May 14, 2010

Tanja's Interview with twistedcoincidence about 'Unraveled Knot'


Unraveled Knot by twistedcoincidence & Between the Buildings

Summary: A round peg in a square hole. It’s not always the easiest fit that works the best. Maybe if it’s not hard it’s just not worth it. AU/AH E/B Collab with Between the Buildings *DISCLAIMER* We do not own these characters, rather we borrow them for our use
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 32 - Words: 179,272 - Reviews: 1219 - Updated: 3-26-10 - Published: 3-12-09 - Bella & Edward - Complete



One week, on Twitter, I was browsing through the stuff I faved and found 3 tweets from three people, that have nothing to do with each other, mentioning a fic called Unraveled Knot

For me, that was a good enough reason to start reading this story and I don't regret one moment of it.

What I liked the most about Unraveled Knot was the way it has been written in the way the different POVs intertwine. At the beginning you don't really know whose POV you're reading. You only realize something is different because the font changes. Which IMO makes it much more interesting.

Soon we learn that it's Bella and Edward POVs that we are reading and that both have some issues in their lives they are trying to deal with - more or less successful.

Edward and Bella met when his job as accountant, a "pencil neck" as Bella calls them, brings him to Bella's nonprofit organization to work on the finances. Through a tragedy some years earlier he has lost his spark and leads a very "boring" life. He works as an accountant, doesn't have much contact to his family anymore and he fell out of love with his girlfriend that he planned to marry.


Enter Bella a very outgoing, slightly chaotic, person that loves music and her job as a director of a nonprofit organization helping bringing music back to schools that have been silent for years. But she's afraid of commitment and her exboyfriends are numbered. An idea Emmet, her roommate, best friend and number 6, came up with.
I don't know how or why it happens but I know that it does. Then again, who knows what our true capacity for love is? Furthermore, who's to say that we even have a capacity for it at all? What if we just think that we feel it when all we're feeling is a little bit of excitement mixed in with fear? What if we're just so terrified of losing somebody and of being alone that we convince ourselves that we're in love when we're really not?
Enter Bella, an outgoing, slightly chaotic, person that loves her friends, music and her job as a director of a nonprofit organization that brings music to school that have been silent for years. But she's afraid of commitment and actually numbers her boyfriends before she hooks them up with other girls. An idea Emmet, her best friend, roommate and number 6, came up with.
Emmett was actually number 6. It lasted longer than most, almost breaking my three week record before I figured out that I liked him too damn much to let him waste his time on me. And I had been stuck with him ever since. Not that I mind at all.
He didn't particularly like 22. Not like 17, he was really rooting for 17 and when I put that to rest it was an entire night of me, Emmett and the captain going round and round.
What follows is a story of to different, broken, people who find friendship (and love) and learn that you sometimes have to jumb over your shadow to see what's best for you.

Lets see what Twistedcoincidence has to say before I sound like an even bigger idiot.

1. Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration? 
It started out with simply wanting to create something realistic. Real people with issues that people can relate to. And then there was the desire to make Edward a little different. Something other than a lawyer or doctor. As far as inspiration...I have to give props to Robert Pattinson...


2. Why do you think readers should read your story?
I *hope* people will read it because they relate to the characters and see a little of themselves there. And then possibly because they like a little humor mixed with romance and a dash of drama.

3. Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically? 
That they are a HUGE part of what motivated authors to write. Knowing that people read and even like what I write makes me want to write more. And they're awesome ;)

(Q courtesy of Mels) Give us a Random Fact about yourself
I don't have a middle name. My parents totally deprived me of one. 

4. Do you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever? 
HAHA. Music. Really good music. I can't write without it. Wine usually plays a role as well, but its not always required.

5. What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter? 
Goodness, slump into my couch and grin. It's such a fantastic feeling to hit that button...


6. Do you have a soundtrack to your stories? 
I have a ton of songs I associate with Unraveled Knot, but I've never shared with anyone. There's a ficmix for Thicker than Water. It's fabulous and I believe its linked on my profile page. 

7. What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella? 
Edward- ALWAYS Rob (I just can't help it) Bella- it changes. I don't really see her as a specific actress, more of a personality. 
  
8. Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing? 
I like to get down general ideas, scenes I want to use, but I let the chapters write themselves. It's one of the best parts of writing, the surprises you find while you do it.

10. Do you believe in HEA? 
I am SUCH a sap for a HEA. I keep wanting to be edgy and dark and tear everyone up, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Someday though...


11. Give me a list of your current projects. 
Currently I'm just starting a new long AU/AH. I won't be posting for a little while, but its definitely in the works ;)

Do you have any more fic plans in the future? 
I think so. I have a ton of ideas, we'll see how many come to life. 


12. What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight? 
To Twilight, a friend. She insisted that I read and went as far to buy me the books and leave them in my room. And to fanfic, a rainy afternoon and too much time on my hands brought  me to an author named Limona. I was hooked after that.


13. What is your background in writing? 
Not much... I minored in English in college, and wrote for my school paper, but that's about it.


14. FANTASY TIME 
If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and what would you do? (If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor here. Rob, Kellan, PFach or Jackson) 
I kind of love this question. And i feel like it answers itself. If i could have fifteen minutes with Rob, well, doors would be shut. I don't want to taint the innocent minds...


15. What is your FF pet peeve? 
The same characters over and over. I love it when people branch out and give their characters a little bit of a twist, a little mystery. It makes everything that much more exciting.

16. What is your Fandom pet peeve? 
All the back talk. People bashing other people's fics. In reality we're all just spreading out creative wings and there should only be love and concrit. 

17. Which character do you Identify with the most? Any character who would you like to see yourself with? Either as buddies or more? 
I've never really thought about this. Relate to, probably Rosalie. She seems introspective and a little impulsive. See myself with, I'm not sure. My instant reaction is Edward, but Emmett is probably closer to my type....


18. Which RL author inspires you?
Too many to mention. But I really love Zadie Smith and Chaim Potok.


Did any FF authors inspire you
I adore Feisty Beden and Quothe me. HunterHunting does THE BEST lemons. And you can't talk about fic without mentioning AngstGoddess.


19. If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a Question who would you ask and what would your Question be? 
I would love to know what any one of them thought of the portrayal of their character verses the book portrayal. What they would have liked to see in the movies that was glazed over. 


20. Anything else you would like to add?
I can't thank the readers enough. :)

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment