April 9, 2010

Sue's Interview with Emerald_Rosalie about 'Column Inches'



Column inches by Emerald_Rosalie

In my effort to slightly differentiate my fic reading, I started a *GASP* RPF (Real Person Fic).
Let me first say why I have issues with RPFs:

I guess it squigs me out a bit reading other people’s fantasies, about someone who is real.
There, I said it. Change the name from Edward to Robert in a story and I get all weirded out.

SO WHY, SUE? WHY now did you change your mind?

Vicky, aka Emerald_Rosalie, and I met through the lovely and vivacious Lady Tater. Now many of you know I have a bit of a fascination with all things Brit… Guess what Vicks is???
YUP she’s a brit!! I love this snaky little spitfire.

Not only does she flatter this old conservative Midwestern housewife (don’t laugh! I really am from the Midwest), but shockingly we share a love of country music.

SOOO, Vicky had this story. She told me the bones of it while we were chatting about the merits of a foot and I got all excited. She then told me it was an RPF, and I got all squiggled out, and she said HEY! You said you liked it?!

And I said, HEY. I do not want to read your sexual fantasies.
And she said, HEY. How is it different than reading fic with Edward?

And I said, LINKY ME HOOR.

OK. Good thing about this fic:

NO BELLA

Seriously, NONE.
LOVE THAT. Bella tends to annoy me if she is too close to canon.

The leading lady of this fic is Bailey.
And well, she is awesome and funny and cool and I like her.

The neat thing about this story is, it is still in the development stages, so things that actually happen will be woven into the fic.

Here is her description :
Bayley Clayton felt instant dislike for Robert Pattinson from the moment she met him; Robert was too tanked to remember the whole thing. With her vicious tongue and wicked words, she now has the power to ruin him. A second chance encounter sets a chain of events into motion that Bayley never thought possible, and she is caught in the middle of a love triangle that could destroy her. Can she play the love game without hurting anyone?
Meet Bayley Clayton: A brutally honest showbiz columnist with a cult following and a vicious tongue. After being set a target by her editor, Bayley must dig the dirt on the elusive Robert Pattinson. With a little help from her sidekick Nicole and Nicole's errant love toy Jackson Rathbone, Bayley begins a love/hate relationship with Hollywood’s most famous actor...and his co star, Kellan Lutz.
Rob/OC, Rob/Kristen, Kellan/OC, Jackson/OC

Guess what else I like about it? The leading man is not an all-perfect fellow either. He is real, with flaws and faults etc. YAY! It makes him more real, cause no matter how great the Pretty is, he is real and well, he has flaws so deal (I hope everyone left their pitchforks and tomatoes at home).

Enough of my babbling nonsense. Here is a watered down version of our skype chat:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
Basically, it started out as a Bella and Edward fic, but as it progressed. I was reading more and more twi fic and I did not like it, deleted and then I sent it to a friend who suggested changing it to an RPF. Then I thought and I saw Rob and Bailey, and I first saw Bailey with Kellan. The biggest chunk of it is the friendship between them, and now I made it more a Bailey and Rob.

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
Basically, I want them to know that this story is a journey. It wont happen the way the readers are going to want it to. It will happen the way I see it. It will have a certain amount of mind fuckery and it will all wrap up and have a happy ending.

Why should readers read your story?
Because it’s funny and it’s not generic, and because it, I don’t know, it’s different. It has a different plot line, and a different plot line than other RPFs. It does not portray him as something perfect. It shows him in a place he could be at now.

So you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, whatever …?
I’ll sit and look through whatever is happening and Rob gossip etc., and put my headphones on. It is inspired by a Lady Gaga song, because when I went to LA, Lady Gaga is all I heard about on the radio. As more and more of it came together, and obviously Bailey is journalist, Paper Gangster by Lady Gaga, the whole album, I listen to Lady Gaga. I turn on iTunes, hit Lady Gaga and write. All the chapters are titles of Lady Gaga songs. (OK I know this sounds horribly disjointed Vicky is more articulate I just suck at transcribing!)

Who do you picture as Bailey?
Rose Byrne

The girl that is on the banner. She has always been Bailey. She has a friend, Nicole, who is based on my best friend.

Where do you get Bailey’s behavior from?
It is how I think some disgruntled journalist would think of the Twilight saga. Bailey's attitude is, first of all,as a person, I do not really like Rob, but she is also very caring and very smart. She is an amalgamation of a lot of different people.

Is the story all planned out, or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
The first ten chapters were planned out, but it is influenced by what is going on. Contemporary things happen and these events are happening to these people, and it is our “job” to take them and make them our own. I will go to write a chapter knowing what I want to write and it will turn into something else.

Do you have a posting Schedule?
I work with project team beta for this, so once I am done writing I send the chapters. They come back, I post, and then I send in the next one.

Do you believe in HEA?
There will be 3 happy endings in this fic. Bailey, Kellan, Rob and Jackson will too, but not necessarily with who you think they will.

Any more fic plans in the future?
I started another fic. It is a Jasper and Alice one shot.

What brought you to fanfic?
My friends. They were all there, they were all writing it, and I jumped into the community and started writing it in October of last year. I lurked a lot at first.

To Twilight?
I read the books first before I had seen the film. I hated the first one!!! It was awful godawful. I didn’t really agree with what happened in the books, so I think I wanted to expand on what happened in the books. My first story I ever wrote was called “You Were Always on My Mind”, but I deleted it .

What is your background in writing?
I was part of the Harry Potter fandom first before joining Twilight. I really enjoyed it. There is a lot of bitchiness in the Twi fandom that is not in the HP fandom.

Which character do you see yourself as?
I do not see myself in any of the characters at all. There is a tiny weeny bit of me in Bailey, but not much.

And who would you like to see yourself with?
Kellan. Hands down!!! He is lovely. I have met him, and he is just so nice.

Which RL author inspires you?
PC Cast and Kristen Cast. They write a series called the House of Night, and for lemons I like Lindsey Sands. She is an erotic fiction writer, and she does good things… good things.

Did any FF authors inspire you?
I am inspired by the my friends : coyotegurlNikki, Ellie and Tammy, ABG, americnxidiot, Mischief-Maker1.

Any recs for us?
University Of Edward Masen by SebastienRobichaud, Becomes The Swan by Pomme_de_Terre and Venemousgal, Viscious Circles by tellmethetruth, Fractured Heart by Cfmom, To Be Stabbed In The Front by forever gold, The Difference Between Night And Day RPF by coyotegurlNikki, Not Like This by PommeDeTerre

SO. Read this story. I have be granted the chance to read ahead a few chapters, and it is FABULOUS. I love where it is heading.

This is a good RPF to cut your teeth on, and I am tempted to read more (The Curse of Fame which made me blush so hard. A very well written fic but golly! That Doc has a dirty mind. I love her for it!! That will be my next RPF I read).

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment