April 11, 2010

Rae and Silver interview InstantKarmaGirl about 'Just Wait'



Photobucket
Banner by ReachingAsIfall

Just Wait by InstantKarmaGirl

For me, Just Wait is the story that proves that sometimes, fic diving really works. I found it on someone’s favorites list, and damn I am so glad I did! I recommended this to Rae as soon as I had finished what was there, and now we both freak out like crazy when we get the update email.

The story begins from Bella’s perspective, after Renee leaves her in the hands of her father and commenting that she’s had enough of her. After a visit to the hospital, it becomes clear that her mother has been abusing her for years. This is an early indication of the topics covered and the nature of what the story entails. It’s angsty, and at some points down right terrifying, but it is one of the most emotional fics I’ve ever read.

Despite Bella’s usage of drugs and sex as a way of gaining some sense of control over her life, she manages to start a friendship with Edward, the quiet, stuttering son of Dr Cullen. Bullied and suffering from his own cruel past, Edward is one of the only people Bella comes to interact with in her new life.

The story switches perspective between the two characters as they attend group therapy, interact with their friends and family and generally try and survive each moment. It is beautifully written, expressing emotions so powerful it is impossible to stop reading. Bella and Edward’s pasts are revealed slowly, keeping you thinking and guessing as to what could have brought them to this point. It is perfectly paced and the characters react so naturally in every instance. I don’t think I’ve ever worried for or cared for an Edward and Bella as much as I do in InstantKarmaGirl’s work.

- Silver Sniper

Summary: AH AU OOC In a world saturated by vices, Bella is forced to move in with her father to avoid the repercussions of her past deeds. But after she meets the socially withdrawn adopted son of the town's doctor, will she allow herself to open up and heal?
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Angst/Hurt/Comfort - Chapters: 35 - Words: 151,526 - Reviews: 3724 - Updated: 2-10-10 - Published: 8-21-09 - Edward & Bella

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
IKG: I've been thinking about this story or parts of this story for about 10 or 12 years. The inspiration, boiled down to its core is my need to understand human emotion and how it shapes people, both good and bad.
Rae: I was not expecting that deep of an answer! I like that. It's very interesting.
IKG: I can't not be deep
Rae: So were you planning on doing an original novel?
IKG: No. I just entertain myself with stories in my head. It's how I keep from going insane at work or being mindless as I wait for my five gallon jug of water to fill up at the grocery store. It really wasn't something that I was going to share.
Silver: I can really tell when reading your story that emotion is the basis of it, as you writing is so full of it- whether it be the emotions of the characters or the emotions we feel when reading.
IKG: There are a few concepts I'm exploring with this story and emotion is pivotal.

Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
IKG: No, I suppose not. I don't know how to answer that, so I'll go with no. I don't want the readers to know anything other than what's presented. Neither of my betas know where it's going, which is the way it's intended to be read.
Silver: So you like people to draw their own conclusions along the way?
IKG: Yes. Then they're either proven right or wrong.
Silver: do you prefer it if people are right or wrong?
IKG: I have no preference, although the more correct guesses means that I've been effective as a writer
Silver: That's really interesting
Rae: The one thing I love about your story is how effectively you've roped people in... conversation starts just about everywhere about it!
Silver: Yes, it is so compelling
InstantKarmaGirl: Really?
Silver: we all know I could talk about it for hrs lol
Rae: That’s the best kind of story, one that sparks discussion, theories and gets peoples emotions running wild. Oh absolutely. My emotions are all over the place when reading! I love it! LOL
Silver: There are so many opinions on it too. So many people read different things into it.
InstantKarmaGirl: I like the different perspectives.
Silver: It shows how well written your story is if you can get so many opposing ideas.

Why should readers read your story?
IKG: I can tell you why someone shouldn't read this story. First, it's not happy. Second, I've written 44 chapters so far and we're not even close to the climax. Third, it's not really traditional and I'm not going to give things to readers easily or quickly. But I do think people should read it if they're at all interested in the same things I am, namely exploration of dark topics through the harmless world of make believe.
Rae: I think you've been asked this before, but do you have an estimated number of chapters that this will total out to be? I'm in for the long hall! I'd read if there were 100. LOL
IKG: I had a detailed outline through 52, however I had a rough outline for multiple chapters after that and since I said that, I have found it impossible to cover half of what I originally planned on in those 52 chapters so I have no idea!

So do you do anything special while writing a chapter like listen to special music, need total silence, eat a bag of M&Ms, drink heavily, whatever …
IKG: No, not really. Sometimes I'll write to a certain song, but usually not. I can't have my ear buds in because then I can't hear the kids and there is never silence here. I can't eat M&Ms and my drinking days are largely over.

What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?
IKG: Probably quiet a crying baby, finish getting ready for work, or pretend to be Princess Leia for my kid.
Silver: Princess Leia? That's so cute!
IKG: Yes. He's into Star Wars now.
Rae: That’s really cute.

Do you have a soundtrack to your stories?
IKG: I've honestly just put together a playlist. Well, it was put together before Xmas and today I've just added the rest of it. It's syncing as we type!
Rae: Were will we be able to find that?
IKG: Um, on my iPod? Is there someplace you should find it?
Rae: LOL some authors share there playlists on websites.
IKG: I can probably do it, but it's a work in progress and sometimes I'm random in my music choices.
Rae: I was just curious. It can be simply for your enjoyment. =)
IKG: No, I mean if people care, I can share. I was just unaware that people would want that.
Rae: I would be curious as to what kinds of songs you have on there. But, I'm big into music.
IKG: Well, then I'll think about it. When I get a precious moment of free time I'll put something on my profile or something and add to it when called for.

What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Edward and Bella?
IKG: Mostly Rob and Kristen, although they shift from time to time depending on the scene. Some of it's written with nameless faces. But Kristen as Bella is less twitchy and Rob is sans makeup.
Silver: No blinkshurgging for your Bella
IKG: Maybe a little but not early as much
Rae: Kristen makes for a good Stonerella.. simply because she always looks stoned.. or pissed off! LOL which is kinda how your Bella is.
IKG: I agree. And I like Kristen’s bizarre awkwardness. I like the ratio of Rob and Kristin's bodies. He's much bigger than her and I like how they look together
Silver: I can't see either of them in your story lol
IKG: SS, that's awesome, who do you picture?
Silver: umm, hard to explain, I hardly ever see Rob or Kristen in fic. Your Bella in my mind looks more adult, escaping the world but is still so rooted in it. Kristen is too young. And you're Edward I see is more gaunt than Rob is, I don't know why.
IKG: I can see that, in both cases.

Do you have a posting schedule? If so what is it?
IKG: It used to be every Friday and then every Tuesday and Friday and now it's whenever I get it back from my betas and have time to edit... I'm trying to stay a certain amount of chapters ahead of posting.

What is your ideal ending for JW?
IKG: My ideal ending is an ending where people say "Hmmm. That was realistic." Whether they love it or hate it, it doesn't really matter to me. What matters is that they have an opinion either way, but idealistically, the ending will be something satisfying to me which will also be satisfying to others.

Give us a Random Fact about yourself.
IKG: At one time in my life I had 36 house plants. How's that for random?
Rae: LOL I like it.
Silver: Wonderful!
IKG: They were all on different watering schedules.
Silver: hahah

Give me a list of your current projects AND do you have any more fic plans in the future?
IKG: I have about twenty stories that I want to write right now. I'm writing another story to go with my Jasper fic 10 seconds at a time and then a follow up to Edward's Awkward Erections (or Don't Tell Alice) and then I've got this football fic playing in my head and I have a very angsty Jessica/Edward-Edward/Bella with some written scenes and I have a ten year reunion fic with about 30 pages written. But I'm pretty hard core with JW right now. I take little breaks when my mind demands a break. Oh, and I've got a Jalice fic in my head too.
Silver: Wow that's a lot! Very exciting!
Rae: Lots of great stuff to look forward to!

What brought you to fanfic? To Twilight?
IKG: I've been writing fanfic for 12 years. My friend introduced me to it. I came to Twilight because everyone was talking about the books and wanted to know if I saw the movie. I didn't want to watch the movie but I picked up the first book because I kinda dig on vampires.
Silver: 12 years, wow a lot of experience then.
IKG: Yeah, some stuff I've never published. I had a bit of a break and then came back to it.

What is your background in writing?
IKG: I wrote my first story in 5th grade. It was a mystery set at summer camp and it was probably pretty crappy but I was just learning about creating a climax, etc. That was it until I found fanfic. Unless you count writing journals. My high school journals were incredibly angsty. I quoted Green Day A LOT.

Which character do you identify with the most?
IKG: In my story or in SM's books?
Rae: How about both?
IKG: I tend to identify with Jasper in both. His whole repressed/explosive personality is kinda/sorta recognizable within me, just less violent.
Silver: I do like your Jasper, can't wait to learn more about him. He intrigues me
Rae: I agree

Which RL author inspires you?
IKG: With RL authors, I go through phases. For awhile it was Steinbeck. Tolkein always does it for me and JK Rowling's later HP books are awesome. I don't really read a lot of modern novels.

Did any FF authors inspire you?
IKG: As for FF, I admire the authors of the stories that I've rec'ed. I like daring authors who make characters dirty and unlikeable. I like people authors who write about darkness and the little bits of light that can shine through.
Silver: I'll agree with you there
Rae: Me too! I love a good dark and angsty fic

Any recs for us?
IKG: University of Edward Masen. I love that story sfm right now I cannot even begin to say how much. It's incredibly intelligent and the way the author plays with power just OWNS me. I was a history major, so the chivalry thing is so well used in this story that I couldn't dislike it if I tried.

Of course, you know that I love Eye Contact and have for a while. Aro's Heir is damn good too. And I love Bsmog's A Long Walk Home because she moves me to tears with her accuracy and dedication to the time period. Hydraulic Level 5 is wonderful and she's delving into the issue of serious mental health, which is of big importance to me.

If you could ask any Twilight Cast member a question who would you ask and what would your question be?
IKG: Billy Burke: Why do you not rock the 'stache outside of the Twilight Saga? You, sir, were meant to be 'stached. Quit fighting it.
Silver: Oh perfect, I love it!
Rae: LOL Love it
IKG: Well, you both know about my thing for facial hair.
Silver: hehe yes bearded rob

Anything else you would like to add?
IKG: About bearded Rob and his whiskers of sexiness or in general?
Rae: LOL In general.
IKG: In regards to Rob's beard, it's the best thing that Rob's done since joining the cast of Twilight. And in general, thanks to anyone who has read and flounced and anyone who has read and continued to read.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment