April 11, 2010

Sue's interview with Limona about 'Hiding in Plain Sight'


Hiding in Plain Sight on Twilighted

I started reading this after finding the description while trolling the boards over at Twilighted.

Yes, I used to spend LOTS of time trolling the boards.

I love the idea of this. I mean, here is a couple, forced to be together and why.
Intrigue, suspense, drama, folks pretending to be hitched to EVERYONE. No one can be in on their secret..

Oh, I suppose I should give you the official summary:

Marie used to work for a company and they did bad things she turns states evidence on them and has to go into protective custody because all of those who have tried to say things against the company disappear or are found dead

OHHHHHH!

In comes agent Emmett. He has the brilliant idea to get her name changed and hiding as his brothers fiance. His brother Edward is a high profile business owner. (hence the whole hiding in plain sight thing)

Anyway. Where were we? Oh yes...

She has to make it till the trial, where she can testify against the bad guys.

The relationship development between all the characters in this story is interesting and you find yourself wanting to see what happens next
This one leaves you jonesing for the next chapter update!

So now let's hear from her how she came up with this tale and maybe get a peek at what we can expect ! ...maybe

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
It's my take on an arranged marriage fic. I know those stories are mostly implausible and trashy, but I read them anyway. I wondered if there was a way I could make one that wasn't implausible (trashy was okay, though -- I love a good sex scene). It took a couple of hours of brainstorming, but the result was Hiding in Plain Sight. It's not exactly an arranged marriage fic, and it's still pretty implausible, but it's been a fun ride.

2. Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
I <3 them. I know how fortunate I am to have such dedicated (and patient!) readers. Their feedback and support over the course of this story have helped me grow as a writer and as a person. There is no way I can thank them enough, but I want them to know I am grateful for their generosity.

3. Why should readers read your story?
Hmm. There is a lot of good fan fiction out there, so it is hard to argue for mine specifically. I will say, though, that even though my premise is a bit far-fetched, I take it seriously. Hiding in Plain Sight has a distinct story arc and plot. I don't believe in filler. Oh, and there's a hot tub scene that some people like.

4. So you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever …
Silence is golden, but I do have a soft spot for old school No Doubt. Whenever I hear the song "Just a Girl," I think of Bella.

As for other requirements, alcohol is a must if I'm writing a lemon. I choose the alcohol I drink based on the mood of the scene. Hard lemons = hard liquor. Romance = wine. Casual or unplanned = beer.

5. What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?
I used to give the chapter the final read-through after I clicked submit. Knowing the chapter was live, I would catch more errors that way. I was my own beta, and I was very low-key. Either people read it or they didn't, right?

Somewhere along the way, probably about the time I got more readers, I became more uptight. Now nothing posts that hasn't been looked at by two other people. These days, after clicking submit, I go get a snack and wait for the first few reviews. I have a special affection for those first reviewers.

6. Do you have a soundtrack to your stories?
Nope.

7. What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
I don't picture an actor or actress for either of them. I'm kind of a freak that way. I see them in my head, but I can't tell you exactly how they look at any given moment unless there is something important. If Edward's eyes glint at me, I see that, but I don't generally focus on all the details of his face. That probably doesn't make any sense.

8. Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
Considering there are only 25 chapters, and I've posted 21, it kind of has to be all planned out. In the beginning, though, I just had a framework for the story and two key scenes I wrote in advance. That's my version of outlining. I have a place I want to go to, and then I let the characters do their thing. It's an act of faith and hope, because I never know in advance whether the journey to those key scenes will be entertaining or not.

9. Do you have a posting Schedule ? If so what is it ?Every time I try and make a schedule, life whaps me and makes me a liar. So no, I don't technically have a schedule. I am more likely to post on a Sunday than any other day of the week, though.

I only have two chapters left to write, and I am motivated to finish them and post as soon as I can.

10. Do you believe in HEA?
For other people's stories, I'm a sucker for a happily-ever-after... but I like there to be some suspense about whether the HEA will occur. Also, if a story that was all angsty suddenly has a magic plot twist that makes everything sunshine and buttercups, I get whiplash. The ending should fit the story and provide a satisfactory sense of closure for the reader.

Please note, I didn't comment on what I believe for my own stories.

(Q courtesy of Mels) Give us a Random Fact about yourself
I set a school swimming record with my freestyle relay team when I was sixteen.

11. Give me a list of your current projects AND do you have any more fic plans in the future?
My only current project is Hiding in Plain Sight.

I have another WIP, called Merger of Two Hearts, that has been neglected for a year now. After I finish Hiding in Plain Sight, I'd like to finish writing Merger.

As for the future, I have a possible collaboration planned with a friend, and I am dying to write a whodunnit mystery.

12. What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
A bad TV show called Dark Angel brought me to fanfic about ten years ago.

Twilight, the book, I bought to see what the fuss was all about. I'm not fond of vampire stories, so I planned to mock it when I was done... but instead I got hooked and read the other books. While I was waiting for Breaking Dawn to come out, that was when I went out hunting for Twilight fanfic.

13. What is your background in writing?
When I was in fifth grade I decided I could write Nancy Drew novels better than Carolyn Keene's ghost writers. The result was lulzy, and every few years I pull it out to make fun of myself.

I interned with a textbook publishing company in college. I spent an entire summer researching and writing "Fascinating Facts" for middle school textbooks. That sounds easy, but breaking down concepts into 50-100 word factoids is harder than you would think. I will always be grateful to that job for teaching me that almost any piece of writing can be shortened if you omit needless words.

14 OK FANTASY TIME
If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and would you do?
If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor here Rob Kellan PFach or Jackson
If I could have SM's Edward for fifteen minutes, I would take him out for a drink and try to catch him pretending to drink. Oh, and I would have him read the minds of random people in the bar for me, just for giggles.

15 What is your FF pet peeve?
Lousy/unrealistic characterizations take me out of a story faster than anything else. Bella doesn't have to just be a lovable klutz who blushes. Edward doesn't have to be so perfect that he saves puppies in his spare time. Also, most people don't become doctors or lawyers or kings of industry at age 21. If that's part of the story, it needs a heavy justification.

16 What is your Fandom PetPeeve?
People being mean to each other. I'm not overly fond of people dressing up their nastiness by calling it "honesty," either.

17. Which character do you Identify with the most?
Rosalie, because I think we both have the flaw of holding grudges too long.

Any character who would you like to see yourself with? Either as buddies or more?
I'd like to think I'd be buddies with Alice, but wouldn't everyone like to think that?

18. Which RL author inspires you?
Stephen King.

Did any FF authors inspire you?
Oxymoronic8, Withthevampsofcourse, Sleepyvalentina, Giselle-lx, Angstgoddess003, and a whole host of awesome women in this fandom inspire me now.

19. Any recs for us?
There are so many good fics, I'll just focus on what I've enjoyed lately:
--TalulaBlue's With Teeth for its gritty edge

--Giselle-lx's new one shot Sensitivity to Initial Conditions for its thoughtful "What if?"

--Velvetglo's Alton House, a period piece, for the lovely language, esp. between Bella and Edward.

--May and His December, one of the Twilight Gift Exchange Fics, for its creative premise and quirky execution.

20. If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a Question who would you ask and what would your Question be?
I would ask the actors who played the Volturi if they felt silly when they saw the picture scene in New Moon. You know the one where Edward is showing Bella the picture on the wall, and then it starts to move. I cracked up, and surely I can't be the only one...

21. Anything else you would like to add?
Thanks for interview. Thinking through some of these was fun :)

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment