October 18, 2010

Silver's interview with Kenoshachick about her Hunger Games fic 'Scars'


Post-CF. Peeta is rescued from the Capitol by Katniss and her band of rebels; however, after months of torture it is unknown if he will survive. It is also unknown if Katniss will survive if he doesn't. Majority written prior to the publication of MJ.


When I first finished Catching Fire, I started searching for something to read while waiting for Mockingjay to be released. Rae told me to check out “Scars” and I was hooked from the moment I began reading.  I can’t recommend this story enough to anyone who is a fan of Peeta/Katniss. The plot is original but follows on well from the ending of Catching Fire, and all of the characters are both real and well written.  It would now be considering an alternative ending to Mockingjay, and at sometimes I almost prefer it. The author is wonderful  (even though her writing sometimes makes my heart break and her views on Alex Pettyfer make me sad) and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to interview her.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Where did you get the idea for this story? What was your inspiration?
K: Well, I should point out right away that the story was originally a one-shot. So, way back when I read Catching Fire, the scene I was envisioning over and over again was Katniss and Peeta's reunion. So, what I wrote for the first chapter is my dream scenario of how they might have reunited.
S: Why did you decide to continue it?
K: Prodding and poking from readers mostly. I wouldn't have continued it if I didn't have a decent idea, but once I had a couple I couldn't let the story rest.
It was a one-shot, then it was going to be only 5 chapters, and now it's over 100k. It's hard for me to believe I've extended it so much.
S: But you like writing it, so it's all worth it, and it's a great story
K: Aw, thanks. I will miss it when it's complete.
S: Anytime.  Is it strange writing it now that MJ has come out?
K: Yes and no. I really wanted it to be finished before MJ came out so that it would be uninfluenced by MJ, but that didn't happen.
It's strange for me to write a character that I know is killed off in MJ. Immediately after I read MJ it actually made me feel sick. Thankfully, I've gotten past that.
S: I don't think I'm ever getting over the loss of Finnick
K: His death was tough. I don't know that I'll get over it either. Scars is so different from MJ, not only in plot, but also characterizations, that it doesn't feel strange. It's truly its own universe at this point.
S: yes, you can distance yourself from those aspects
K: It still feels connected to HG and CF to me, but not MJ


Why do you think readers should read your story?
K: Hm. If you love Peeta/Katniss then you should read it. In fact, I think that's why most people do.
S: I'm guilty of that one. My need to P/K after CF caused me to find it. So thank you lol
K: I love them, too. I like to give them fluff. Especially after MJ.
S: Oh god yes.  After all they went through, they need some happiness, I was sad that we didn't see much of it at the end
K: I was sad for that too. I was also sad that all the P/K moments in MJ were recycled from the other two books. I realize I sound like a fangirl, but I was sad for the lack of swoon-worthy moments.
S: No, I understand what you mean. Especially as Peeta had such a way with words, but didn't really use them in the last book.
K: Every character in that book can be mourned over. Even if they didn't physically die, every part of their personality is destroyed. Breaks my heart. I need the fluff.
S: Which is why we all turn to fanfiction.


Is there anything you would want readers to know specifically?
K: I guess I want readers to realize that it did start as a one-shot, so there are occasionally holes in the story. I try to cover as much as I can, but I don't want it to be a constant rehashing of the stuff I didn't think of when it was a one-shot.And that it's P/K-centric. It's more of a romance than it is an action/adventure story.


Give us a Random Fact about yourself
K: Ooh...random
Hmm...oh! I have a pushmi-pullyu
S: I'm gonna need to know what that is lol
K: haha. I hoped you would ask.
A pushmi-pullyu (push-me-pull-you) is from the original movie/musical Dr. Dolittle. It's a two front halves of a llama stuck together. In 1967, they made stuffed animal ones, and last Christmas my mom gave me one as a gift. Best Christmas ever. It looks like this 
S: oh wow! It's so adorable. Are they rare?
K: They are the rarest animals in the world, according to Dr. Dolittle.
S: then you're very lucky to have one
K: Yes, I have a wonderful mom


Do you do anything special while writing a chapter? Eat or drink anything in particular, listen to music?
K: Sit in complete silence. My brain does not handle multiple media at the same time. I'm a terrible procrastinator too. Sometimes I even have to pull out the internet cord.
S: Sometimes it's necessary though.


What do you do after you click the submit button for a chapter?
K: The first thing I do is read the chapter online find the mistakes I didn't find when I proofed it in Word. Then try to fix them quick before anybody reads them. Lol
S: lol. Do you usually find many?
K: There's always a couple. Something about the change in formatting suddenly makes them stand out.
S: Yeah, it's as if you're looking with fresh eyes
K: Exactly.
Do you have a soundtrack to your stories?
K: Not my HG stories. I used to develop playlists when I would listen to my iPod while I walked to class, but I graduated, so I don't listen to my iPod as much.
S: are there any songs that remind you of the story or characters?
K: Not really. I'm boring like that, I'm afraid. However, Muse songs fit into HG very well.


What actor/actress do you picture as YOUR Peeta, Katniss and Gale?
K: The characters are usually faceless as I'm writing them. But if I had to pick some visuals that I like, Hunter Parrish for Peeta, Kaya Scodelario for Katniss, Tom Sturridge for Gale.
S: That would be what turns me Team Gale.
K: I'm generally not attracted to blonde guys, so whoever does play Peeta one day, is going to have to win me over. Or I'll be on Team Gale, too.


Do you believe in HEA?
K: Sure. I like the occasional HEA. In HG I don't think they work though
HG has a sense of reality to it. The characters are selfish and flawed and human, and consequently they should have a flawed ending.
MJ ended tragically, aside from the fact that they won the war, but for the characters we care about it was tragic. I don't think I could go as dark as Collins does.
S: I agree, HG can never be completely happy, otherwise it goes against the purpose of the book
K: Yes. As a general reading rule I prefer bittersweet endings. But I wouldn't call the ending of MJ bittersweet. It was far more bitter than sweet.
But for fic, I'm more accepting of HEA. Fic is for fun, and for some people, HEA is the most fun.


Give me a list of your current projects.
K:  Scars and First Date are my priorities. I've also got some Twilight fic that needs to be finished. I'd really like to get some stuff finished before I even think about starting something new.


Do you have any more fic plans in the future? 
K: Uh...no. Completing Scars would make me very happy,  since I considered it complete twice already.
S: Do you think you will write more once your current projects are done?
K: I don't really know. Right now I don't have any ideas, but First Date came out of nowhere so that could happen again.
S: I hope it does, as I really love that story
K: First Date is fun. I like it lot too.


What brought you to fanfic? To The Hunger Games?
K: I've been reading fanfic for a long time. I think I joined FFn in 2005. So, whenever I find a book I really like I'll scope out the fanfic. I think Stephenie Meyer introduced me to HG in general. Which was too bad for her because she pulled me out of the Twilight fandom and into the HG fandom.


What is your background in writing?
K: Nothing except the standard English composition classes everyone takes in college. I've never taken creative writing. So please regard my stories as strictly amateur.
S: Your stories are well written and really good reads. So not amateur really
K: Thanks. I know I've improved since I started so I'm pleased to see that.


What is your FF pet peeve?
K: Hm. I'm trying to think of HG fanfic cliches...but there aren't really many of them
S: Not yet, anyway
K: Yup. I guess one thing that bothers me is when a story is P/K, Gale becomes a villian, and when the story is K/G, Peeta is a villain. That's just bad characterization.
S: I agree completely.
K: A difference from Twilight fic is that if you want a Edward/Bella story you can leave Jacob out completely and get away with it. You can't do that in HG fanfic. You can't just get rid of Gale or Peeta. I shouldn't say that, I've never seen it done successfully.


What is your Fandom pet peeve?
K: When I was very involved in Twi fandom I never encountered any sort of drama. Since being in the HG fandom, which is a smaller community, I have been on the periphery of some drama, and I don't care for it.


Which RL author inspires you?
K: Dorothy Parker. I don't write much humor, but she's amazing. And J.D. Salinger for intelligent angst. And Suzanne Collins. I love how she writes so much punch in very few words. I tend to ramble on and on
S: it's a real talent to be able to put so much into a few words. I admire those who can do it


Do any FF authors inspire you?
K: The ones that come to mind are sleepyvalentina, dani (UtAT), and Medea Smyke. The one thing they all have in common is that they use few words to write something big, but they all do it different ways. sleepyvalentina writes very intelligently, and dani is emotionally jarring, and then Medea is concise yet still incredibly detailed.
I want to be like them
S: I think you're very good in your own right. Give yourself more credit lol!
K: I'll try. People tell me that all the time.


Do you have any recs for us?
K: I afraid I can't give out my recs since I started writing for Muttations. Well, I mean, I could, they didn't make it a rule or anything. I just want authors to be surprised when I recommend them. But you can go here and read the ones I picked already.


Anything else you would like to add?
K: Oh, only thank you for having me. I hope to see more things like this where quality HG fic and author are being recognized. I hope this is just the beginning of things to come.
S: I hope so too. Thanks for letting me chat with you!
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun interview! (: Hats and props to both of you guys for a great job!

Post a Comment