November 21, 2011

Sue's interview with idealskeptic about her fic 'Yellow Rose'





AH/AU. Set in the US in 1865. Alice Brandon is alone when the Civil War comes to her. As a volunteer nurse, she helps heal many soldiers. One in particular, Major Jasper Hale, stands out. What does life have in mind for Alice & Jasper in the 1860s?
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Drama/Romance - Chapters: 1 - Words: 4,037 - Reviews: 13 - Published: 11-9-11 - Alice & Jasper

it is RARE that I talk about Twific that is not an Edward/Bella pairing. Mostly because most of the fics I read are Edward/Bella and those are the ones that are recc'd to me. 


This fic was rec'd to me by Autumn because of my love of historical stories. I love them. you know this people that tell me to read fics know this historical fic is my thing 


This one is a neat one. Great time period and so far only 1 chapters but it is a  really really good chapter. Very descriptive. It sets a scene in a very frightening time of  American history, in the South during the Civil War. What I like so far is the set up we have going on here .


A farm. A battle going on. Alice hiding. She is alone, a young woman. When she comes out of her hiding spot she sees the carnage around her. She is a doctors daughter and has seen hurt people before but this is so horrible. She wants to help all of them but so many are beyond help. Then she comes upon a young man who is trapped under a horse, barely conscious.


Some other men are there helping the injured men. She calls them over and offers up her home as a temporary haven for the wounded. They all get to work preparing the home and men for surgery and that is where we are at right now. 


I look forward to seeing where this will take us. I like that she is sticking pretty close to the history of the time. I like that this Alice is not going to be the giddy bouncy super shopper of most fic Alices. SO if you are in the mood for reading a different pairing this one is the one to try.

~~~~~~~~~~
What was it that gave you the ‘spark’ for your story?  Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
The ‘spark’ for my story was the film The Conspirator, to be honest. That film is about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and, after I watched it, I started talking to one of the amazing people I’ve met in fandom, Alix Aurelia, about it and we’re both Jasper lovers so it turned into a discussion of Jasper and the Civil War. I’ve never written an all-human fic before so, being the history lover that I am, I decided to give it a try.

Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any ‘triggers’ to get you in the writing mood?
The only thing I need to get in the mood to write is to be on a computer or have a pen and paper nearby. It doesn’t always result in something that’s worth anything, but that’s all I need. Classical music, or anything without words that I can get distracted signing along to, does help me focus when I want to get something done.
  
Give us an elevator pitch. Say you’re in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
Yellow Rose is a story of strength in the face of adversity and love above all else. It begins during a war that only involved the United States, but I believe that the strength and love are simple and pure enough to outweigh any facts, figures, and details that might seem daunting at first. 

Alice is a southern girl with her own opinions and ideas. When the Civil War lands in her front yard, she takes the lead and lets her farm be used as a field hospital. One of the injured soldiers is Major Jasper Hale. They have only a week together before he’s taken to a POW camp. With a promise to meet again at her farm three weeks after the last day of the war, no one knows where the road will lead them.

Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?
Jackson Rathbone is and always will be Jasper Hale in my mind. I read the books before I saw the first film, and he’s what I pictured as I read. Ashley Greene isn’t quite small enough to be my mental picture of Alice, but she’s become Alice through the films.


Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
For the first time, I’m actually planning the story out. Not completely, just five or six chapters in advance, but it’s something I’ve never really done before and I like writing this way. It’s much less stressful.

Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
Full credit for my happy change in writing style goes to my beta, koko23cat, who has shown me, by example, that even fan-fiction writing can be more fun and less stressful if you plan and write in advance. She’s an amazing author too!

Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
I always have other ideas in my head, for fanfic and for original writing, and they’re all plans of sorts. But I don’t like to say things too soon for fear of jinxing myself…

What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)
A few years ago, I wrote some Pirates of the Caribbean fanfic so, when I read Twilight and saw so many plot holes, inconsistencies, and underdeveloped characters in books that I loved anyway, I went looking for Twilight fanfic. Needless to say, I found more than I ever imagine.

The thing that keeps me here and will keep me always sort of here are the amazing people I’ve met from around the world that I would never have known existed if it weren’t for Twilight fanfic.


Do you have a background in writing?  
My background in writing is simply that I like to write. I have a degree in history, so I’ve done a lot of research, non-fiction type writing. But I want to write fiction, so I’m using fanfic as practice or sorts. 

How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
I am, admittedly, insecure about my writing. I know I write what I love, but I can’t help but worry that no one will want to read it. That’s the amazing thing about writing fanfic - there are complete strangers willing to help you write better and feel better about your writing. And they become true friends in the end.
  
Do you tell your friends and family that you’re an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
Most of my family knows that I write Twilight fanfic, but they don’t know my penname. Even if they did, they have absolutely no interest in Twilight fanfic and only slightly more in Twilight itself, so they wouldn’t read it if they could.

The way I look at it, everyone has their likes and dislikes. Some people dress up as Klingons for Star Trek conventions and some people spend their time playing Call of Duty - I write fanfic. There’s nothing to be ashamed of.
  
Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most?  
No, there really isn’t a particular character in my story that I identify with most. I just like Jasper and Alice, simple as that.

Which RL author(s) inspires you?
In terms of historical fiction, I’d say that Mary Doria Russell, Julie Garwood, and Philippa Gregory are my absolute favorites. They all keep romance carefully crafted in a true, factual historical setting and I’d like to be able to write like that one day.

Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and thinking “I could do this”?
Every fanfic author who is brave enough to write and post their stories inspire me. That’s what made me think that I can do this, that anyone can. Strength in numbers, I suppose.
  
What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
My advice to an aspiring fanfic writer is simple. Write. Write whatever you want and post it. You’ll meet amazing people doing that and you’ll be happier for it. Just write.

Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I have a five year old beagle named Lucy who, I’m sure, thinks I spend far too much time not catering to whatever she wants.

If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional who would it be and what would you say to them?
Just one person? I can’t possibly answer that without hours and hours of thought and boring anyone reading this with my explanation and what I’d say to them!

What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
My fanfic pet peeve is when people copy passages directly from the Twilight books. The way I look at it, we’re already borrowing Stephenie Meyer’s characters and the world she created, there’s no reason we have to borrow her words too. I don’t read stories that I recognize parts of from the books. 

What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
My fandom pet peeve is when people in fandom tear other people down for no other reason than to make themselves feel better or more important. Fanfic and fandom are supposed to be fun, when people ruin that for others…

Anything else you would like to add?
No, not really. Just a huge THANK YOU for interview me about a story that I wasn’t sure would get that much of a reception at all. It really did make my day, week, month…

Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

koko23cat said...

Wonderful author, wonderful story. Read it and weep, people :)

Post a Comment