August 4, 2015

How do you choose a book to read?

I saw this article all over twitter http://jezebel.com/homme-de-plume-what-i-learned-sending-my-novel-out-und-1720637627

and aside from being upset for all the women writers I know
I thought
what the hell!
I do not look at the name of the author when looking for books to read

Here is what usually happens
someone on twitter recommends a book
I go to Amazon and look
if I like the summary I buy it

WHAT?? you mean all that money spent on advertising and street teams and I do not pay attention to any of it?
YUP
I like to see things by authors I trust ones I have enjoyed in the past
I also like to read things from new authors recced to me by friends

OR if I am over on Netgalley looking for books this is the order

Cover catches my eye
summary
then I request it

SO tell me people

How do you choose?

Leave me a comment here or on Facebook I would make a poll but Im lazy
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Debbie in S. Florida said...

I was also upset over the article you mentioned. I absolutely never buy books based on the author's gender. I find books to read pretty much the same way you do - start with recs, usually, or a summary on Bookbub. If it sounds good, then I read a few reviews (but even the bad ones don't keep from buying). I rarely pay attention to the author's name until that point, and I really don't care if it's a man or woman if it sounds good. Makes me crazy to think that writers are being judged solely by their gender and not their talent. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Post a Comment