August 27, 2010

Sue's interview with TXBirdie about her fic Tangled up in Blue


Edward Cullen is looking for inspiration to write THE American novel. Bella Swan is looking for inspiration, any inspiration, to pull her from her doldrums existence. But what they find in each other, neither of them could have expected.


You know what I have nothing witty to say this morning. The kids are screaming and arguing over whether or not 5yr old Nik does indeed have Jammie socks.
I have long ago given up the illusion of being able to say that I truly understand my kids.
Now where was I cause I got interuptted by the kids again asking about socks ...just a minute EMOTEEN 1 needs some redirection..


The point? When your a mom writing is anything but easy even the nonsense I put up here.


This story is about Bella who always wanted to be an author, well real life got in her way. Kids, a husband ,cleaning gum out of the carpet, trying to determine that mystery stain in the carpet and not really wanting to know the answer ...


She gets a chance to do something different. For one week a year she goes on a writers retreat.


Just reading that I started singing heaven ..I'm in heaven.. and my heart beats so that I can hardly ... BOYS!! STOP IT! MOMMY IS BUSY!


sorry


Through the course of these retreats we get to know Bella and oddly enough Edward is another writer and he is at the retreat.


THAT'S right Bella and Edward are NOT married in this fic
She is married to Jake
He is engaged to someone else
This story goes on the thought that Bella and Edward are the soul mates we like to think of them as so  what would have happened if fate made them not meet in high school? Does that connection still exist even though they are devoted to others ? If so what do they do about it?


OK the author and I talked for HOURS (not that that is anything new I am a talker!) we had so much fun ! wish you all could have been there
OK lets learn more about her and her fic in the interview I sure hope it makes sense we got a little goofy and my kids kept interrupting as always SO you know what to do. Read the interview, look at the sexy cuddle pics - some of which may be NSFW, I am going for sensual here - and then leave some love




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 What was it that gave you the ‘spark’ for your story?   Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?


ummm lets see a couple maybe last year I got really obsessed with the song Sometime Around Midnight by The Airborne Toxic Event. The idea of it is being in love with somebody that you can't have. So I thought about how two people who were meant to be together but met at a time where they could not be together and what would they do about it. I wanted to write this story but I could not write it as an original fic so I found fanfic and thought THAT is how I can write this story.


Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any ‘triggers’ to get you in the writing mood?


TxBirdie: NAP TIME

Sue : the best fucking time of the day. How I miss nap time.
TxBirdie: I count the minutes everyday. When they shut the fuck up I can finally hear my own thoughts
Sue : now you know why most of the stuff I say is so confusing there is never ummm quiet. 5 yr old asked for the comb so he can look cool


Give us an elevator pitch. Say you’re in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?


TxBirdie: My fic is like pudding cups. You can't have just one


Sue: BWHAHAHAHHAA
TxBirdie: that was just for you
Sue: this was after an argument with my 10 yr old that he cannot have a 3rd pudding cup tonight
TxBirdie: It's sinful and delicious and probably really bad for you. It IS like pudding cups
Sue: YAY
TxBirdie: we're sticking with that


 BEST COP OUT OF THAT QUESTION EVER
 I deserve some SYTYCW prize
 PUDDING CUPS
 I'll give you my address


Sue : BROWNIES
TxBirdie: better. Special brownies and I'm yours






Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?


Edward is nearly always Rob. Recently sometimes James Franco. Sometimes he's an old crush but I'm not giving you photographic evidence of that. Bella is an older version of Kristen Stewart because I love her. I know not everyone does but I do. But I'm not like a weirdo obsessed Kstew lover just a fan. A lot of my supporting cast are vamps that haven't been in the movies yet so they're just in my head. Garrett is John Corbett though. The rest of the known folks are the actors from the movie.
Zaphrina is Alfre Woodward. big hair, flowing caftcans, doobie in her lips


Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?


a little of both. I have the main beginning middle end all planned out but each chapter gets written as I go. My story is not influenced by reviews or theories I know what I want to happen in each chapter


Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?


I do. Agirlreckoning has recently started comma patroling for me. And I have a few pre-readers/content betas for me that are SO helpful. Drunknessie, kstewfangirl and my Sugartits. Seriously the extra set of eyes and thoughts (and ok the ego stroking) makes my writing so much better. and vanessarae1 is going through all the early chapters to fix any mistakes


Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?


I think any writer thinks this but I can't get the story ideas to shut up. I have a novel that I've completed and am self editing to submit to agents. It's gotten a little neglected because of TUiB. I also have about four or five more original novel ideas and three or four fanfics that I want to write. I just want to write write write until I'm too old to type.


What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)


Seeing everyone talk about it on Twitter made me jump off the bridge like everybody else and take a look. I had NO idea what it was and my originial thoughts on fanfic were not all that friendly. Like I thought it was just fourteen year old pimple faced kids beating off to Anime sex in their basements. I had NO idea there was so much talent out there and that's what's kept me here. And it's fucking fun.


 Do you have a background in writing?


TxBirdie: I was an English Major for my half my college career. Lots of creative writing classes and I always wanted to be a writer I just didn't think I was good enough
 but nothing really beyond far fetched dreams


 sniff
 wah
 writing my original fic (that she is getting cleaned up to try to publish) has helped me be a better fanfic writer
 I go at things assbackwards


How about your creative self-confidence?  By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?


I'll be perfectly honest and not overly humble or overly confident. If I didn't think I could write anything worth two shits, I wouldn't. But I do obsess over shit being good enough too. I just try to trust the story and let go.


Do you tell your friends and family that you’re an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?


I JUST came clean to my husband like two weeks ago. I was so worried he'd think I was the biggest fucking dork in the world. But he didn't. He thought it was awesome that I had people reading my stuff and that I was opening myself up like that. Then he made me read him all my lemons. No one else in RL


Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most?


Well as a mother I'm writing Bella from a lot of my own experiences so in some ways a lot with her. But strangley I write Edward way too easily. Drunknessie insists that I have a secret penis. I identify a lot with him.


Which RL author(s) inspires you?


Barbara Kingsolver, Sue Monk Kidd, Anne Lamott, Janet Fitch, and Mary Karr Billie Letts


Did any FF authors inspire you? What was it that had you reading FF and thinking “I could do this”?


I think anybody willing to put themselves out there for reviews and criticism are inspiring. Nobody is paying them to do it, nobody is making any money, they're doing it for the love of writing and that rocks my socks.
It wasn't any one writer per say that had me thinking I could do this it was more the idea of fan fic in general. This story had been in my head and I wanted to write it but it was very personal to me in a lot of ways. So when I found fan fic I thought this is the way to do this story, in the safety of the characters being Edward and Bella and the anonymity of posting online with a pename


What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?  


Do it! But don't run and post it and soon as the computer ink dries. Sit and mull over your story a bit. Let it sink in. Sleep on it. Write some more until you know for sure where the story is going and what you want it to be. Know your story before you let anyone else.


Give us a Random Fact about yourself?


I stop every watch I try to wear and my husband gets mad when I flip switches for high lights because I always burn out the bulbs. I run at a high electrical frequency. Batteries last for two minutes around me camera, cell phones anything. I also feel every earthquake even tiny ones


If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional who would it be and what would you say to them?


As much as I LOVE Rob and would get my shit all over that boy it has to be my first ever crush that's stayed strong for what seventeen years


 JARED LETO


I would ask him to play Jordan Catalano to my Angela Chase. We'd find a boiler room. He just keeps getting hotter with age. Or I'd want him to sing to me


What is your FanFic Pet peeve?


lol the loaded question. I have overused words pet peeve

  • ghosted
  • pebbled
  • hitched
  • hissing
  • hooded eyes



What is your Fandom Pet peeve?


The fandom is not real life. If it feels like real life go out and get one. Because you have a problem that needs professional intervention.



Anything else you would like to add?
no Sue in two hours of talking I think I've cover it all lmao You want my bra size? Ovulation date?
Sue: sure
TxBirdie: grocery budget?
Sue: there is no such thing as TMI on this blog
TxBirdie: 34B, two weeks ago and about 100 a week. My son ate my boobs, they were a 34 C before him
Sue: I am so sorry. I still have my big boobs they have just shifted
TxBirdie: my daughter did not eat my boobs. she's a girl, she understands. mine hide in my armpits
Sue: what a good girl















The conversation went on from there discussing boobs and what happens when you breast feed and have babies and all that stuff 

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment