July 29, 2011

Sue interview with Magnolia822 about her fic 'An Aquired Taste'






Arrogant British celebrity chef Edward Cullen made an impression on NYC caterer Bella Swan long before either one of them became a success. Now, armed with her cat and a devious practical joke, Bella's plan may turn up the heat for both of them. ExB OOC
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Humor - Chapters: 10 - Words: 42,927 - Reviews: 1857 - Updated: 7-14-11 - Published: 5-17-11 - Bella & Edward



As many of you know I have a bit of thing for Brit guys. No, not just Rob but there is something about that accent, and it does not have to be the posh one either and he does not have to be all proper like he can be... well, he can be like 

HIM 

Chef. I love Chef. If you don't know what Chef I am talking about then you have not lived till you have seen Gordon take someone down verbally, rip them to shreds and, piece by glorious piece, put them back together again. But I digress.

SO when I read the first chapter of this fic I did it because I was told that there was gonna be a Chef like my favorite Chef in it.

OHHH the comedy. Ohhh the romance. OHHH the burn. OHHH the anger and the snark and the BANTER!!!

This fic even has a crazy cat lady (sorry Bella) but most of all it has CHEF so if you love Chef like I love him give this one a read leave mags some lovin and you know the rest! OH and just a note the pictures in this post may or may not have anything to do with the story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was it that gave you the 'spark' for your story?   Was it a picture? A
moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
I guess we’re talking An Acquired Taste here, right? Some of my readers have pointed out a . . . similarity, at least initially, between Gordon Ramsey on the Food Network and Edward in AAT. One day I was watching one of his shows and I just knew I had to write a fic about it!

Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a
certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any 'triggers' to get you in
the writing mood?

I actually work best under pressure, and I give myself plenty of that. But if I really don’t fell like writing, reading fic is actually a great trigger for me. It gets me excited about it. Heh. I mean . . . it gets me motivated.

Give us an elevator pitch. Say you're in an elevator with a prospective
reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
I’d tell them the honest truth: this is the one story to read before you die. If you read my story, the mystery of the meaning of life will be revealed. Also, it will grant you immortal youth.

And if they laugh at that, they’d probably like my story.

Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone
else entirely? If so, who?
It’s funny, I usually vaguely imagine Rob as Edward, but he’s always a little different in my mind than in real life, and it’s the same with Kristen. But in AAT, I don’t think of Kristen as Bella at all. I very rarely think of the other characters in my stories in terms of the actors that portray them in Twilight, but I don’t really have other actors in my mind when I’m writing either. The one exception in the case of AAT is Emmett... I like to think of Kevin Alejandro (the guy who plays Lafayette’s BF in True Blood) as Em.

Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your
pants thing?

It’s all planned out, but small things might change. I generally write an outline of the story before I begin, then change it after I’ve written a few chapters. Sometimes things just pop out at me that I’d never thought of during the writing process. The details of what happens in each chapter emerge as I write, thought the main events remain the same.

Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shout out here?
Woot! Yes, I have an awesome beta, Mac214. Working with her on this story, and on Strange Brew before this, has taught me a lot about writing. I’m also blessed with three fabulous, honest prereaders: BellaFlan, DiamondHeart78 and Ms. Junkowksi.

Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
Not at the moment! But I’ll keep you posted.

What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic? What is it that has kept
you here (besides your own writing)
The sheer number and diversity of quality stories has kept me interested. No matter what mood you’re in, there’s a Twi fic to match it. I love to see how people recreate SM’s characters. And I’ve met so many awesome, talented people, writers, readers, graphic artists, etc., that I love to interact with—that’s definitely the best part about being in the fandom.

Do you have a background in writing?
Not creatively, no, but my profession is based on writing.

How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a
notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing
experience?

At first I was a little shy about sharing, but people were very kind and supportive. While criticisms always sting a little, I try to use them to better my writing. I believe there’s always some truth to reviews, even if they’re negative. I’ve grown so much as a writer from my first story until now with the help of constructive criticism, so even though I might not always like to hear what’s wrong with my stories, I try not to take it too personally.

Do you tell your friends and family that you're an online author with a
devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
My closest friends know, and of course my husband. My family wouldn’t understand at all, so it’s not something I broadcast to them. In general, though, I try to keep the two spheres of my life separate.

Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the
most?

Probably Bella in AAT. I’d say, personality wise, she’s the character most similar to me that I’ve written.

Which RL author(s) inspires you?
Oh God, I have so many favorite authors, but none that I try to emulate. They write very different books. My favorite writer is Katzuo Ishiguro, a Japanese-British author who wrote Never Let Me Go and Remains of the Day. His narrators are always so fascinating and expertly crafted, especially Stevens the butler in Remains. Another favorite writer is Zadie Smith, though I prefer White Teeth, her first novel, to her later ones. I also love Dave Eggers and David Sedaris, pretty much because they’re hilarious and brilliant.

Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and
thinking "I could do this"?

I’m really inspired by writers who write comedy and do it well. BellaFlan’s writing is inspirational to me, as was Feathersmmmm and her Wallbanger. I’ve always been a huge fan of Mac214, so when she offered to beta for me I fangirled a whole helluva lot. But there are so many gifted writers in the fandom—I really value those stories where it’s clear the author has spent a lot of time and energy in crafting a well-developed, engaging story. Spanglemaker9, BrattyVamp, Derdriu oFaolain, WriteOnTime, Katinki, Cesca Marie... jeez, I could go on all day!

What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
that is just unsanitary and dangerous

Get an experienced beta even if you think you don’t need one—and make sure your beta offers you honest criticism of your story (ie: don’t just pick a friend). Also, as far as the writing, try to identify and avoid clichés—it’s sometimes easier to rely on an overused, common expression to convey a message, but writing is so much more interesting when it’s original. I even suggest keeping a notebook with you and jotting down random ideas when they come. (Pun intended)
Lastly, respect your readers, but don’t give into pressure if people don’t like what you’re doing... this is YOUR story, you tell it the way you want.

Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I sleep with earplugs and a face mask like Holly Golightly. And I love any tomato-based food.

If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional
who would it be and what would you say to them?

I want to say something inspirational, like Martin Luther King, Jesus, or Gandhi, but what the heck would I say to those people? I’d stand there and stare like an idiot until my 15 minutes were up. To be honest, I’d probably pick my grandmother. She passed away a couple of years ago and I never got to say goodbye. We were close. So yeah, I’d pick her.

What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
love him or hate him I love him he's amazing!

If you follow me on Twitter, you’ve probably seen my random rants about “wet folds.” Nothing kills a hot lemon for me like the word “folds.” ‘Nuff said.

What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
How invasive people can be regarding R/K during their private time. Also, related to this, drama.

Anything else you would like to add?
I really could use a burger right now. With lots of ketchup. Thank you for the interview, Sue!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment