April 11, 2010

Rae’s interview with LittleClareStar, author of 'On My Own'

Kiltward Banner:
On My Own by LittleClareStar

Summary: Reluctantly running the family house & estate on an island off the West Coast of Scotland, having inadvertently run it towards bankruptcy, ex Soldier Edward Cullen has help forced upon him by the bank, in the shape of one I Swan. Rated M

I love On My Own for a variety of reasons, but one is the originality of the setting. It takes place in Scotland. At the time LittleClareStar (or LCS for short) started writing this, it was the only fic with a Scottish Edward. To me, that was entirely fascinating. I fell in love with it almost immediately. Edward is a bit of an asshole but also quite sweet. He’s hilarious in the fact that he lacks a brain to mouth filter, which causes him a lot of problems with Ms. Bella Swan. AND he wears a KILT! You can’t tell me you don’t find that HOT!

In On My Own, Edward has the responsibility of running his family’s estate, which just so happens to be on the brink of bankruptcy. Bella, is the “Bank Bot” (as she refers to herself) assigned to straightening out the whole mess Edward has found his family’s estate in. Of course, their initial meeting and interactions are anything but friendly (he sees her as a pain in his ass coming to take his land away and she see’s him as an idiot fuck-up) but somehow along the way they begin to build something and Bella finds herself, much to her dismay, heavily intertwined into the lives of The Cullen’s and everyone working on the estate. This of course leads to a variety of issues, misunderstanding’s and inevitable heartache.

‘On My Own’ is incredibly original and entertaining. Edward is hilarious in his lack of filter and half the time you end up wanting to slap him for his idiocy. But there is something incredibly enduring about it. ‘On My Own’ is now in its final chapters and I’m going to be incredibly saddened to see it end. I’ve fallen in love with LCS’s characters and have found myself many times yelling at my computer for the ridiculous predicaments they find themselves in. So if you want to read something with some humor, romance and a little heartache thrown in for good measure give ‘On My Own’ a whirl. You won’t regret it. Trust me (have I lead you astray yet?? No I have not).

Here is my interview with LittleClareStar. This was my first interview on Skype, so we spent a lot of time laughing and less time writing down answers to questions! But we had a lot of fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
Clare: On My Own? I wrote a one-shot for some competition or other (where I think I came last) which turned out to be a cross between Twilight and Highlander. The idea of Edward Cullen in a kilt seemed to appeal to quite a few people, so On My Own was born. Basically - people apparently wanted to see Robert Pattinson in a kilt. (mmm).The actual story itself? I have no idea. I know how I wanted to end it. And I know Scotland really really well, so I just started to write....Eventually, as I wrote each word, the next came to me. No planning, absolutely no forethought...

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
Clare: That all the places are real. Glen Glas itself isn’t real; but all the towns and villages in Scotland are real places.

Why should readers read your story?
Clare: That’s really hard to answer! I think they should read it because it’s great! *laughs* It’s original, funny and because my Edward and Bella are both equally fucked up. They are on an equal footing. In most stories, you have Edward swooping in and saving Bella, but in this case I think they are probably going to save each other.

Do you anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music need total silence eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever.
Clare: I drink heavily *laughs* My betas take the alcoholic out of what I’ve written *laughs*. I write most of my chapters in the evening because I have two small children. I pretty much loose myself in Glen Glas and find that I become unaware of what is going on around me. The kids can be running around and the TV can be on and it doesn’t really bother me. I kind of like being in the little world in my head.

What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?
Clare: I pour another drink! *laughs* or I go to bed. I used to hide and not want to know what the readers thought, but now it’s in the public domain and there’s nothing I can do about it. I’m starting to feel more comfortable about what I write.
Rae: As you should! Because it’s great!

What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
Clare: Rob and Kristen. My Bella in my head is actually a combination of Ashley Greene and Kristen Stewart
Rae: Really?
Clare: yea I kind of agree with you that Ashley is pretty hot.
Rae: Yes she’s beautiful!

Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
Clare: It’s a fly by the seat of my pants thing. The only thing I knew when I started to write it was the very final scene. I knew how I wanted it to end. It was never meant to have an epilogue, but now it will because of FGB. I’m kind of random and one day I’m just like “Lets put Edward Cullen in a coma!” so then I write myself into a corner have to learn about comas.

Do you believe in HEA? What is your definition of HEA?
Clare: Yes I do. Fiction HEA is unachievable in real life which is why it’s so nice to write. With a few exceptions, I don’t like to read something that isn’t HEA.

Give us a Random Fact about yourself.
Clare: I lived in a commune in my early 20’s.
(Rae: I already knew this about Clare. I find her life incredibly fascinating and tell her she needs to write a book about it all the time).

Give me a list of your current projects and do you have any more fic plans in the future?
One non-fic novel is done and is in the editing process. I have another novel in the works. I’m about two chapters away from the end of OMO. The amount of time one person spends writing fic is just phenomenal so I don’t know if I will write fic again. If I’m trying to write a novel I don’t know if I’ll have the time to write fic. But I do enjoy it because I also enjoy the community that goes along with it. If someone gives me an idea then I’m sure I’d go for it.
Rae: You can write a fic with me!
Clare: Ok that sounds good! We’ll just laugh a lot and get drunk.
Rae: *laughs*

What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
I used to read Buffy/Angel fan fic about 14 years ago. Then I stopped, real life got in the way I think, and didn’t really think about it after that. I got into Twilight through my friend’s daughter who was 13 at the time. Then when BD finished, I decided that the ending sucked and that I’d like alternative ending so I went in search of fanfic and discovered fanfiction.net and that was about the time The Office started and I got hooked on that and became friendly with people in the fandom and haven’t left since!

What is your background in writing?
Um, I’ve always bits and pieces.. short stories.. things that accompany magazines. When my dad died, I decided to give it a ago because everyone had always told me that I was good at writing. Now I have one novel under my belt and in the editing process. I think it’s my blood – my Uncle was a journalist and published author.

OK FANTASY TIME: If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and would you do? If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor here Rob, Kellen or PFach.
Clare: 15 minutes with Robert Pattinson I’d make him a man! *laughs* I don’t know that I have the energy. I think I would hang out with my Edward and tell him to get a grip.
Rae: If I could spend time with your Edward I would slap him and tell him to pull himself together, grow a pair of balls and just sort it all out with Bella!
Clare: *laughs* Yes, just sort it out!
Clare: If I had 15 minutes with Kellen I’d like to just rub those arms. *laughs*
Rae: I would like to rub more then just his arms, just sayin’!

What is your FF pet peeve?
Clare: The clichés. The perfect sex, the perfect love, the fact they always have money, the way that everything always works out for the best. The general stuff which stops it from being real. I don’t like everything being perfect. That is one thing I tried to do with OMO is make it so that Edward is not perfect. He fucks up, he has no money, he’s messed up his family business beyond belief. He was in the Gulf war but we don’t know how good of a platoon leader he even was. He is a mess. And my Bella isn’t much better.

What is your Fandom Pet Peeve?
Clare: The bitchiness. By that I mean, the people who are trying to get the stories shut down because they don’t like what they are reading, If they don’t like what we do then they should just stop reading. I don’t understand what the point of what LU is doing. Fan fiction is meant to be fun; it’s not supposed to be this stressful. It’s just really horrid. There’s enough real life drama, we shouldn’t have drama here too.
Rae: You’re absolutely right. If you don’t like something, then find a friend to complain to and get on with your life. The hate is unnecessary.

Which character do you identify with the most?
Clare: Rose.
Rae: Why?
Clare: She’s as tough as old boots and too the point, and apparently she doesn’t suffer fools. I can really see where she is coming from at all times. There are a few Rose’s in FF that I really like. I really like the Rose in the book as well.

Which RL author inspires you?
Clare: Not so much author, but Joss Whedon who is a writer. He wrote Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Dr Horrible’s Singalong Blog. He is my absolute hero. He is amazing. After him - Lewis Carrol, Jane Austin, the usual.

Did any FF authors inspire you?
Clare: Silver Sniper of Night. I think she is phenomenal. Absolutely. There is a lot of people I enjoy reading like you (Rae: *blushes*), Bronze and Bratty-Vamp. But I would say Silver and Bratty-Vamp are my favorites and I would read absolutely anything by them.

Any recs for us?
Clare: I’m reading very little at the moment, actually. I’m reading what everyone else is reading really.
  • Angel Eyes
  • Eye Contact
  • Hourglass
  • Clipped Wings
  • Emancipation Proclamation
    If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a question who would you ask and what would your question be?
    Clare: I would ask Kristen or Rob if they regret being involved in the movie.
    Rae: That’s the same question I would ask!

    Anything else you would like to add?
    Clare: Not particularly, but I have to say that being involved in the fandom has boosted my confidence as far as being a writer is concerned and it’s given me a lot of good friends. Oh, and I really like writing Kiltward!
    Rae: We like you writing Kiltward too!


    Share/Save/Bookmark

    No comments:

    Post a Comment