April 10, 2010

Sue's interview with Lillibellis about 'Rhapsody in B'

What is it about guys that play instruments?
And guys who write poetry?
Those tortured artist types...
WELL we just wanna wrap them up and take them home and make them brownies!
And watch them finger pick a six string....I love finger picking
(on a guitar! Get your heads outta the gutter, you pervs).

The Edward in this fic is like that.

Since I could not find a banner for this fic and we all know I got a thing about looking at pretty pics WELL here is a pic Tanja is letting us use from her (ahem) personal stash and I made the banner ...OK OK I added words to the pretty pic LOL

Sure hope I spelled everything right in the banner !

ON WITH THE SHOW

Bella is a friend of Edward, the weird guy who carries around a notebook he is always writing his song lyrics in. Bella's mother, Renee, starts a New Year's Eve tradition for her family to carry on.We watch their lives and relationship change by seeing these snippets of New Year's Eve. Every year Her Song is sung by Edward, to Bella...

So what happens when Edward becomes a famous singer? How does their relationship change while Bella stays behind ?


Her Summary:
When a rising musician falls in love with his small town childhood friend, can their yearly New Year's Eve tradition bring them together once he rockets to stardom and leaves her behind?

So why do I like it so much?
Edward is this sweet guitar-playing guy ...SWOON.

And Bella, well... she is not quite cool and confident, however she is loveable.

I ADORE the treatment of the side characters,
ESPECIALLY JAMES!
You heard me. I FREAKIN LOVE JAMES in this fic!

Someone has to...

There were parts in here that brought this cold black heart to tears..
and others that made me sigh in contentment.

So my dears, if this sounds like something that you might enjoy, read the interview then go read the fic and ENJOY.
NOW I bring you the witty and talented
LILLIBELLIS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
I get a lot of compliments on the once-yearly format of Rhapsody in B, but it was not my idea. Rhapsody in B is the plot bunny of a friend of mine, Tor, who asked me to write her a fluffy feel-good story. She gave me a basic outline, and I did my thing with it. Obviously I’ve failed to make it fluffy, but this Edward and Bella and their journey together are very near and dear to my heart.

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
There are a few misconceptions a few of my readers have about some events in the story, but my intent was to be vague, so those things will be cleared up as the story progresses. There are only three more chapters and an epilogue left, so they won’t have to wait very long.

Why should readers read your story?
I think it’s a sweet (although sometimes sad) coming of age story. Rhapsody in B’s Bella’s experience is similar to that of many young adults. I think most of us at some point have dated someone who was wrong for us, had a friend we’ve had more than friendly feelings for, or loved someone and just couldn’t quite get things together in order to be with them. I wanted the story to be intimate - to make sure the readers could identify with this Bella and her struggles. I think that nearly all of the characters in Rhapsody in B are people who are relatable; you’ll want to root for things to work out for all of them. At least you will if I’ve done my job correctly.

So you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&M's, drink heavily whatever...?
Before I write a chapter, I always sit down and watch the episode of I Love the 90’s that corresponds with the year of the chapter I’m writing, so I can make notes of which pop culture references I want to make. As my girl kathy-rindhoops pointed out, I failed miserably at mentioning grunge, especially considering this story takes place in Washington. I have to live with that oversight every day of my life, and it haunts me! But, what’s done is done.

Lately, writing has become a tedious process for me, and it’s hard for me to make myself sit down and do it. Sometimes the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that people are invested in this story, and I push myself to finish it for them. As far as environment goes, I have to be alone, and I have to have white noise in the background, usually supplied by a huge stand fan that’s sitting in my bedroom. I can’t have music or any other noise. I’m picky!

What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?
I try to do relaxation breathing, because I freak out every time I put a chapter up. I’m talking full-on panic attack; rapid heartbeat, sweaty palms, the whole nine. I’m always scared of reactions, that I haven’t conveyed things the way I wanted to. It’s always interesting for me to see the different interpretations my readers have, considering they all read the same story.

Do you have a soundtrack to your stories?
Rhapsody in B does, considering Edward is a musician and sings to Bella every year. But my other stories? No soundtrack.

What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
You know, in my head, my Bella and Edward don’t really have faces. When I write about their physical features, I think of whatever it is I’m writing about (eyes, nose, smile, etc.), but I’ve never put them all together to form a full face. It’s hard for me to even imagine which actor or actress would resemble either of them.

Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
Rhapsody in B is all planned out – all of my stories have been. As I learn what works and what doesn’t work for me as I write, I’ve realized that I need a lot of wiggle room as far as plot goes, but I would be very uncomfortable if I didn’t have an end point in mind. I’m an amateur - I don’t know if any of this is ‘right’, but it’s what works for me.

Do you have a posting Schedule? If so what is it?
I always post on Wednesdays. My goal is to update once a week, but lately between real life and writing I’ve been feeling burnt out, so I’m trying to give myself a bit of a break. I’m updating once every two weeks now. I feel bad for making people wait, but I don’t want to make myself crazy over updating, either.

Do you believe in HEA?
Of course. But I don’t think that a HEA always means that your two main characters end up together. HEAs are different for everyone and vary according to circumstance.

Give me a list of your current projects. Do you have any more fic plans in the future?
I have about fifteen chapters of my Support Stacie auction fic written, and I have a Fandom Gives Back fic in the works. Whether either of those things will see the light of day, I don’t know yet. I change my mind on that daily -I think that in the end though, I’ll probably wind up posting one if not both of them. I also have a gift exchange fic that I’ve written that will be posted once the recipient reads it. I have some Intersection outtakes to finish, and a reader purchased a Rhapsody in B outtake in the Fandom Gives Back auction that will be going up on FF.net.

What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
I read the Twilight series after I saw the movie last year. I had no idea what any of it was before that. I came to fanfic after reading Breaking Dawn and being unsatisfied with that ending, looking for anything better. I used to read only AU vamp fics, but since there seemed to be so few of those (although the number is now growing) I branched out to AH. The rest, as they say, is history.

What is your background in writing?
I wrote for my high school yearbook. That’s the extent of it. I have no illusions that I’m a professional caliber writer, and I know none of my writing will ever be published. I started writing fic because I just wanted to see if I could write a whole story from beginning to end. Intersection is novel-length, so I’ve done what I set out to do. I continue writing because it’s fun for me, and a nice respite from the daily grind of my job and responsibilities.

OK Fantasy Time!
If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SM's, which one would you choose and would you do?
Without question, I would spend my 15 minutes with Hydraulic Level 5’s Edward, and just grill the hell out of him. There are so many things I want to ask him, I don’t even think 15 minutes would begin to be enough time.

What is your FF pet peeve?
Aside from reading stories where the author doesn’t know the difference between they’re and their, you’re and your, etc., I really hate cliches. I don’t really like that Jake is many times portrayed as the abusive, asshole ex-husband. Was he an ass in canon? Absolutely. But for the most part, at the most basic level, he was a very good friend to Bella - I like seeing him portrayed as such.

What is your Fandom pet peeve?
I dislike the fact that if someone is vocal about not liking a fic, that they are more often than not branded as being ‘jealous’ or a ‘hater’. Not every story suits every taste, and that’s okay. There are plenty of popular fics I don’t like, but I don’t begrudge others for liking them. I also wish more people in this fandom were more skilled at giving/receiving constructive criticism. There are so many ways to criticize with tact, but that is often lacking. Many people tend to take criticism negatively (I have done this on occasion, I’ll admit), when it’s not. Everyone in this fandom is entitled to an opinion. But at the end of the day, it’s just that. An opinion.

Which character in your fic do you identify with the most?
I identify with all of the characters in my stories in some way. Even though she’s a minor character, I identify most with the Rose in Rhapsody in B.

Any character who would you like to see yourself with? Either as buddies or more?
Honestly, I’ve sat here for about twenty minutes trying to think of an answer to this question, so I guess the simplest one is no.

Which RL author inspires you? Did any FF authors inspire you?
I can’t think of any RL authors who inspire me per se. I guess if I had to choose, I’d say Nora Roberts. I’ve never read anything she’s written, but I worked at a bookstore when I was in college, and she came in for a book signing. The signing was kind of dead, and she and I got to chat for a few hours. She was a lovely woman, and I asked her a ton of questions about her methods and the world of publishing, and not once did she seem annoyed. I liked her a lot.

As far as fanfiction goes, I wouldn’t say I find anyone inspiring, but I have met quite a few wonderful women that I consider friends. That was more than I anticipated when I got involved in this fandom, so it’s always a plus.

Any recs for us?
I read many popular fics, and I enjoy them all. I’d hate to rec any of those since they get so much exposure as is, and there are so many wonderful undiscovered stories out there that don’t get nearly as much traffic as they should. So, if you have the time, these are a few of the less-recognized stories I love:

One Day Out West by fuzzytomato
Divinity & Redemption by HMonster4 and
Broken by Mandi1

If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a Question who would you ask and what would your Question be?
I honestly can’t think of a single thing I’d ask any one of them. Sad, I know.

Anything else you would like to add?
Nope!

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment