July 6, 2010

Silvers interview with Derdrui oFaolain‏ for her fic And With Thee Fade Away


"And with Thee Fade Away” is a story that I’m more than sure most people have heard of by now.  If you haven’t I suggest that after you’re done with this interview, you drop everything to read it. It’s a twist on canon, with an Edward to die for. I don’t think I’ve read a story that captures so many genres- romance, drama, humour and heartache are all a part of this story. More importantly it does this, and it works.  The characters are engaging and brilliantly written, and this story has some of the most amazing one liners I’ve seen in fic.  It’s one of my favourite stories, I can’t praise it enough.



1. Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?

I read a broad range of genres—mysteries, romances, thrillers, historical fiction. I've always wanted to combine these just to see what the result would look like, kind of like a chemistry experiment. When I read Twilight, I saw a lot of directions Stephenie Meyer's setup might have taken, and I was a little disappointed when the storyline didn't push many limits. An obvious example is Charlie—Bella's father is the local police chief, there are bad vampires running amok, but SM never really connected these two in an interesting way. This was really a murder mystery waiting to happen.

Also, I threw a lot of my random personal knowledge into the mix. My life sometimes feels like a sitcom of strange hobbies. Oddly enough, I've had a lot of experience with old British cars, guns, and Russians (but thankfully not the Mafia).

2. Why do you think readers should read your story?

I think everyone could do with a little wackiness here and there, no? Also, I think there's a little something for everyone in this story, and some interesting historical backdrops for the scholarly sorts out there.

 3. Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?  

Despite what my Edward would tell you, it's bad to drive over the speed limit and carry illegal weapons. Just thought I should clarify that.

4.  Give us a Random Fact about yourself

I pretty much have no sense of taste. I consume a ridiculous amount of black coffee, and whisky is my drink of choice. I'm not really much of a badass—it all just tastes like water to me.

5. Do you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever …

I have to wear socks when I write, which makes about as much sense to me as it does to everyone else. Tea is also a must (Earl Grey with nothing in it, if anyone cares).

6. What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?

I usually spend a moment or two panicking that I've forgotten something important, and that enormous plot holes will swallow my story whole. Most of my plotlines are very dependent on details from start to finish, which means that if I forget one, the whole thing might derail itself. I'm paranoid like that.

7. Do you have a soundtrack to your stories?

I do. Like with books, I listen to a lot of music genres. I usually have a song in mind when I write, so I provide the title and artist at the top of each chapter, whether it's Chopin or Lady Gaga. I also like to include some of the lesser-known bands I hear—not to be an indie snob, but because I like sharing neat stuff.

8. What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?

That's a hard one. I really don't imagine any actors as E & B. I do, however, find it useful to picture Edward as David Bowie circa The Thin White Duke, especially when he's doing or saying something crazy. This may upset some people, but the Edward from my story is not supposed to be the Adonis-like god of perfection he is in canon. I see him as an atypically handsome ginger Brit with Bowie cheekbones and Pattinson hair.  

9. Is the story all planned out or do you create it as you go?


Oh, it was incredibly planned. By the time I sat down to write the story, it felt like I was novelizing a movie I'd already seen. I have an outline addiction, to the point that I plan some of the one-liners months in advance. I think my best dialogue and plot twists come from sudden bursts of inspiration at 3am when I'm working my nightshift café job. Espresso and exhaustion bring out the snark in me.

10. Do you believe in HEA?

In real life? I suppose so. That is, if the 'happily' part means that the sum total of good events outweighs the bad. If every single thing in life was considered 'happy,' I think we'd all lose our frame of reference and everything would get a bit boring. But I'd say yes, I do believe in HEA, since I'm not nearly depressed enough to claim that happy endings are a worldwide conspiracy.
I think when it comes to fiction, the ending really hinges on the purpose of the story. The Greeks loved killing everyone off, but I think it's okay to treat oneself to uplifting tales every now and then.


11. Give me a list of your current projects.

I'm in the middle of an original novel, which is sort of an urban fantasy/Western/romance. I'm also busy writing "Clockwork," which is Twific with time travel in the mix.

12.Do you have any more fic plans in the future? 

As I just mentioned, I've posted the first few chapters of "Clockwork."

13. What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?

I don't remember why I picked up the books in the first place. It was probably partly because of the vampires, and partly because of the hype. As for fanfiction, I had written a bit for "Doctor Who" a while back, so when I got the idea for "And with Thee Fade Away," I just hopped on over to the Twilight fandom. ("Doctor Who" is great, by the way, so if you haven't seen it, hop to it!)

14. What is your background in writing?

I'm an English major, so I do a lot of writing because of that. I've also taken creative writing classes. Still, I'd say most of my writing experience comes from my personal projects. I've always got a bunch of writing projects going at once—original novels and fanfiction.

15. FANTASY TIME 
If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and what would you do?
(If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor here. Rob, Kellan, PFach or Jackson)


I'd probably go with canon Edward. We'd have a talk about ivory turtlenecks and sleeveless button-downs, and how any self-respecting man (who doesn't live in a sleazy lounge from 1985) should never wear such things.

16. What is your FF pet peeve?

I dislike situations in which the plotline and/or character development is sacrificed in favour of over-the-top angst. Drama is great, but it should have a purpose.

17. What is your Fandom pet peeve?

Liek omgfz FIFTEEN-YEAR-OLD GIRLS WHO EXPRESS THEIR OPINIONS IN THE MOST ANNOYING WAYS ImAgInAbLe!!!1!!

18. Which RL author inspires you?

 Neil Gaiman and Gabriel García Márquez are my present loves, but George Eliot, Anthony Trollope, and Lawrence Sterne are the old school writing deities I worship.

19. Do any FF authors inspire you?

I have to mention WhatsMyNomDePlume, since she's sort of my guide through the fandom. Without her, I'd be wandering aimlessly around the internet, looking very silly, I'm sure. As a writer, she's awfully inspiring, since her prose is more sparkly than all the Cullens combined.

20.  Do you have any recs for us?

Not currently, no. I'm sort of new to Twific, so I'm sure anything I'm reading right now has already been devoured by everyone else.

21. Anything else you would like to add?

Only that this fandom has greatly impressed me with its quality, intelligence, and friendliness. Ladies, you're the best.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment