April 11, 2010

Sandy's interview with YesYov about 'The Ties That Bind'


Summary: What happens when your past collides with your present, and changes your future forever? Come read The Ties That Bind.
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Romance/Drama - Chapters: 29 - Words: 198,563 - Reviews: 1229 - Updated: 3-7-10 - Published: 7-19-09 - Edward & Bella

Ready to enter a world where Edward and Bella are all grown up with a child? Read on then, but prepare yourself for a bit of a twist.
This is a story that explores the ramifications of one evening in two people’s lives. Each will in their own way discover that their lives have taken two very different paths, and they have to span the divide of twenty years with some very unexpected assistance.
This story introduces a whole new raft of characters that are non-canon, and whilst some readers that are more used to the purist canon approach may struggle with this, it’s well worth the effort. The extra characters flesh out the development of the overall story to form a tight knit group, and just how YesYov manages to juggle it all I don’t know.
I should know not to question YesYov, after all, I don’t call her the Mastahbeta for nothin’!
People, this writer is a fabulous woman with a heart that is bigger than the sunburnt country we both live in. Give this story your consideration it will reward you for your patience, showing you that it’s love, friendship and compassion that creates The Ties That Bind.

And now… on with the interview!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
I was literally hanging the washing on the clothes line, something I do over and over and over each day, and I was thinking about my girlfriend and her soon-to-be 21 year old son. She had him when she was 19 and has raised him as a single parent. They have a unique and very special relationship. I started thinking of that relationship in terms of a “Bella and Edward” story. While my friend’s personal story is in no way reflected in my fic, her relationship with her son was what got me started thinking about this particular storyline. I did try to change Dan’s age so that it wasn’t too closely mirrored to my friend’s circumstances, but it didn’t work in well with age requirements and parallels in the US, so had to leave Dan’s age at 21. And funnily enough, my friend’s son was just about to leave for a travelling holiday overseas... My friend is reading it btw, but she found it hard to progress past the airport scenes...they made her pretty teary!

2. Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
Without giving the plot away... nah... my lips are sealed!

3. Why should readers read your story?
I wanted to write something different to most of the fics out there; something that would appeal to the more “mature-aged” readers among fanfic readers. Let’s face it, we’re not all 20-somethings and that is a distinction that most of us are very proud of. We’ve lived full lives, and so have my characters. It’s fun exploring that. Not all love stories are meet, fuck, fall in love journeys... I wanted to reflect that in my story.

4. So you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever …?
Not really. I do need uninterrupted time, which in my household, like many others I suspect, is very few and far between. Between home renovations, 5 kids and their varying routines and other family issues, I rarely have time to myself. I steal time when I can – most often a 5am in the morning or late at night when hubs is sleeping.
I do chew on ice chips constantly. Drives my husband crazy! It was a habit I got into when my sister was in hospital last year for quite a while and she was unable to eat anything other than ice-chips, so we used to sit in her hospital room and munch and crunch our way through container after container of crushed ice. It has given me a tooth ache which I had to go see a dentist about though, so probably not the best thing to do!

5. What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?
Panic! Literally. It is a bit better now though, but I vividly remember physically shaking after hitting the submit button with my first couple of chapters. I probably would never have posted chapter 1 if Sandy had not (nicely) bullied me into it.
I used to post late at night, but then I found I couldn’t sleep, so I now post early in the morning, my time, to avoid yet a sleepless night as the reviews come in.

6. Do you have a soundtrack to your stories?
Nah. I was planning to use a Nickleback song in one chapter, but then another writer I know and respect used it, so I didn’t. Then one day, as I was driving along in the car singing Rob Thomas’ Maybe Someday, I realised that it fitted my story perfectly. That was months ago, and I’ve been sitting on it ever since, waiting for the time I could use it (ch 26)

7. What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
A reader asked me this question a couple of weeks ago. I don’t really have particular actors in mind when I imagine my characters – they are, to me, each their own entity...but if I have to come up with someone...
Edward = George Clooney... a little bit younger than he is now, but I suspect RL Rob will age in a similar way
Bella = Ashley Judd – I saw her in a movie recently where she played a Mum and carried a little bit extra weight (alright, I confess, it was The Toothfairy – I took my kids to see it!) and I thought she would make a wonderful Bella for my fic.
Dan = short haired Rob – you know, the crew cut version from a couple of years ago wearing the Raybans and the checked shirt...
Cassie = the girl in my banner; DigsyGalley did a wonderful job on my story banner for me, and the image she found for Cassie is spot on in my mind... I have no idea who the girl is, but the visual is ideal.

8. Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
The story is all planned out – some of it on paper, some of it in my head. The final chapter is written and has been for months already, so there won’t be any changes to it. I know how I want this to end, and what their journey is going to be...I just have to be able to get it right on paper.

9. Do you have a posting schedule ? If so what is it ?
I wish to goodness I have a posting schedule. My time for writing is very limited so I literally write when I can...and that means my chapters go out when they are ready, and not to a regular schedule. I admire the authors who can do that for their readers but my life is dictated to a large degree by the varying needs of my youngish family, so for me, that’s just not possible – no matter how much I wish it could be different.

10. Do you believe in HEA?
Um...without giving anything away...
I believe that HEA’s need to suit the story...
So...do I believe in Knights on white chargers and the great HEA Mills ‘n’ Boon dream? Not necessarily...
But I do believe in authenticity...and we all like to be happy in our lives and our journeys, don’t we?

(Q courtesy of Mels) Give us a Random Fact about yourself
I am an identical twin whose twin sister hates Twilight.
I have a large black Doberman called Bronte.
I love red wine but prefer Blue Sapphire Gin and Tonics in the hot weather.

11. Give me a list of your current projects AND do you have any more fic plans in the future?
No future fics planned...this one has/is nearly killing me... it is a much bigger project than I had originally anticipated.

12. What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
To Twilight? A girlfriend who first introduced me to Buffy and Angel (after years of me scorning her and her supposedly incredibly high IQ for loving a show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer...seriously had to eat humble pie after series 3 and I became an addict!) She told me that I just had to read Twilight – I had dismissed it as a “tween” thing – I was so wrong. (and IMO, some FFs are way better!)
To FANFIC? = Rob... seriously, I read an interview where he mentioned reading Fanfic and I thought, “What the hell is Fanfic?” – I discovered Twilighted first, and then stumbled onto FF after that... the rest they say... is history!

13. What is your background in writing?
None...zilch...zero... I am a reader, not a writer

14. FANTASY TIME
If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and would you do?If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor here Rob, Kellan, PFach or Jackson)
Fedward – despite the fact that I want to kill him myself most of the time (well, at least slap him around the head heaps!) I’d love some one-on-one time with the Fed.
Sinward – bow tie included! Apple pie optional...
50 shades – oh, just give him to me... no conditions!

15. What is your FF pet peeve?
just one? Geez...
“cum for me” – Cum on Command? The female race is not a breed of salivating Pavlovian Dogs are we? I’ve never understood the need for that phrase to be used over and over and over again in ficland...(refer to ch 18 of my fic!)
“Oh you’re so wet/moist/dripping/ready for me” – that’s a biological response... get over it...any Edward should be worried if it doesn’t happen...shouldn’t he?
Virgins orgasming each and every time? Seriously? Fantasy land run amok I say! (again, refer to ch 18)
Mentioning the size/length/thickness of Edward’s peen – I mean really, if he knows what to do with it to get results, what does it matter how big it really is!!!

16. What is your Fandom pet peeve?
People being narky! It costs nothing to be polite other than some well chosen words and a smile.

17. Which character do you Identify with the most?
My Bella – she is the kind of mother I hope to be when I get out of the unending fog I find myself in that is clouding my daily perspective...
Cassie – when I was younger, most certainly.

Any character who would you like to see yourself with? Either as buddies or more?
Nah!
I’m a happily married, mother of 5 adorable children...I don’t need a fantasy land to dream about...really, I’m just obsessed with fanfic cause I have all this free time with nothing to do other than read and indulge in other people’s imaginations...no reason at all to envisage myself snuggled up against someone else...none at all...nope...don’t know what you’re suggesting!

18. Which RL author inspires you?
Dan Brown. Robert Ludlum. JK Rowling – how did she manage to create such a long and incredibly visual story for so long? That is pure talent.

Did any FF authors inspire you?
Plenty...
Lalina – she’s funny, witty, talks with her readers and is full of integrity. She writes great characters and great fics.
Whynot – an amazingly intelligent and talented lady. Enough said.
Sandyk199 – we speak almost every day, and she makes me smile, both in person and when reading her fics. She fantabulous. I would never have started writing without her bullying (I mean, encouragement!)
Snowqueen Icedragons – anyone who can produce such quality, so frequently deserves admiration and respect.
Sebastien Robichaud - this author is crafting such an intricately woven, multi-faceted story that is a joy to read
Lolashoes – I don’t know Lola personally – but her writing is emotive and beautiful

19. Any recs for us?
Look at my favourites list on FF – some are there purely because I have had other readers/writers whom I really respect rec them but I haven’t even had time to start reading them yet...and I so look forward to them...it’s like looking at a wrapped present...the anticipation is amazing...

20. If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a Question who would you ask and what would your Question be?
Jackson – what the hell were you doing agreeing to THAT hairstyle?

21. Anything else you would like to add?
I have been very fortunate to have met some incredibly wonderful people via fanfic.
I am amazed by how generous readers and writers are with their time...I have had readers of my fic help me with all kinds of research, and to me, that is amazing...and I am truly thankful. I try to establish, by way of Author responses to reviews, some kind of reader/writer relationship. I hope each and every one who reviews can sense that. I smile when each review comes in and it’s lovely to be able to “chat” with the regulars.

I want to acknowledge Grendel, too. Without her, my writing would be very substandard. She has given me an incredible gift – her time and her talent.

Thank you Rose and the gals at SYTYCW... this is truly an honour...

And to Sandy, my friend and partner in crime, I smile when I think of you.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment