April 11, 2010

Rae’s Interview with Savage, Author of ‘Hide and Drink’

Hide and Drink – Savage

Summary: Bella’s blood was just too tempting to be ignored. In this version of Twilight, Edward takes Bella on a sadistic journey with his monstrous side. While Edward drags her around the world, barely keeping a step ahead of his frantic family, Bella battles the monster for possession of the gentler vampire inside her captor. EPOV. AU.
So as usual I’m hanging out on Twitter and I see all these people tweeting about this fic called ‘Hide and Drink’ and how crazy good it is. So of course, I have to check it out (because I’m a ficaholic). It was probably the best decision I’ve ever made. It hooked me from the very beginning.

As you can tell from the summary, this is a very dark version of Twilight. From the very first sentence, we see the obsession Edward has with Bella’s blood. He’s so consumed with the smell and taste that he can’t think of anything else and he feels as though he is loosing his mind. In the first chapter, we see Edward at war with himself and ultimately he gives into his nature and bites Bella, however, somewhere from deep within him, a small shred of his sane, former self keeps him from killing her outright.
“There was no other blood like this. Once she was gone, it would no longer be within my grasp. But if I stopped now, she would heal. Her body would make more. The blood would replenish. I could drink again. The promise of more – it was the only incentive that could have caused me to stop.”
This is the whole premise of the story. Edward essentially kidnaps Bella so he can drink her blood over and over again.
“I knew the one thing the monster inside me could not allow was a rush through this experience. Who was I kidding? He wasn’t just inside me now. We had merged.”
Savage’s Edward is dark, creepy, possessive and everything you would ever imagine a vampire being. Without giving too much of the plot away, we see with each new chapter, a different side of him; a side he has yet to even discover within himself; a side Bella is helping him uncover.

‘Hide and Drink’ is fantastically written and it’ll hook you in from the very beginning. I can’t wait to see the rest of Edward’s journey and find out where his character is by the end. I’m excited to see how Edward and Bella’s relationship transforms. If you can handle the rollercoaster ride with a dark and dangerous Edward, I encourage you to read ‘Hide and Drink’ you wont be disappointed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
Savage: When I was done reading the unfinished Midnight Sun, I went in search of EPOV fanfiction. I was intrigued by Edward's possible ways of killing her off, and thought a story of him going to her house after school would be cool. So I searched and searched for one, but didn't find it. I finally decided to write it myself.
Rae: I'm so glad you did! I'm seriously so hooked on this
S: Thank you! It has been a lot of fun to write

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
S: Specifically about H&D? Not at this point. The thing that I have found interesting about the reviews is how often people bring up Stockholm Syndrome. I think sometimes someone is concerned I don't know about it. I used to do seminars on it. It fascinates me, actually.
R: I'm not familiar with Stockholm Syndrome... could you explain a little bit about it?
S: Probably easier to check out wikipedia. The short version is when someone who is in a position of little or no control, i.e. a kidnap victim, victim in a domestic violence relationship, etc. the victim begins to identify and sympathize with their captor. They end up defending the actions of their abuser.
R: Ohhh yes. I have heard of that. I just wasn't familiar with the name
S: It was big in the 90's :)
R: Very interesting way to look at it.
S: I wrote an entire novel on Stockholm, but H&D isn't it.
R: Oh very cool! Has it been published? Or are you in the works of getting it published?

Why should readers read your story?
S: LOLThey shouldn't! It's dark and nasty. No one should read it. I'm kind of worried about how popular it has become.
R: Well, I'm disagreeing.. I obviously think EVERYONE should be reading this. It's amazing. So well written and different. Exactly what vampires should be. :)
S: Thank you (again)! I am very flattered that so many people are interested in it. It just surprises me. My Edward isn't a nice, self-sacrificing Edward. He's very base and animalistic. I didn't expect people who like the original to enjoy this one.
R: Which is actually what I love about it. I love dark and angsty fics though. But I love your Edward because he's so animalistic and possessive. That’s how vampires should be written.
S: I really wanted to explore Edward's head with this one. Bella is a fantastic character, but she really takes a backseat in H&D. It's strictly an Edward story. His reasons for wanting and needing her and how he rationalizes his actions.
R: I also love that aspect as well. That it's strictly his EPOV.
S: I'm not fond of changing POVs.
R: Though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in what Bella has to say and think in some of these chapters!
S: Some things from the beginning we just don't know - she's in shock, she doesn't know how to react. Later on, she expresses herself more freely, once she understands keeping her alive is what he needs.
R: I like the mystery though, of what she's really feeling.
S: Just like the mystery of what Edward was thinking in Twilight.
R: Exactly!
S: He expresses himself a little better farther along as well.
R: I love the pace at which you've set it…how slowly he's beginning to learn things about himself. It's wonderful. You've done a brilliant job with his character. I could really fangirl on you all day! LOL
S: It takes him a while. He's very much two people - the monster and the person we probably like to think of as the "real" Edward, though I'm not so sure that is the case. LOL - I can't get over how many people are following me on twitter. I like being in his head. I don't know if SM would appreciate it, but I'm having with it.
R: I think you are giving the readers what the crave, since we didn't get the rest of Midnight Sun, even though it's different, we still crave that EPOV
S: I hope so. That is what I was looking to do. I wanted the rest of his story, but that had been done - several times. So I opted to go with a darker version. He's not the one from the books, but I think he's still mostly in character.
R: I think so too. Another reason why I like it. This is very well how Twilight could have ended up.
S: I prefer EPOV since we heard all of Bella's version of how things are in the books. I don't feel the need to do that again. Edward is a different story. We only get 1/2 of the first book, and that was long before the release was desired. Who knows what he could have been if SM had the chance to finish before it leaked out. So I go for the dark version, because it's something I personally like and because I don't think anyone can be all good (or all bad). I also like throwing characters into situations where they aren't prepared to cope. Like Carlisle disowning Edward.
R: Yes, that was actually something I wasn't expecting. Because it's so unlike something we imagine Carlisle doing.

What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
S: I don't really get a mental picture of what the characters look like in that level of detail. I just don't think about it too much. I think Rob makes for a hot Edward, so he'll definitely suffice! I guess I'll stick with the "standards" since that's what’s in the movies!

Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
S: All planned out from the beginning, though I do have two different endings. There are a few things that change in the middle, but for the most part it's all outlined.
R: Ooo very intriguing! So you don’t know which way it's going to end?
S: Yes, I do know. I just had two possibilities in the beginning.
R: So you've decided on one then?
S: Yep. :)
R: Would you ever consider posting the other one after the story has ended? As an outtake.. "Alternate ending"? (I have to ask cause people might be curious after this interview!)
S: I have considered it. I'm more likely to write an outtake from BPOV instead, though. I won't write the whole thing over again (I have to finish some actually publishable stuff at some point), but I might consider an alternate ending. Maybe something like the movie Clue!
R: That would definitely be interesting. Whatever you choose to write, I'll definitely be looking out for it! Actually, I'd be intrigued by an Alice outtake Your Alice seems pretty true to cannon and I have to think that she's worried about Edward. Despite the fact that they seemed to have "disowned" him. I'm interested to see how she plays out in the rest of the story.
S: Heh - never thought about doing Alice. She doesn't play a big part, other than to verbally smack him around a bit. I could probably do her version of the phone calls.
R: Sometimes while I'm reading.. when Edward thinks about his family.. I have to wonder if Alice is still looking out for his future. I know she's not a big part. But I still am curious about her and if she'll pop up again. (which you don’t have to tell me... Its just something I think about)
S: Yeah - I'm going to hold my tongue...er...fingers on that one. Forgive me. :)
R: LOL its ok! I expect it. I just like to theorize =)

Do you have a posting schedule? If so what is it?
S: I try to post weekly, and so far I have managed to do that. Once I have gone over it 500 times it goes to a beta reader first, of course. Some weeks I have more time than others. I may have to move to every two weeks...please, no panicking! :) I do try to get one out for each weekend, though.
R: I admire authors that can get their chapters out so quickly.
S: Well, it's mostly written...it just gets fleshed out, rewritten, edited and moved around a bit.
R: Ohh ok. That makes it easier then. :)
S: Sometimes I trash it and start over. I'm very picky
R: Well, the pickiness pays off because it's obvious its very well thought out.

Do you believe in HEA? What is your idea of HEA?
S: Of course - there's lots and lots of happy endings out there. For me, I like a happy ending as long as it is a believable one. I also love a tragic ending as well. Sometimes that's the correct way to end a story. I think it's an HEA as long as the characters have grown, and learned through their experiences. Static characters are much less interesting.
R: Ut oh.. this believing in a tragic ending has me a little worried. ;)
S: *whistling*
R: Ut oh. LOL
S: Hehehe like I said - there were a couple of possible endings. But I love both types - happy/sappy and tragic/noble.
R: That question is just our little way of trying to get some hints on how the story will end. ;) Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. LOL
S: All endings - happy, sad, incomplete - have their place.
R: You are absolutely right.

Give us a Random Fact about yourself
S: Random fact? I own a set of authentic Star Wars Stormtrooper armor.
R: Oh wow! LOL That’s definitely random.
S: And a Jedi outfit. Oh - and I have dueled on stage with light-sabers at the Kennedy Center with the National Symphony Orchestra.
R: LOL I bet that’s an interesting story.
S: It is, but it's a whole other fanbase. :)
R: LOL you are right. Tho, I've come across a lot of star wars fans out there in the fandom. lol

Give me a list of your current projects AND do you have any more fic plans in the future?
S: Current projects - I have about 6 unfinished novels that will probably remain that way. I have a friend who is a publisher who is smacking me around a lot lately saying "when are you going to stop with the copyrighted stuff and finish something I can publish" talk. I have another Twilight fanfic about Edward and Carlisle when Edward is first changed, but it will probably never be more than a one shot. Once H&D is complete I'll be working more full time on original fiction that fans of H&D will probably enjoy.
R: That sounds very interesting. Both the original fiction as well as the Edward and Carlisle o/s. Oh don't forget those H&D outtakes ;)
S: LOL! Yeah, yeah. In my "spare time". :) I'm sure I will do one or two, because ultimately it’s the readers i should please. And many have asked for BPOV
R: Yes I could see that being a popular request. LOL.

What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
S: To fanfic - Star Wars, originally. That was the first genre I knew about. I found it looking for anything and everything about Darth Maul, because I found the character so fascinating. I was a late comer to Twilight. My husband made me watch the movie and I thought it was okay, but didn't think much about it. I was playing around with my new iPod touch and I accidentally bought the book with "one touch shopping" and figured I was stuck with it, might as well read it. I had downloaded and read all four within a week. Then found Midnight Sun and went looking for more. That was in October.
R: Wow, just this past October? That’s interesting. So you're a newbie! Most of us have been around for 1-1.5years lol
S: I'm more than a little OCD so once I get started on something I tend to be very full steam ahead. Yeah - it was about 2 weeks before New Moon came out, I think. Dragged a friend of mine to it four times.

What is your background in writing?
S: I have written a lot, starting in about 3rd grade. I wrote my first "novel length" story in Jr. High. I took a couple of classes in college, but nothing serious. I read a LOT. I also have done a lot of technical writing. I haven’t had any formal training, really.

Which character do you identify with the most?
S: I don't think I identify with any of them, really. If I had to pick one to be like it would be Emmett. He just seems to always be having fun.

Which RL author inspires you?
S: At the moment, Michael Stackpole. I just d/l his new book, though I haven't started it yet. He's a fantastic writer and very well spoken. He's always giving great advice. He's fun to hang out with as well.
R: Ah so an author you've met?
S: Yes. I've know him for a few years. I was actually mistaken for his wife last summer, which was an interesting time. He's written who-knows-how many books and very interested in helping other authors. stormwolf.com Is his website.
R: What genre does he write?
S: fantasy and sci-fi

Did any FF authors inspire you?
S: In the sense that they pushed me into getting H&D started, yes. There are so many though. Like I said - I read a lot. I'm very bad with names - so I make sure I get everyone in my favorites because I'll never remember the authors name to find their story again later. Sometimes I read certain FF to remind myself what not to do as well. ;) I have about 30 stories in my favorites on Twilighted, but I've probably read close to 300 stories there. There are a lot of people who have been regulars on the forum in the H&D thread who have been very encouraging and helpful.
R: I'm going to have to swing by there!
S: I was completely shocked when someone made a banner and a blinkie for my story. I had no idea where those things came from and I have NO talent for such artistic endeavors.

What fics are you reading right now?
University of Edward Masen - SebastienRobichaud
Master of the Universe – Snowqueens Icedragon
Violet - bondgirl
Loner – Nilla
The sub/dom/training (all three) – tarasueme
Finding Bella - ekimmuh
A Litany at Dusk - duskwatcher2153
Edward Wallbanger - feathersmmm

Anything else you would like to add?
S: Not off the top of my head! You have been pretty thorough! I do want to thank everyone who has been reading and reviewing. I truly am humbled by the recognition this story has received. I'm ecstatic! It's been fantastic!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

There ya have it. Awesome fic. Awesome lady. Go read!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment