November 28, 2011

Sue's interview with mythorlegend about her fic 'After the Storm'



After a pandemic has ravaged the world, leaving less than a percent of the population alive, Bella struggles to find her place amid the chaos and violence that has been left behind. AH. BxE
Twilight - Rated: M - English - Angst/Drama - Chapters: 3 - Words: 14,524 - Reviews: 20 - Updated: 11-11-11 - Published: 7-8-11 - Bella & Edward


This is another fic that was recc'd to me by Autumn. It is pretty new and does not have many chapters. However, the ones that are up are captivating! 

If you like distopian fiction this is a good fic to sink your teeth into. The premise: a devastating pandemic flu has hit the world. Only 1 % of the population survives. So no electricity, no communications and people go savage in their attempts to survive in a lawless world. Travel is difficult because raiders will steal what they can. Cars make noise so going on foot is the safest way to go. The only thing people have to hold onto is rumors of safety in different places. 

I love it. The descriptions are vivid and I am curious to see where our writer takes us on this adventure.

You know what to do read the interview read the fic leave the love and let me know if this is something you enjoy too!

~~~~~~~~~~

What was it that gave you the ‘spark’ for your story?   Was it a picture? A moment or event? Can you remember the initial inspiration?
I can remember the initial "spark". I've always been a fan of post apocalyptic stuff and I happen to be watching the TV show The Walking Dead and me and my husband always have discussions about what would REALLY happen if the world was thrown into this kind of chaos. While I didn't want to do a "zombie" story, I wanted to try my hand at something that would give me a chance to explore that world.

Do you have a particular process when it comes to your writing, perhaps a certain mood, environment or music? Do you have any ‘triggers’ to get you in the writing mood?
Yes, usually reading.  Sometimes its reading other fic, sometimes its reading a book. Usually something about the way someone phrased something will get my juices flowing so to speak and then I'll have to write. It also helps if my husband is playing a video game or something because then I can usually write uninterrupted.

Give us an elevator pitch. Say you’re in an elevator with a prospective reader for 2 minutes – what would you tell them about the story?
I've never been good at these, but I will do my best!
A virus has swept the world leaving only a very small population left. With no industry and no government left, there is only chaos.  Bella Swan is a survivalist, traveling across the country in a world with road gangs and very dangerous people, to find try and find her father--if he is even alive anymore.  Think Book of Eli, but she isn't as cool as Denzel and there is no book. 

Do you picture particular actors for your characters, or are they someone else entirely? If so, who?
Rob, but not Edward if that makes sense. As for Bella, she is sort of a picture in my head. I don't really base her off Kristen Stewart.

Is the story all planned out or do you do it as a fly by the seat of your pants thing?
I usually have some sort of plan, but it is loose.  I find when I write, sometimes what I plan does not work. The characters take over and something I needed to happen doesn't because as I'm writing it, I realize that it doesn't make sense for the character. So while I have plans, I have to allow them to evolve as the story evolves.  I'm actually jealous of those who can write out a plan and then follow it to the letter.  I wish I had that skill.

Do you have a Beta and would you like to give him/her a shoutout here?
At the moment I do not have a beta, but I am tracking down some leads.



Have you got any other projects going on? Any planned for the future?
Not at the moment. This one is enough.  

What was it that brought you to Twilight fanfic?  What is it that has kept you here (besides your own writing)
I can't remember what brought me here because it has been so long, but I can tell you what has kept me here.  The fan base and really the other writers.  In my opinion, many of them are better than Meyer herself.  And really, you could take away the names "Edward" and "Bella" and maybe a couple details and you would have completely original stories in many cases.  I love that about this fandom.

Do you have a background in writing?  
If by background in writing you count writing fanfiction for years, then yes.  Otherwise, besides some creative writing classes, no. I'm an elementary school teacher.

How about your creative self-confidence? By nature writers tend to be a notoriously insecure lot so how are you finding the online writing experience?
Its up and down. Sometimes I'll write something and feel good about it, only to read it months later and go WTF was I thinking?? I've also had strange dealings with fan fictions. Sometimes people are really supportive and sometimes people just tear you down. As a writer you put so much effort and so much of yourself into stories. You open yourself up when you allow people to read what you've written and when you're met with backlash and anger (not just criticism) it stings. I don't let my husband read much of what I write because it is that personal. The internet allows you some anonymity. 

Do you tell your friends and family that you’re an online author with a devoted following, or is this something that you tend to keep for yourself?
My husband knows and teases me, but he isn't allowed to read it.  Once I got him to co-author something with me (for Firefly) but he mostly stays out of this world. I have a few people who I know who found out I write and liked Twilight and so started following me, and it was so strange. We'd be out to dinner with a group and someone would turn to me and ask how Bella or Edward were going to do something and it was just SO strange.  So mostly people don't know, but that has less to do with it being fan fiction and more to do with that insecure writer thing.

Is there a particular character in your story that you identify with the most?  
Bella I guess. But my Bella. I think everyone has a different Bella. Well, maybe not everyone.  


Which RL author(s) inspires you?
I'd love to be able to write like George R.R. Martin (Song of Fire and Ice). His books are SO long but NEVER boring. Also, Charlene Harris is pretty great (Sookie Stackhouse). One book series I really fell in love with is the Hunger Games, mainly because its young adult, but they were still able to get pretty dark with it and I prefer heavier material.

Did any FF authors inspire you?   What was it that had you reading FF and thinking “I could do this”?
Well, to be fair, Twilight isn't my first tumble into ff.  It probably goes back to Firefly. I loved that series and with only 14 episodes and a movie, I needed more, so I started reading fic and fell in love.  I'd always loved writing so after I had exhausted much of the fic (it is a smaller fandom than Twilight) I started writing on my own and fell in with a really great and supportive crowd.  After that I'd moved to different fandoms like Veronica Mars and Supernatural.  I found a really great place with Twilight though because the fandom is just so supportive and wonderful.  
As far as writers that inspire me: TallulahBelle  (story Elemental) is fantastic.  AngstGoddess003 and spanglemaker9 are two others who I really enjoy.

What advice would you give to an aspiring fanfic writer?
Just do it.  Your first story may not be your best, but you only get better with more practice.  And get a beta.  I know I don't have one, but I need one and so do you!  

Give us a Random Fact about yourself?
I love the board game Quelf.


If you could have 15 minutes with anyone alive or dead real or fictional who would it be and what would you say to them?
Does it sound super religious if I say Jesus?  Honestly, I'd want to meet the man and talk to him and find out more about this crazy world we live in.

What is your FanFic Pet peeve?
My FanFic pet peeve is chapters or (or in some cases whole stories) that just have no point.  If a story is all about Alice and Bella shopping and all the different clothes they try on, I want to claw my eyes out.  Not every moment can be action packed, but what your writing should be significant in some way.

What is your Fandom Pet peeve?

Reviews that say "I liked it" or "I don't like this".  I'm glad you liked it (or sad you didn't), and I do appreciate that you clicked the review button, but is that all you have to say?  That's not just this fandom though, its fandom in general

Anything else you would like to add?
I appreciate anyone who reads my stories and I hope you bear with me through this one.  I'm an elementary school teacher in my first year and so I'm crazy busy, but I LOVE writing and this story is so much fun for me.  So keep with me.  :D


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment