April 5, 2010

Sue's Interview with Pomme_de_Terre about 'Not Like This'

NLT

Not Like This by pomme_de_terre

Knocked up WEEK here on the BLOG and why?? well because I have a LOT of experience being knocked up! (5 kids remember?)

Another interesting SUE fact that I know you are DYING to learn! I took 2 years of High School French.
YUP, so I know how to say things like Merde and how to conjugate the verb baiser I know how to say Je t’aime and I know the real meaning behind Pomme De Terre.

You guessed it, I caught the Tater! (this is a reference to genius Ron White you can view his schtick here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7WLfY2455o) But she is no ordinary tater In our chat (enhanced by cough medicine cause Ellie was ill) I found out that our Ellie is of Noble Brittish blood! Now when my 2 commoner Brit pals Nicci and Hannah and I heard this ( we were all chatting with Ellie) we all gasped

IN my very polite and gentile style I said “NO FUCKING WAY!!”

And our dear Ellie well she kindly replied “WAY!!”

In light of this interesting tid bit of information I have now dubbed her (tee hee I am such a drama queen so yes I can do this shit!)

LADY TATER!

This means her little toddler is a tater tot
And the main dude in her life is
A spud muffin!

So what the hell does all this nonsense have to with the story Not Like This?
WELL her username is what led me to read it!
I figured that anyone who had the sense of humor to go by the name potato I had to read their work
Of course Not like this is not a comedy no siree it is a drama about a very serious topic.
What I like about this story is it takes teen pregnancy and instead of turning the topic into an after school special this story shows the effects both good and bad on those involved.
Before I get too far ahead of myself lets see some specifics. Here is Ellie’s description :

Not Like This

Edward leaves Bella, much like the beginning of 'New Moon', however, this time, they are all human and there is quite the twist. Why did Edward leave Bella? And what secret is Bella keeping when he leaves?

Can they make a nightmare turn into a dream?

AND HERE IS MINE!
2 kids in love all is good all are happy they did the deed once and well of course something happens and Edward pulls ..an Edward and breaks up with her and leaver her in the woods A La New Moon!!

NOW the neatest thing about this story is that Ellie does NOT tell you what happens you experience it through the thoughts of whatever character is speaking at the time so everyone’s perception of events is slightly different. I bet you have no clue what I am talking about how about I let Ellie tell us in her way by listening to her answer my hard hitting questions!!

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
I had a dream. I know how sad and pathetic that sounds but that is what inspired the story. I was actually writing another fic at the time, which I still haven’t posted, and the idea kept clawing at me so I wrote Not Like This first. I thought it was crap and no one would read it, but my beta, Jess, convinced me to post it. It took her a while too!
I write the story to be real and not some overly-romanticized version of what would happen under the circumstances.
Bella leaves everything she knows out of fear and devastation, and lives in a shit hole.
Edward, in Jasper’s words, is an emo-ass, overly moral pussy. He over thinks everything and this often leads him to the wrong decisions.
Jasper plays a much bigger role in the story than I thought he would. Jasper is to Edward what Angela is to Bella. The supportive best friend who breaks shit down for you and doesn’t pull any punches. They’re likely to say “You’re an asshole idiot and this is why…”

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
Other than it’s going to be OK?
I think that everyone assumes that this angst fest is going to end horribly and it's not. That, I would love for people to understand. I know it’s hard to see that if you’re not writing it and know how the story ends.
I would love for people to understand that I know the chapters are short and I know that they are from a ton of points of view, but I did that for a reason. The story is an experiment. It’s the tale of beautiful people in horrible circumstances written from inside their heads. The chapters are short because they’re just supposed to be glimpses of their thoughts about one particular instance and the reader should be filling in the blanks as to what really happened and what happens in between the chapters. You never see their actions from an unbiased point of view. Perception versus reality. If you ask eight different readers what happened between scenes or what one character is doing outside of a chapter beyond the basic plot, you’d probably get eight different answers.
People respond as much to Jasper as to Edward and Bella.

Why should readers read your story?
I think readers should read my story because it’s different and because I hope it’s good.
It makes all of us look at ourselves. Even though none of us, I hope, have been in that exact position, we still have lived through some aspects of the story. The girl who was too insecure and afraid to ask for help. The guy who was too good to be true but makes horrendous mistakes. The Dad who feels he let his daughter down. The best friend that saves someone and the best friend who hurts someone.

Any more fic plans in the future?
Becomes the Swan... a current project
Cullen Robotics ...Current Project
OHHH yeah, other stories I have written in my head and haven’t come out yet because I refuse to outline or plot them out. I have tons of ideas but I won’t start anything else till at least one of these is done. Maybe all of them!
Becomes the Swan OWNS ME. I LOVE Chubward! I think the story is going to be bigger than Not Like This not because of my mad writing skills (LOL) but because the story itself is so different and Tammy (the co-author) is amazing.
(Sue digs Chubward Totally she likes a dude with meat on his bones)
Chubward is so sweet and endearing but he gets to be AN ASS TOO. He destroys her in the story.

What actor/actress do you picture as Ed/Bella?
Being that I am basically dry humping a pic of Rob Pat right now...
Yeah, I will stick with Cedric

(Sue digs the Rob too! No really SUE loves Rob...).

For Bella, I choose Alexis Bleidel (Gilmore Girls chick), although I don’t have a problem with Kristen Stewart.

Do you believe in HEA?
YES!!!
simple and concise
There will be a very happily ever after, as awful as NLT is, there will be an HEA.

What would you go back and change if you could?

In the story? Nothing. It is just how I heard it in my head. I sound like a schizophrenic. I hear voices in my head…

Not really you would be amazed at how many authors "hear" characters talking to them I find it fascinating

Is there anything special you do to prepare to write eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever?
A handful of Prozac?
No, not really. I literally have to write fast because I have a toddler and a full time job. When I write a Not Like This chapter, I am done in about 45 minutes. I do not edit much beyond spell check because my punctuation is awful and I have an awesome beta who fixes it. I may change a word here and there – like if I say “beautiful” or “chiseled” or “moist” too many times in a paragraph. I love the word “moist”!
Becomes the Swan takes a little longer, but they are longer chapters and I re-read a LOT for that fic because I write it with another author so if I screw up, it reflects on both of us. Tammy likes to write and re-read and change things (the smart thing to do!) and I just spit out the dribble from my head and leave it as it is. Well, except for reading it once to make sure it’s in English and that I didn’t start every sentence with “I” or “Moist” and then asking my beta to go over it. I try to be a little more… careful… with Becomes the Swan.

Did you have to do a lot of research for your story?
No, I did zero research for it. I wrote it off the top of my head. There wasn’t much research to be done, really. It’s more life experience. I have been pregnant and I have been hurt deeply and I have made massive mistakes and I have paid my price. I guess that’s my research.
The story is more of a social experiment than a narrative. All I try to do is give you a little tiny burst inside someone else’s head – their thoughts and perceptions. I write it from a very emotional perspective rather than a literal account of the story. It’s an experiment for me. I just wanted to tell how these people were feeling rather than what actually is happening. It’s their perceptions, not necessarily reality. I try to get really into their emotions – what would Edward be thinking here or what would Bella be feeling about this? Dig deep in there. It can be really emotionally exhausting to write.

HAHAHA
She is messing with our heads!!

Is the story plotted out from the beginning or is it a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
The story is definitely not plotted out from the start. None of my stories are. I write whatever is in my head. I have no idea when I start, how it will unfold. I have a beginning and an end in mind and that’s about it. I have five people who pre-read for content (thank you!) and an amazing beta. Thank God, because I have the worst punctuation ever!
Other than my obvious adoration of Edward, I love Dr. Daddy. I love to write him. He’s the easiest voice for me to write. Second easiest is probably Edward. Does that make me an emo-ass overly moral pussy? I shudder at the thought. The hardest to write was Rose.
I never planned on writing from Jasper’s point of view. He was originally going to be out of the entire story other than mention of him in the institution, but then I got this voice in my head (there go the voices again) and I couldn’t get him to shut it, so Potty Mouth Jasper made an appearance and now I can’t get enough of him. He’s just so much fun to write; intelligent and straightforward and cutting through all the shit. I think he’s got his own fan club!
I know that some of the characters don’t seem canon, but at the core, they are. Jasper is very perceptive . Edward is an emo-ass who makes decisions for everyone else, but is still so romantic and lovable and wants the absolute best for those he loves. Carlisle is steady and compassionate and intelligent. Angela is loyal and true. I tried to take everyone’s core traits and keep them the same but give them their own voices.
In the back of my head, I would LOVE to be humping Carlisle. (I’m hiding now so Nina and Emerald_Rosalie won’t punch me in the girly bits for admitting my crush on Dr. Daddy).

Are any parts of your story based on personal experiences?
Like the fucking? Just kidding… No, not really. I mean, nothing about how this particular situation unfolded. I never got knocked up by a dude in a meadow and I never ran away from home and I was never a teen mom left by the love of her life. I can relate to it, however. I know the intensity of being in love. I know what it’s like to lose the most important thing in my life. I know what it’s like to be pregnant and I know what it’s like to be alone. So the story itself is not based on anything I went through, but I think I’ve felt all of the emotions of the characters and I try to stay true to those feelings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really cannot begin to tell you how much fun I had talking with Ellie !! after our first convo she and I have been e-mailing back and forth all week and then we got together on skype etc ELLIE IS A BLAST

Sue is so happy she made a new friend! LOL

NOW Tomorrows poll is gonna be a special one since this is knocked up week here on the blog we are gonna have a poll about a great way to NOT get knocked up while having fun

can you guess what we will talking about??

YUP BJs!!

Blow jobs as a form of BC how fun is that !! Nikki (one of da hoors) has been hawd at work combing FF to find 10 yes 10 great BJ scenes for us to choose from I will post the story link and the chapter the BJ can be found in and you can "research" along with us to choose the best!

AND for Wednesday on knocked up week we have a new story one that just came(teehee) out and is seriously promising

The fic

Green Eyes and Lullabies....

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment