uses his talents for good. and is not sparkly (sorry to all of you who enjoy the sparkly peen...it just wouldn't work;). He's really more of a regular joe who happens to be a member of a supermodel undead family out to protect the world from the likes of the Volturi...who are still nasty creepy dudes with bad hair and freaky eyes.

I wanted to have fun with these incredible characters and let them have fun in turn without the constraints of too many emotions and love triangles. This is not to say that there will never be any drama or occasional sexual/emotional tension because there will be, but it will never be the focus and will almost always be resolved quickly.

I suppose if you're looking for something deep and introspective then this fic is not for you but if you need something to make you laugh and wanna dry hump a vampire then by all means...READ AWAY!

Where did you get inspiration?
My inspiration was born of my love for Indiana Jones and archaeology. I realize that in the real world archaeology is nothing like the movies but they are fun to watch and get lost in...besides, Indy is one hot bitch! Just saying. The idea of digging through hundreds of years of soil to find everyday artifacts that people used once upon a time has always appealed to me. Archaeology is an interesting profession and brings history alive for the masses.

Initially I struggled with an all human version of this story that was supposed to be more serious suspense with Edward as the archaeologist but I could never get past the snarky, funny Bella in my head. SHE had the loudest voice and every time I sat down to write I would start off with every intention of writing something kind of dark and serious but end up with hilarity. It just didn't work. One day I let that Bella take control and BS&tToT is what I got in return. I have had more fun writing this than I ever imagined and with each new chapter I fall harder for the story and characters.

What do you think is the BEST thing about your fic?
Honestly, the best thing about my story is the mystery that is brewing in the form of the tablet and its history. Of course the characters are strong, the dialogue is witty, and I pray I am descriptive enough in the setting but the mystery will be what keeps people reading. Well, that and the hot chemistry between our two main characters. I suppose that's just to be expected...lol! My fascination for all things historical helped me brew quite a backstory that will surely throw some people for a loop while they laugh at the hijinks all our characters get up to while uncovering each new piece of the puzzle. Snark, adventure, and sexy times my dears...that is what Bella Swan and the Tablet of Truth is all about.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment