September 26, 2011

Sue's Interview with rpgirl27 about her fic 'Off The Beaten Path'



Bella is on a mission to change her life. Will a tiny school in a small mountain town offer her a new beginning? And why does every one want her to stay out of the woods? Set in the 1920s/30s. AH ExB MountainmanWard Rated M for violence/language/sex.
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 16 - Words: 75,042 - Reviews: 1145 - Updated: 9-20-11 - Published: 5-23-11 - Edward & Bella

As you should all know by now I adore a good historical fic. There is something about being put in another time that, for me, is the ultimate escape. I also find it fascinating how the typical characteristics of Twilight fit so well in the past. 


So when I heard that rpgirl27 was writing another fic and it was gonna be a historical one I was thrilled. This fic is set in 20s/30s. I have been reading it since the beginning and have loved every chapter. 


This Bella is a tough independent thinker. However she is stuck in a time that does not want women to be this way. She is hired by the Cullen family to be the teacher at their school. She moves cross country to live with the head of the town (Carlisle and his family) Edward is a member of a secluded mountain community, made up of mostly farmers trying to continue their lifestyle and stay out of working in the mines that are owned by the Cullens. This story is part history, part romance, part clash of social classes. 


Now why do I think it is worth the read? It has adventure and romance and enough history to keep you entertained. Oh and the sexin is not bad either! 


You know what to do my dears. Give it a read, give the author some feedback and then come and let me know what you think. Is this the kind of story you like to see rec'd here? Read on to find out more about Off the Beaten Path (slight warning some of the pics in this post are NSFW nothing too graphic but probably not for viewing at work or around children)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was it that gave you the 'spark' for your story? Was it a picture?
A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
I love bluegrass and folk music, and I thought maybe Edward needed a chance to play something different than classical or rock for once!


Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a
certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any 'triggers' to get you in the writing mood?
Mostly, I try to cram it in during any spare moment. I've always got my
notebook with me, especially places where it would be difficult to tote my
laptop, or when I don't want RL people asking too many questions about what
I'm doing.


Give us an elevator pitch. Say you're in an elevator with a prospective
reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
This is always the hardest question for me. I can't sell myself to save my
life.
I write weird stuff.
If you're looking for something different, but not too OOC, you might be
interested in my little contributions to ficdom.


Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone
else entirely? If so, who?
Rob is always Edward. Everyone else is changeable.


Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your
pants thing?
This story was almost entirely planned out, but I do leave wiggle room for
slight changes.


Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
xrxdanixrx has been my beta from the start of this story, and she's absolutely
indispensable. Anyone else would have beat me to death with all my random
commas by now.
 
Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
Nothing else going on at the moment, and I don't really have anything planned
for the near future.
Unfortunately, I've got three college classes this semester, as well as my
full-time job to contend with. Not to mention, kids and a husband *sigh* I
just won't have time to post anything again until January, at least.
Totally not ruling out a one-shot or outtake, though.


What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept
you here (besides your own writing)
I started on Rob fansites. I'd never heard of fanfiction until someone shoved
I Love LA at me. That was... interesting.
I know lots of fandom people in RL now, and have opportunities to see them on a regular basis. It's been 2 1/2 years now, so I guess I'm in it for the long
haul :) 


Do you have a background in writing? 
Nope.


How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a
notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
Criticism doesn't tend to bother me too much.
Nothing can be more mortifying than your husband reading your fic out loud in
cartoon voices. If I can come back from that, I can handle anything.


Do you tell your friends and family that you're an online author with a
devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
I don't generally hide things about myself. Nearly everyone knows, they just
don't know the particulars. My coworkers know I write historical romance
online, thus earning me the nickname, "harlequin." I really don't think I
need to make it worse by telling them it's Twific.


My family is all strange, so they really don't have room to make fun. My SIL
writes HP fic, and my dad reads Star Trek fic. Gross. I don't even want to
know...


Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the
most? 
I love all the protagonists in my current story, though I wouldn't say any of
them are like me in any way.
They know how to shoot guns and live off the land. They're definitely way
cooler than me.
I do, however, have a fondness for moonshine, live music, and dirty,
hardworking boys. Bella and I see eye to eye there.


Which RL author(s) inspires you?
Authors I've read over and over: Anne Rice, Elizabeth Peters, Colleen
McCullough, L.M. Montgomery


Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and
yeah I just like his face
thinking "I could do this"?
Probably Rochelle Allison aka Roglows.
But I could never do it as well as she does. She is perfection. I merely
worship at her altar. Oh, and she's a damn nice person, too.
And hot.
It I actually had feelings, I'd say I was terribly jealous.
 
What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
Invest in multiple pairs of big girl panties, and don't take yourself or
random people on the internet too seriously.


Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I'm nosy. Always. About everything.


If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional
who would it be and what would you say to them?


Rob. I'm not picturing a lot of conversation. Bow chicca wow wow.


What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
Milking cocks. Just... no. Ew.


What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
When people believe everything they're told, just because it's on the internet. I question everything.


Anything else you would like to add?
Roselover is a sexy mamma. May Colin Firth magically drop into her bed.(oh yummy what a nice wish for a friend! )
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment