April 18, 2011

Sue's Interview with solostintwilight about 'In Your World'


Bella is running from her life when it takes an unexpected detour, To Amish Country in rural Iowa where she finds sanctuary with a caring family. And meets a man who draws her into his world. Welcome to the world of Amishward.
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 4 - Words: 30,812 - Reviews: 179 - Updated: 4-8-11 - Published: 3-9-11 - Bella & Edward


Like many stories everywhere this one was inspired by a picture. A picture of a good looking guy in a dorky hat. I know my first response to the VF photoshoot of Rob with the alligator on his shoulder was "why is he wearing an amish hat?"

Obviously I was not the only one to make this kind of a comment and so from Twitter conversations that took place around the world AMISHWARD was born. People were calling for someone to write an Amishward well one author took on that challange.

I found this story because a friend of mine follows this particular author and I happened to catch her tweeting about chapter 1 of Amishward. Me being ME I fav'd the tweet, clicked on the link and after ONE chapter I was hooked.

Here is the part where I tell you why I'm hooked:
First off the Amish have always fascinated me as a society. Secondly I like the idea of someone being accepted by this society because of something bad that happened. The whole sanctuary thing appeals to me. A group of good people protecting an innocent person and showing them their way of living and accepting life based on their faith gives me hope.

Also this fic appeals to the LARGE side of me that adores period romance because of the way the Amish choose to live. It is like stepping back in time where roles were defined and people worked very hard for the simple things in life that we in the modern world tend to take for granted.

This is a simple story that speaks to the romantic in me. It says these two have obsticles to overcome and how will they do it and what will happen when these worlds collide? How will he deal with an attraction to a woman that is outside what he should want? What world will she choose? Will she have a choice? Or will outside forces make that choice for her? How will the two worlds deal with them possibly getting together?

This fic is so new that it is still not a given that these two will end up together. Yes it is an E/B story, however I NEVER assume that just because I am reading that genre that it is a given many authors have pleasantly surprised me by NOT giving me an HEA to me that keeps things interesting.

So pull up a chair. This is a short read because so far there are not many chapters in it. Give it a shot and don't forget to let me know what you think!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was it that gave you the ‘spark’ for your story?  Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
A: I have been dying to do an Edward/Bella that was off the map. And then the new Vanity Fair came out with Rob Pattinson… and well the big black hat clenched it for me. That and some inspiring banter on twitter with some of my dearest ladies.


Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any ‘triggers’ to get you in the writing mood?
A: My mind is constantly running through scenarios, much like an actor doing improvisation. So I play out scenes in my head a lot before I put them to page. Music is a must. All types. My writing playlist for each story I am writing continues to grow thanks to You Tube searches. I do a lot of research on my stories to help to create a realistic environment for the reader. It only takes one reader that has “been there” to be disappointed by a discrepancy for me to jump in to more research because I feel I have pulled them out of the story I am trying to create.


Give us an elevator pitch. Say you’re in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?   
A: What must it be like to find yourself in an entirely foreign environment, with someone who entrances you in ways you never could have imagined? Someone who is forbidden fruit to you, because you are perhaps considered unworthy by those around you. But love doesn’t discriminate, you are drawn to him for a purpose. It’s how you discover how to make it work that will make it last.
If you had the chance to find love and discover yourself in the process, would you?

In Your World tosses a typical teenage girl into the prim and private world of the Amish, only for her to discover the man that could change her entire outlook on life. Because they are polar opposites, they are destined to be joined. Regardless of what anyone else might say.
You can’t fight destiny.


Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?
Most of my stories are specific to certain characters. With characters that are original (as in my RPFs) I do look through pictures as inspiration.

Rob Pattinson is of course himself, and in the case of Amishward, well, the VF spread is burned in my head. But I have other pics of inspiration as well. Grins


Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
A: I have a very broad outline for my stories. A general guideline, but the characters like to hijack me at times and wrestle me for more drama (or more gratuitous visuals) It may be why I am still writing one story a year and a half later and many many chapters more than I presumed!
Outline in hand, I then write by the seat of my pants, thinking about plots that have filtered in my head. I have been known to go in the complete opposite direction of what was first intended.


Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
  

A: I have a lovely group of gals, fondly called the Tri-O’s that read and offer comments. I also have a few fellow writers: m244robp and Phoenix_Rising that read and offer advice. Most of the real beta’ing comes from many many proof reads. I don’t post until I have read and edited at least four times.  And still stuff falls thru! Ah well.


Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
A: I am currently writing the never ending Need to Escape which is an RPF detailing the struggles a certain famous actor must deal with and how a personal relationship can be affected by that. I am also writing its companion story, told in his POV, called On the Threshold.
I recently finished Roadtrip 2010: The new British Invasion, which I won’t post on Twilighted until NTE finishes (so maybe in 2012? Hahaha) So I posted it on my Livejournal instead.
There’s a lot bubbling in my head, some that I may try to write as original works. But three stories eats up most of my time.


What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)
 
A: I was not a big Twilight until one of my students all but threatened I read it. I bought all four books and read them in three days. But I was left wanting more. So my dear student showed me the world of fan fiction and I was done for. This was in the days of The Office and The List, etc.

I have stayed because of the growth in writing that has developed because of it and for the relationships I have made with many of my readers. There’s a sense of community that is nice to see, regardless of any swipes or jabs that come up in any community. And writings have progressed so much in the last two years. I am so proud of those willing to stick their neck out and show us a private piece of them that is their stories.


Do you have a background in writing?  
A: I used to write when I was much younger. Just drabbles really, and poetry. I used to act, so the use of story telling has always been ingrained in me. But that all took a back seat when life and career happened. It is so rewarding to be able to get back to it.


How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
A: I will admit to being terribly insecure about my writing. But the most rewarding thing about online writing is the relationship between writer and reader. To be able to share and discuss is wonderful. It helps you grow as a writer. It has certainly helped with my insecurities. I was doing really well with responding to every review for a long time, it has finally caught up to me, and has become difficult to continue, but the bond is still there (I hope!)


Do you tell your friends and family that you’re an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
A: To some degree. I have a few friends that know and read. Most of family does not know though. And dear hubs can’t understand why I am not writing for money. But he supports me enthusiastically (he has been known to read some of it). I think he is waiting for me to write something so he can retire… hahaha. Sorry honey, I do it out of love for now….


Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most? 
A: I can relate a lot to my female characters, although they are not much like the outer me. I am more like Emmett, ready to lay it out there and have a good time in a goofy good loving sort of way!


Which RL author(s) inspires you?
A: I love fantasy novels and classic literature…. My first book was Lord of the Rings when I was ten. Then I dove into Shakespeare, which may be why I chose theatre for a career. But also Bronte, Austen for the classics. My wordiness is all Robert Jordan’s fault (man of the thousand page novels)


Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and thinking “I could do this”?
My first fan fic was Laura Cullen’s The List. I was hooked.
Much of what I was reading was smutty goodness, but I blame my student for pushing me to write her a smutty bit of goodness. It’s all her fault. (thanks Theatregirl!) It has been the readers that keep me going, again the sense of community that is so rewarding.


What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
A: Do it. Just do it. You can never go wrong by just putting your words out there. In whatever manner you can. And research what you write. If you don’t know enough about it, Google will always be your friend. But write. You will never know until you try. I am so proud of those new writers that are putting it out there. I love to see new stories popping up.


Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
A: I am obsessed with the history of the Vietnam War. I have no idea why, but that timeline pulls at me hard.


If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional who would it be and what would you say to them?
A: My Grandpa. He was Airborne in WWII. Parachuted in and all that. I regret not asking him about his experience when he was alive. We were told not to ask… I regret losing that incredible history with his passing. Our elders had such rich lives compared to us I believe.


What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
A: Authors who take FOREVER to update. I am impatient reader. And authors who take months to post a short chapter or who abandon completely drive me crazy. That and authors that whine about how few reviews they get but then never respond to the ones they get.


What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
A: The bickery bitterness amongst us. This is meant to be a fun outlet. A chance to share something of ourselves with those that share the same feelings that we do. It doesn’t need to be so serious. Why can’t we all just get along. I love my readers so much, I don’t understand why there has to be so much hate in a community that can express so much love in its writings.


Anything else you would like to add?
A: Thanks so much for asking me to do this!
And that really, we are all in this together. Let’s have fun doing it.  Otherwise, why are we here?

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment