August 10, 2010

Sue's interview with WendyLou author of Patriot Hearts





 (Banner made by MsRason)
I am sitting here staring at my computer wondering WHAT the heck to write about this fic 

I am trying to be different and unique 


and I am coming up with nothing 


THIS is not the fault of this story rather the fault of my tired little brain 


I found this fic in a period romance community and I was all excited because you guys know I have a thing for period Romance (at least you should by now) 


WHY do I like period Romance because you can read the characters in their Cannon behaviors and it just fits better 


Edward and his possessive sexist attitude fits 


Bella and her blushing shyness 


and let's not forget the whole morality thing it fits a different time better

here is Wendylou s summary 

In colonial America, farm girl Bella would rather play in the wilderness than behave like a young lady. Edward is the son of a rich landowner and very proud. An unlikely romance unfolds.


AND now for my reasons you should give this little diddy a read 


It is a sweet fic It has all the romance and insecurity of a young girl falling for a guy it spans more time than the usual twi fics where they fall so each other so the twilight story line in my opinion works better with this story I think it is neat to watch characters grow and change and learn from their mistakes in a story.


Give it a shot ! 
You know the drill read the fic and leave the love!








 What was it that gave you the ‘spark’ for your story?   Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
  
  I think the original idea came to me while on a trip to the Outer Banks in North Carolina.  The trip takes us two days, so we usually stop overnight in Colonial Williamsburg.  We spend the morning of the second day walking around and shopping in Williamsburg before we complete our trip to the beach.  It was actually at one of the sidewalk booths where my daughter was trying on these pretty straw hats that the thought occured to me: if my daughter looks this cute in these old fashioned clothes, I think Bella would too.  Anyway, that was the spark and the more I thought about it the more I thought that the colonial time period would be a good fit for Edward and Bella, even Jacob seemed to fall into place as an Indian.


 Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any ‘triggers’ to get you in the writing mood?
  
  I usually prefer it to be quiet so I can focus.  I don't like music or distractions.  When I write, it is my quiet time. As far as a trigger, it usually starts with an idea of a sweet ot angsty moment that I can't wait to see Bella experience.
   



  Give us an elevator pitch. Say you’re in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
   
 I am not a good salesperson so I would probably just say ..."If your interested in a sweet romantic story about a girl with a little spunk, you should give it a read."


Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?
  
  I hate to answer this question because I think that it is using your imagination that makes reading fun.  I read the Twilight books before I saw the movies and my Edward and Bella are quite different in my minds eye from RPatz and KStew.  I like that and I wouldn't want to plant the seed in someone's head about how colonial Edward and Bella should appear.  In fact, I am purposely vague sometimes in my story because I want the reader to fill in the blanks with their imagination.
 

  Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
   
 Both.  Since Patriot Hearts is my first story, I am learning as I go.  I have a general plot line and outcome in mind for the story that is woven into the events of the time period in which the story takes place.  I also have a place where I brainstorm and organize ideas as they come to me.  But each individual chapter just starts with a small list of things that need to happen in that chapter to progress the story, how these things unfold is completely by the seat of my pants.
Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
  
   No. I don't have one.  When I started the story I was just playing around with it, not thinking that anyone would pay any attention to it.  I never got around to finding out how you get one.  I think if I write another story I will definitely get one.  I also would like to learn how to get a banner made, that would be awesome.
 
 
Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
  
   I am only working on Patriot Hearts at this time, but I think it would be cool to do a sci-fi story with Edward and Bella.  You know, maybe, something Star Trek inspired.  I love that stuff.
 What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)
    I loved the twilight books and those characters.  The fanfiction is a natural step in an effort to never have to finish the story.  Thats what drew me to fanfiction and what keeps me here.  I don't want a good story to come to an end.


Do you have a background in writing?  

   No. None at all, but I don't think you need to be a good writer to tell an interesting story.  In fact, I've read some pretty poorly written stories that kept me reading because the author was creative with the storyline.  I don't expect my story to be the best story ever written,  I just want it to be an entertaining read. 

  How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
   
  I am pretty insecure, I have to admit. When I post a chapter, I keep checking the reviews to see what people have to say.  Readers have been so kind with their reviews that I'm feeling good about what I've written so far. The fact that I'm being interviewed by you makes me think I must be doing something right. In the end, I tell myself that it's all for fun and if no one else likes it--so what?!


  Do you tell your friends and family that you’re an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
   
  I have told a few of the girls I work with and my immediate family that I'm trying my hand at writing, but that's it.  It is still personal to me and until I feel more confident in my writing I'll keep it to myself and a trusted few. I have to admit, I am a little worried about when I go to write lemons what everyone will think. I'm a little shy that way.
 
  Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most?
    
    I think most women identify with Bella in all the stories because she gets to live out all our different romantic and lemony fantasies, so I fit right into that category. As far as personality type, I probably match Charlie the most.  I am laid back and level headed like him and I tend to want to take care of everyone.

Which RL author(s) inspires you?
    
     I don't have any one favorite author but I have always loved science fiction / fantasy: The Lord of the Rings, The Sword of Shannara, The wheel of Time, The Dragonriders of Pern.  All those wonderful other worlds to get lost in -- I love them all.



  Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and thinking “I could do this”?
    
    Not any one in particular.  There are many really great ones out there, but I think the ones that aren't so great are the ones that inspire me.  They are just writing for the fun of writing, not because they want to be a serious writer.

 
What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
    
     Not a bit.
 Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
     
     I hate the sensation of having a fan blow on me.  I can't even stand riding in the car with the AC vents pointed in my direction. It irritates me to the point of insanity.--- Is that random enough?

 
 If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and what would you do?
If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor here. Rob, Kellan, PFach or Jackson or my personal favorite Colin.*SIGH*(taking a moment to contemplate Colin) any actor at all really
    
     Yeah, I swoon for Colin too, but if I could spend 15 minutes with an Edward it would be the SM one that I envisioned when I first read Twilight. He is just the right combination of boy you crushed on in high school and dark mysterious man of the world.  What would we do? Well, 15 minutes isn't long enough to do anything reeeaallly fun (wink, wink) so I would probably have him do tricks like pick up a car and see how far he can throw it or drive nails into a board with his pinky.  You know, let him show off a little. 


 
What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
    
    I love that the Twilight community is made of members from all over the world. It's cool, but It kind of irritates me when foreign authors don't use the correct American terminology in stories set in America. We have living rooms / family rooms not lounges, sweaters not jumpers,  sneakers / tennis shoes not trainers, etc.


 
What is your Fandom Pet peeve?
     It's all good.

 
What do you want to be when you grow up?
  
      I never really have had any lofty ambitions.  I just wanted to be happy and I always wanted to be a mom and luckily that dream came true. 


 
Anything else you would like to add?
   
     Not really, but how about my favorite quote?---"My question to them is: When is the right time? If not now, when? If not us, who?"  Barak Obama



Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment