April 11, 2010

Rae's Interview with Bronzehairedgirl620 about her fic


Le Masque Fantôme by Bronzehairedgirl620

Summary: AU: His existence was a mystery, a twisted maze filled with smoke and mirrors. The only evidence they had were the compositions he wrote. She was a singer, intrigued by the haunting music, but the illusive composer who held feelings for her even more. BxE

In the prologue of LMF we see Isabella preparing for the next big show at the old theatre/opera house, the Royal Palladium. Rumor has it that the old building is haunted. What, or who, could be haunting the old theatre? I’ll give you two guesses but you’ll only need one. The theatre is buzzing with rumors about the elusive E.A. Cullen, who keeps leaving his compositions throughout the theatre; the same compositions that are used for the theatre’s many performances. Initially, Isabella thinks the rumors are all nonsense, but then her curiosity gets the better of her and she begins doing a little investigating. Of course, E.A. Cullen is not at all happy about this snooping around, and tries to scare her away without actually coming face to face with her. But unfortunately, or fortunately for us in this case, Isabella does not give up that easily.

Little by little we receive more information with Isabella’s persistence to uncover the mystery that is E.A. Cullen. Their eventual face-to-face meeting should have left her feeling terrified; however she was only more curious about the man who lives in the basement of the Royal Palladium. We are introduced to the usual suspects; each of the Cullen’s (and even the Volturi pop in for an interesting twist!) each playing their own part in the story.

With currently only 12 chapters posted, we are just getting into the densest of information; with a lot of answers to readers questions, and Isabella’s, finally coming to light. Of course, more information only leads to more questions! I don’t want to give much more away; you’ll just have to read it and find out for yourself!

Bronzehairedgirl620 does a beautiful job of weaving mystery and suspense throughout the story. With each chapter I’m left theorizing, questioning, and begging for more. So if you’re looking for something completely original with some mystery and some eventual romance (Bronze promises me Isabella and Edward are on their way to some basement theatre lovin’!!) I HIGHLY recommend Le Masque Fantôme.

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
Bronze: I went to see a live production of The Phantom of the Opera back in March. During the middle of it, I began to wonder what it would be like if it were a Twilight fic (as I do with everything I watch. haha) I began scribbling notes on the back of my program, and by the end of the show; I had the rough outline of the story. I hadn't wanted to start a new fic, but I wondered what I could do with it. So I just wrote it and decided to see where it went. haha
Rae: Well I'm glad you decide to go with it b/c you know how much I love it!
Bronze: Thank you! I'm surprised at how well it was received. I wasn't expecting people to actually like it.

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
Bronze: hrm...I'm not sure. It's really my first time delving into the AU realm as opposed to All Human, so bear with me as I try to figure out what I'm doing. haha. Without giving anything away, though, I'm not sure what they should know...

Why should readers read your story?
Bronze: I think it's different. I've read a lot of Fanfiction, lord help me, and I haven't seen very many fics like this within the fandom. That's pretty rare. It's also much darker in a very...sinister way. It's not broken Edward, like people are used to seeing, but a different vamp Edward. Hopefully it's a refreshing change from the norm.
Rae: I completely agree with that. That’s one of the reasons I love it so much (aside from your brilliant writing). It's so fresh and different. It's not immediately a love story (though I do hope something happens… eventually… lol). It’s a different take on AU.
Bronze: LOL. Things will happen. It's still a love story (I think that means haunted basement smut at some point...huh) but the pace is much slower than most fics. This probably irritates some people, but it's just the way I tell the story. I was afraid to post it at first because it is a different take. I wasn't sure how people would respond to that. But it's been good.
Rae: I'm glad people have been so receptive. Because it's brilliant and fresh. I like the pace you've set it at.
Bronze: I'm glad! haha. I'm not sure I could change it to be any faster. Though things are starting to pick up plot-wise, which I'm excited to write.
Rae: Yes it definitely is! Which I’m so excited about!

So you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever…
Bronze: For this fic, I have to be sitting in a dark, silent room. It's borderline creepy, but I can't get the feel for it otherwise. I have to be eating something, too. Typically it's Sour Skittles. I have no idea how that relates, but it helps. haha
Rae: That’s very interesting!
Bronze: I'll watch the Phantom of the Opera movie too, if I'm really stuck. That can inspire me. But it hasn't happened very often.

What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?
Bronze: Nothing in particular, really. If it's been ages since I last updated, I chat around with my beta and don't write a thing. Other times, I'll start the next chapter. I don't really think about posting, though. Half the time I forget I updated until I see the reviews.

Do you have a soundtrack to your stories?
Bronze: I do for Hourglass and Stop, Drop and Roll. Just a mix of random songs. I don't for LMF, though.

What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
Bronze: I picture Rob and Kristen as Edward and Bella, haha. I'm completely unoriginal. I usually see Alexis Bledel as Bella, but in this case, I feel like Kristen is darker and would fit better with the part. Alexis Bledel is too sweet. haha

Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
Bronze: have a very vague outline. I know the starting point and the ending point, and maybe a few things I want to include in the middle, but other than that, I just wing it.
I can't plan stories out. I stray too far from the outline to do that.

Do you believe in HEA?
Bronze: Mhmm. I love angst and heartfail, a lot, but I am a firm believer in HEA. I'm probably an idealist in that regard, but...whatever. haha.
Rae: What is your definition of HEA?
Bronze: Things don't need to be perfect. In fact, I'd rather they not be perfect so it still stays realistic. But if conflicts are on their way to being resolved and there aren't any underlying problems, I consider it a HEA.

Give us a Random Fact about yourself
Bronze: hrm. Okay...let's see. I am a die-heard Beatles fan. I own every album except for one. haha (So is half of the planet, but I feel proud that I like more than the popular stuff. lol)

Give me a list of your current projects AND do you have any more fic plans in the future?
Bronze: Current projects are Hourglass, Le Masque, and Worlds Collide. I'm also in the middle of two collabs with Leon McFrenchington, On Thin Ice and Juice Me Up. As far as future projects go, I have two planned. One is a fic I've been pre-writing as a distraction, really, and it'll be posted soon. The other is another collab with Leon that's a continuation of our one-shot Infinity.
Rae: I’m excited for more ‘Infinity!’
Bronze: We're excited for Infinity too! More Darkward. I love it. haha

What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
Bronze: I was really hesitant to read Twilight. I read it back in early 2007 when it was pretty unheard of, and I saw it in an airport. I was bored, so I decided to read it. Needless to say, I read the rest quickly. My love for it kinda died with the hype, but I got into Fanfiction when a friend linked me to a story she found in a Facebook group. I read it, loved it, and ended up trying my own shot at creative writing. Clearly, I haven't looked back. Haha.

What is your background in writing?
Bronze: I have very little background in writing. I wrote a lot of papers and essays in high school, but I've never had any classes on "how to write." I've tried to learn through experience to make up for it - my aunt is an English professor, and my beta teaches writing and literature classes, so they've been huge influences on how to compose a story. It's hit and miss. haha. I had no idea I even liked it before I wrote the first chapter for my first fic.
Rae: I think you have a natural talent then When I first started reading your fics I was amazed that you were only 18! Your writing is very mature and it seems like you have so much more experience.
Bronze: I always laugh when people say that. When I read my own writing, I think it sounds like a twelve year old wrote it at points, but I'm glad it sounds mature to others!
I'd get reviews that just said "You're only seventeen??" when I wrote SDR, and that would be it. I never know how to respond. haha
Rae: LOL that’s kind of funny. You definitely have a natural talent.
Bronze: Thanks, haha. I just love it. I hated essay writing, but this is something I could see myself doing for a long time.
Rae: I could definitely see that. I think I told you before that I could see LMF being published as YA Fiction... with some obvious things being changed around.
Bronze: That would be...crazy. I'd love to, if I could keep up the motivation for it. I'm afraid to try original stuff, just because with FFn, I have reviewers who push me to update.
But if I can figure out how to motivate myself, I would totally write a YA novel. Dream job right there. haha
Rae: I think you could definately do it! I'll help you get motivated. =D

OK FANTASY TIME If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and would you do? If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor here Rob, Kellen or PFach.
Bronze: Burnward, from Leon's City of Sinners. He's my favorite. Even though, in my cameo for the fic, Burnward doesn't like me, I'd choose him for fifteen minutes.
Definitely. haha
Rae: I’m not surprised =D

What is your FF pet peeve?
Bronze: When characters are perfect. People seem to think that an Edward who is a top chef, a morning person, brilliant with kids/animals/whatever and never shows human emotions is the best, and it just bothers me. I like flawed characters. haha
Rae: LOL I can agree with that.

What is your Fandom pet peeve?
Bronze: People mistaking review count for quality. It's been said time and time again, but some people in the fandom refuse to grasp onto this concept.
So many amazing fics have very little reviews. It doesn't mean they're bad. Just underappreciated.
Rae: I agree with that =)

Which character do you identify with the most?
Bronze: From LMF, I'd say Bella. Just because I'm way too curious for my own good, and it gets me into trouble often. I wouldn't go into a creepy theatre basement, but I mostly identify with her. From the books...hrm. Someone obscure, like Angela. haha. I'm not really sure.

Which RL author inspires you?
Bronze: Oh boy. I read a ton, and everything I read inspires me, but as far as specific authors go, I'd say John Green. One of his books inspired my new fic. Otherwise, any author. I'm constantly inspired by anything I pick up.

Did any FF authors inspire you?
Bronze: Absolutely. think the people that inspire me the most are my pre-readers. Leon McFrenchington, TRDancer, Silver Sniper of Night, you - people who give me feedback on my work, and write fics of their own. I learn quite a bit from all of you, even if you aren't aware of it.
Rae: Aw you’re so sweet!
Bronze: I speak the truth! haha. Still completely humbled that amazing authors like that would even take a second glance at my work. That's more than inspiring.

Any recs for us?
Healing - freakyhazeleyes
Times New Roman - kathy-rindhoops
A Rough Start – ItzMegan
Eye Contact – Silver Sniper of Night
Mens Rea: A Guilty Mind - forbidden-fruit81
Hydraulic Level 5 - Gondolier
City of Sinners – Leon McFrenchington

If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a question who would you ask and what would your question be?
Bronze: I have no idea what I would ask, but I'd ask Rob something. haha. Something non-Twilight related, at least.
Rae: LOL OK that works.

Anything else you would like to add?
Bronze: I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who has supported my writing, and an even bigger thank you to people who read this entire interview. I hope I didn't bore you to sleep. haha
Rae: LOL. Well, I found it very insightful.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment