April 11, 2010

Rae’s interview with nerac about 'Stolen Singer'


Stolen Singer by nerac

Summary: What if destiny had composed her song for you, the notes yours alone to cherish-but in the blink of an eye they were stolen by one you trusted? Could you fix the broken notes-the shattered harmony? Could you still make beautiful music...together? AU, ExB

Stolen Singer is just as beautifully written as the summary describes. In the first chapter, we get a glimpse of Alice having multiple visions of the soon to be new girl in town, Bella Swan. The visions begin in 1987 when Bella is just a baby. Alice knew then, that Bella would have an incredible impact on their family some day, especially her lonely brother, Edward. In a much later vision, Alice see’s Edward’s intense bloodlust towards Bella. Jasper senses the overpowering bloodlust emanating off of Alice’s body due to her vision. In an instant, Jasper alters their fate and attacks Bella in the middle of the school. In a quick decision, they decide to let the change happen, taking Bella far away from Forks while in the midst of her transformation.

Stolen Singer is written in third person, something entirely different in a fandom full of first person narratives. The multiple perspectives we are provided with due to this style of writing, provides us with a depth and beauty that we might not see otherwise. Nerac has painted a beautiful picture of a budding intensity of the relationship that is forming between Edward and Bella. This story holds passion, suspense and I’m sure action is upon us with the most recent developments of the story. But if you want to find those out, you’re just going to have to check it out! ;)

- - - -

Here is my interview with the adorably sweet nerac (Caren).

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
Caren: The idea originally came out of the contest For The Love of Jasper. I always felt like he was a character who didn't get enough attention, and I wanted to create some kind of scenario where he could gain redemption, be a hero, you know? It was originally intended as a one shot and written entirely in his point of view, but I ended up deciding that it would work better as a multi-chaptered story.
Rae: I think you made the right choice! =)

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
Caren: I don't hate Jasper! I get a lot of questions like that, in my first story he was a major character and an integral part of the story. Even if it seems like he's always the person I put in the worst predicaments, it's only because I have a lot of love for his character, I like making people love him.
Rae: You definitely make me love him. I'm usually not that into Jasper… I don’t know why… but you make me more interested in his character.

Why should readers read your story?
Caren: That's difficult to answer. I don't know if they should read it, but I'm thankful for those that do, it's been a learning experiencing for me to write in a new way and also to tackle the issue of writing about vampires, so I'm still a bit scared of the portrayal I'm putting out there.
Rae: Why are you scared? I think you're doing a wonderful job. I don’t think I'm the only one either since I heard you broke 1k reviews after 9 chapters!
Caren: I've never been one of those people who can do the 'you should read my story right now because it's awesome' kind of writers. I'm very self conscious and I really am surprised every time I get a positive review. LOL
Rae: Well, I think people should read it because its beautifully written, clearly thought out, your characters are well developed... your characters emotions are tangible. I could really go on for days and days. :)
Caren: You're making me blush here, hehe. Thank you. :)
Rae: I like that your so humble about your writing. Cause it really is fantastic. I'm pretty sure you could do no wrong. =)
Caren: Okay, well... keep that in mind. *Whistles*
Rae: Ut-oh. I don't like the sound of that! -deep breath- I know you will not lead us astray :)

Do you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever.
Caren: I listen to music, I usually have my headphones on whenever I'm writing. I don't usually eat because I'm kind of OCD about food near my laptop.

What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
Caren: Edward is always Rob. Always. I didn't read the book until after the movie was out - so I can't get him from my mind. As for Bella, I never really imagine anyone other than KStew, as much as I really don't care for her all that much.
Rae: Same for me. It's hard not to! I can picture Alexis Bledel for your Bella... just because your Bella is so sweet and innocent.
Caren: Though I do think Alexis Bledel would have made a fantastic Bella. HAHAH
Rae: I always picture KStew for the more bitchier Bella's.
Caren: I can't believe we just did that, lol
Rae: LOL I think we had this discussion before



Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
Caren: I have an outline, but I don't do very well following it. I have everything planned, but the way it actually plays out is open to my own brain and the way the characters behave. It's also difficult to keep to it rigidly because of the third person perspective, at least for me, I find it difficult to keep things flowing if I pre-plan it, it has to work itself out for me.
Rae: I can understand that. It's a very difficult writing style.
Caren: It's taken a lot of adjustments

Do you have a posting schedule? If so what is it?
Caren: I try to stick to a weekly schedule, but it's not set - and it's not always weekly, but I try not to let it go past ten days at the most. It makes me antsy not to get chapters finished and posted. I know I probably shouldn't, but I feel like I have a duty to those who are reading the story to keep them happy.
Rae: That’s very sweet of you. I, however, think it's worth the wait. No matter how long it is :)

Do you believe in HEA? What is your definition of HEA?
Caren: I am a big believer in the HEA. But it's not always "Edward and Bella end up together and ride off into the sunset together with hundreds of babies and birds chirping." It all depends on the plot, the characters and of course whatever the conflict is for any of them. If I can finish a story feeling like the characters have the conflicts that were introduced resolved, then I can live with that. Even if it means they don't end up together.
Rae: Ooo that’s brave. I don’t know if I could handle that. LOL
Caren: I don't know if I could either, but I like to think I could... lol
Rae: I've only read one story where they don’t end up together that I've liked. lol
Caren: I've read one where they aren't together that is left kind of open to interpretation. (Sleepers, Awake) and that story worked for me because I felt like Bella got what she needed out of her life and she found what she wanted in the end. I, however, can promise I will never write a story where they don't end up together, because I'm a big sap and I can't do that.
Rae: Everyone keeps talking about that fic, I still need to read it. YAY! That makes me happy. lol.

Give us a Random Fact about yourself
Caren: I am incredibly shy, though it doesn't seem like it - if you were to meet me in real life, you would probably be surprised at how quiet I can be.

Give me a list of your current projects AND do you have any more fic plans in the future?
Caren: Currently I'm working on Stolen Singer the most, but I also have a few other projects in the pipe. I'm planning to continue Romeo for the Wedding Day, and possibly more beyond that, but we'll see. He seems to come to me at the strangest times.
Rae: Yay I love that he keeps coming back to play!
Caren: I also have two other fics that I've started outlining and writing for, but I have no idea when or if they will ever come to light. I keep trying to make myself take a break, but I don't know if that will happen.
Caren: Me too, he's fun... though someone did tell me today that all of the cussing and humor takes away from the romance. *Snort*
Rae: (and I'm hoping for some sexy times in the church after the rehearsal.. hint hint)
Caren: LOLOL So is Romeo. ;)

What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
Caren: My mother in law, of all things.
Rae: LOL
Caren: She bought me the book for Christmas last year, I read all four books in like, a week... and then I watched the movie more times than I can count. My friend Susan was teasing and said something like "Before you know it, you'll be reading fanfic." And then I went searching... and it's been a year... and I still can't stop.
Rae: It’s a pretty addicting world we're in lol

What is your background in writing?
Caren: I don't have one, at all. I went to college and graduated with a degree in business. I haven't done any creative writing since I was in junior high.
Rae: Then the talent comes naturally :)

OK FANTASY TIME If you could have 15 minutes with any Edward FF or SMs which one would you choose and would you do? If you do not LIKE any of the Edwards feel to substitute an actor (Rob, Kellen, PFach, whatever).
Caren: As much as I'd like to say Rob, I don't think I would want that. It might kill the fantasy.
Rae: lol
Caren: I don't know if I could choose one specific Edward, though - there are too many that I love - I tend to lean more toward the ones who are broken, because I want to fix them I'm a total sap.
Rae: me too! I just want to hold them.
Caren: I do too! And make cookies. LOL

What is your FF pet peeve?
Caren: I have a hard time with those who don't have enough pride in what they're putting out to make sure it is well read, but I don't know if that's a pet peeve or just that I'm bitchy. I know nobody is perfect, and neither am I, but I try my best and it just irks me when I see someone who doesn't try.
Rae: LOL I understand what you're trying to say. People that just throw their stuff up there without bothering to get a beta or at least read through it a few times before it's posted. It's just fan fiction, but it's important to still take pride in what you’re showing to the world.
Caren: Yep

What is your Fandom pet peeve?
Caren: The separation between groups of us, we're all doing the same thing. I don't understand why we should have to choose sides.
Rae: Yes, I agree.

Which one of your characters do you identify with the most?
Caren: Probably Edward in Picture Windows. He was the easiest to write, because I knew what he was feeling and going through. But, Bella in the Romeo series is totally my less respectful side. :) The relationship I write for those two is a lot like my own relationship with my husband.
Rae: You seem to take a lot of your personal experiences with you into your writing.
Caren: I have to... Writing what I know makes it easier for me.

Which RL author inspires you?
Caren: I don't really have any RL authors that inspire me, I haven't read a real book in far, far too long.
Rae: I know the feeling (other then books for school.. but that isnt fun)

Did any FF authors inspire you?
Caren: There are several who have inspired me. Everyone who is brave enough to try this, to put themselves out there, and to accept the good and the bad from what we do, inspires me every day.
Rae: Aw look how sweet you are

Tell us what fics have you obsessed.
Caren: I read a ton... but right now, I'm completely obsessed with With Teeth, Hide & Drink, Behind the Clouds, How to Save a Life and Expectations & Other Moving Pieces. Innocence is Dripping Red too, but I don't have to run to read those updates - I'm spoiled hehehe
Rae: That’s another one I need to read. I'm behind on her updates.

If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a question who would you ask and what would your question be?
Caren: I would ask Rob if he's really banging Kristen so I could get the speculation to stop.
Rae: LOL. Well, he's apparently allergic to vagina.. so I'm skeptical ;)
Caren: I think he might be gay. But I think that's just my own selfishness talking
Rae: I don’t think he's gay. Well, I don’t actually know. But I do know he's awkward and has no filter. So I think he was just trying to be funny.Caren: Yeah, I think so too.
Caren: I feel bad for the guy, he's so adorable and awkward and he just needs a break.
Rae: I mean look at all the talk about the elephants and his dog.. lol. I know. He's probably loosing his sanity. Haha
Caren: I think I would melt if he did the Kellan style photo-shoot with his puppy. I don't know if I could handle that kind of cute.

Anything else you would like to add?
Caren: I don't think so, hehe. I just want to say thank you for asking me to do this.
Rae: Thank you for letting me! Everyone should be reading your stuff. Just a simple fact.

- - - -

There ya have it folks; my interview with the completely sweet and down to earth nerac. GO read Stolen Singer. Now. =)

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment