April 20, 2011

Sue's Interview with Savage7289 about 'Could Be Worse, Right?'





I'm tired of the dating scene. I'm tired of trying to be the nice boyfriend. I am letting go of the last scruple I have. I'm going to buy a slave. Edward/Bella. M for obvious reasons. If you don't like this sort of thing, don't read it.
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Angst - Chapters: 38 - Words: 52,066 - Reviews: 7093 - Updated: 4-11-11 - Published: 3-21-11 - Edward & Bella


YES that is the new banner she was teasing us with!! Eeep


OK as you may have guessed I am a bit of a fan of Savages writing. I like how she takes a plot and then twists it till we do not know which end is up. She does this through her manipulation of the characters and the things they have to learn through her story.

Oddly enough she writes some of the worst Edwards ever. I mean these are not the Edward you want to take home to mama. Savages Edwards are the kind you only like if you are a masochistic female that loves to fix the imperfect guy.

and BOY are her Edwards messed up. I love that.

Yes I am the masochistic female. I love to see a messed up guy go through his own personal hell and grow to be a better person. THAT is what she writes.

Now I recal a few weeks ago when Savage first started this messed up train of thought. Some people were saying "slavery is never sexy" Well if you read PAST that bit you will see she does NOT portray it as sexy. Because it is not.

WHY I like this story?
You have messed up Edward. He is not the brightest bulb on the tree. He needs some serious social lessons. He gets a hair up his ass about wanting a sex slave. WHY? Well he does not think it out really far but to him, in his simplistic way of viewing things, this is the way to go. After all, his own personal sex slave would give him what he wants - no questions asked.

So he has an acquaintance that deals with this. The guy asks Edward all kinds of questions. Taking his "order" so to speak. Through the many twists and turns of the story we come to see that this girl, that has been forced into slavery, is there because of this order.

OH MY the stuff that happens in each chapter has me more excited for the next just to see where Savage is gonna take poor doofissward next.

This guy thinks he has it all under control. He THINKS he is doing well.
Poor poor Edward. He did the one big mistake most males make: he thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was it that gave you the 'spark' for your story? Was it a picture? A
moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
No spark, just seriously pissed off at the Edward in Unexpected Circumstances.  I was writing what I considered one of the most important pieces of UC so far, and I just wasn’t hearing his voice at all.  I just had this pissy, self-centered, obnoxious gangster voice in my head instead.  I couldn’t get rid of it, so I wrote it out instead.  After writing a couple chapters that way, I could hear UC Edward again.  Is that crazy??

Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any 'triggers' to get you in the writing mood?
 Could be Worse, Right? has been very different for me as far as how I am writing it.  Short, not very well constructed chapters with no beta at all!  I don’t really suggest writing this way, though it has been a learning experience, that is for sure.



Give us an elevator pitch. Say you're in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
It’s not about sexual slavery!  LOL  It really isn’t.  It’s about a guy who never had anything as a kid growing up and tries to make up for that later in life when he has the money.  Basically, it’s him finding out the money can’t buy happiness, and that he’s not entitled to anything and everything he wants just because he can afford to buy it.  It’s also about understanding the consequences of your actions, and realizing some decisions can’t just be reversed.  From another side, it is also about his completely lack of understanding of how to deal with people in general, and how he reacts when he cares about someone other than himself for the first time in his life.

Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?
Rob and Kristen. 


Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
It started out without an outline, but by about chapter 4-5 I knew where it was going, and by chapter 10 I knew how it was going to end.

Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
Not for this story – I have had several wonderful betas. I wuvs my betas.
 
Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
Unexpected Circumstances is probably the biggest thing I have going on at the moment.  Prince Edward wins Isabella’s hand in marriage as the prize in a jousting tournament.  She’s a handmaid, and the story is mostly about trying to overcome their class differences and learn to be a couple.  There a lot of drama and war and such as well.
I also recently just started writing a new vamp fic, which won’t start posting until after at least one of my current two stories is done.  Maybe not until they are both done.  Heheh.  It will be dark, it will be EPOV.  He will think humans are pretty tasty.

What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)
I’ve been constantly thrilled by the reactions of readers to my various stories.  Though they are all very different in setting, there is usually an underlying theme, which the fan base seems to appreciate.  I can’t believe the amount of support I have received from readers.  It’s overwhelming.

Do you have a background in writing? 
Sorta kinda. Nothing official.

How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
I’ll tell ya, writing CBWR? Has definitely challenged me here!  When it was only a few chapters in, I had a LOT of people ticked off about it because of what they thought the story was going to be about.  (I’ve actually received a few apologies since then, too.)  I’m really not too insecure, but I do feel like I have to justify myself when questioned. I have done a lot of that recently!   

Do you tell your friends and family that you're an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
Not too many of them, no.

Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most? 
I’ve never said yes before, but as some people have already guessed, I’m a bit like Alice in this story. Not a lot, but a bit. At least, I am more like her than any other character I have written in Twificland. Yeah, there is a reason people call me Savage.

Which RL author(s) inspires you?
H.P Lovecraft.  Gotta love eldergods that look like squid.

Did any FF authors inspire you?  What was it that had you reading FF and
thinking "I could do this"?
I did really like the way QuantumFizzx posted The Plan, which is why I tried it out. I doubt I will ever do another story posted like this one, but it has been interesting!


What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
Write 500-1000 words a day.  At least. About anything. Just make sure you write at least that much.
  
Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I am a big soccer fan. Major League Soccer in the US just started their regular season. Go Columbus Crew!!!!  Woot!!!  (Sir Edward’s colors in UC as gold and black, the same as the Crew. Hehehe)

If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional who would it be and what would you say to them?
Right now, I’d like to hang out with FF.Nets tech support for a few minutes.
 
What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
Over the top, stereo typical Alice.

What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
Assumptions.

Anything else you would like to add?
Chonga created the “Paris” banner for CBWR?, which I’m handing over to Roselover to post with this interview. Yeah, it’s definitely foreshadowing.  Go ahead and take a good look, read into it what you want, and no, I’m not going to tell you anything else about it until the related chapter(s) post. I’m just that evil.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Savage is an amazing wrier and CBWR is an awesome story. Those that jumped the gun -and got her kicked off ff.net- without even reading the totality of this story are sad and pathetic. I appauld her for her talent and preserverence and will happily rec all of her stories, this one included, to anyone.

Thank you for this interview!

Keye Cullen said...

Loved reading this interview with Savage!! This was great:

If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional who would it be and what would you say to them?
Right now, I’d like to hang out with FF.Nets tech support for a few minutes.

Yes, I just bet she would!!!! And I don't blame her one stinkin' bit!!!!

Keye

CharliDenae said...

Oooooo! I'm a Jalice shipper, but I do indulge in Bedward occasionally, if the story is good. I'm gonna' try this one out!!

Thanks for showing us what we were missing!

Post a Comment